Once viewed as a fringe substance, CBD has now made its way into the mainstream. Due to a continuing lack of FDA regulation, however, there are no overarching quality standards in the CBD industry.
As a result, its up to consumers to determine which CBD products are high-quality and effective. To make it easier for you to choose CBD oil brands that offer the best value and the safest products, we put together this detailed review of the best CBD brands of 2021 and beyond.
Lets start with a brief overview of the brands we chose. Well provide details on why we chose these brands as we proceed:
The first five brands in our list might offer the best CBD products, but they arent the only high-quality options on the market. Well also briefly cover the following five brands in our review:
To find the best CBD oil companies on the market, we devised a set of criteria that we applied to each brand that we considered. Leveraging our own expertise and calling upon the insight of industry experts, we determined the value that each brand in our list provides by thoroughly evaluating the following factors:
There are dozens of different ways to make CBD, and some brands cut corners to boost their profits. We took dozens of different factors into account as we determined the overall credibility of each brand we reviewed.
These are just a few examples of the variables we used to determine brand credibility.
U.S. hemp is the highest-quality, and using hemp grown in the United States supports the domestic agricultural economy. Brands that used organically grown hemp cultivated in the United States received the highest grades.
We also took into account factors such as whether a brands hemp was U.S. hemp authority-certified or non-GMO. At this point, non-GMO hemp is the standard in the industry, so we disqualified brands that used hemp that was genetically modified.
There are a variety of solvents that brands can use to extract CBD from hemp. Some of these solvents are difficult to purge from finished products, however, and they can cause respiratory harm.
Carbon dioxide is widely recognized as the safest extraction solvent for hemp. As a result, brands that use CO2 extraction received high scores while brands that use butane, ethanol, or acetone extraction were penalized.
In lieu of FDA regulation, third-party lab testing has become the gold standard for determining a hemp products safety and quality. CBD products that have been third-party lab tested can be verified as not containing contaminants.
However, there are quite a few different third-party lab test providers on the market, and some are less independent than they seem. In addition to making sure that products were tested, we also looked at which company provided the lab tests for each of the hemp brands we examined.
You can learn a lot from how a CBD brand handles its customer service. Obviously, customers are better served by brands that respond quickly and offer courteous customer service.
If a CBD brands customer service is lackluster, however, that brand might also be lacking in other ways. We checked each brands customer service capabilities to determine its overall integrity and attention to detail.
Were no strangers to the CBD industry. Weve watched interest in CBD grow over the years, and weve observed the highest and lowest points in the industrys history.
Over time, the experts who put together this guide have had plenty of chances to compare and contrast CBD companies. Weve seen which companies have risen to the top, and weve seen how they achieved these results.
At the same time, weve become familiar with the most common points of failure within the CBD industry. We developed our evaluation criteria based on longitudinal research into the brand factors that are most likely to result in high-quality CBD products.
Without further ado, lets unveil the five brands that currently produce the industrys best CBD products. Each of these brands brings something different to the table, but they all offer high-quality, reliable CBD.
After extensively considering each brands benefits and detractors, we determined that Colorado Botanicals offers the best products for the most reasonable prices. This brand offers similar product types to major competitors, but it enhances these products benefits by tapping into the hemp plants true potential.
Colorado Botanicals is a smaller brand, so we were initially skeptical regarding how this company would hold up against bigger competitors. Every aspect of the Colorado Botanicals brand, however, met our strict criteria for excellence.
Here are some of the highlights of Colorado Botanicals that convinced us of this brands credibility:
Colorado Botanicals uses CO2 extraction to produce its broad-spectrum CBD oil products. Using an advanced distillation process that leaves terpenes intact while removing all traces of THC, Colorado Botanicals produces high-quality broad-spectrum distillate.
This distillate does not contain waxes, chlorophyll, or unnecessary lipids. It has a mild taste that is made even more pleasant by its high terpene content.
All Colorado Botanicals products contain broad-spectrum CBD oil. In contrast with full-spectrum CBD oil, this type of purified and refined CBD is entirely THC-free, assuaging potential concerns regarding THC contamination in CBD products.
Whats most impressive about Colorado Botanicals products is their high terpene concentrations. Often overlooked in the CBD industry, terpenes are beneficial substances found in Cannabis sativa that each have unique properties.
Its important to note that the terpenes found in Colorado Botanicals broad-spectrum CBD oil are not reintroduced into the finished product. Instead, they are the original terpenes present in the CBD-rich hemp flower that Colorado Botanicals cultivates.
Reintroduced terpenes can cause contamination issues, and they dont provide the same effects as terpenes that are naturally present in CBD extract. Were impressed that Colorado Botanicals knows the difference and only includes naturally occurring terpenes in its products.
Why are terpenes so important? Scientists believe that terpenes may contribute to the entourage effect, which is a theorized form of Cannabis sativa synergy that may occur when cannabinoids and terpenes are used together.
Initially believed to primarily apply to interactions between cannabinoids, researchers have now recognized that terpenes may be just as essential to the activation of the entourage effect. CBD products that contain terpenes may be more effective or provide more benefits than products that do not.
In addition to potentially contributing to the entourage effect, terpenes also have individual benefits. Found in many other plants aside from Cannabis sativa, terpenes have been studied for decades for their potential beneficial effects.
Heres some information on common hemp terpenes and the potential benefits they might bring to the table:
To give you an idea of just how seriously Colorado Botanicals takes terpenes, here are the results from one of this brands recent lab tests:
Since testing for terpenes is an added service, most CBD brands fail to determine the exact concentrations of terpenes present in their products. Colorado Botanicals, on the other hand, makes sure that their third-party lab tests contain detailed terpene information.
The price per milligram of CBD varies among Colorado Botanicals products. Well use this brands 1500mg CBD tincture as a baseline, however, since many brands produce similar tinctures.
This product presently costs $110, so the CBD in this tincture costs $0.073 per milligram. This price is standard within the industry, and Colorado Botanicals tinctures offer added value due to their terpene content.
Colorado Botanicals lab reports are available in PDF form in a public Google Drive folder that is linked on each product page. They test their products and extracts at FESA Labs and ProVerde Laboratories. They provide detailed information on the cannabinoid, terpene, and contaminant concentrations present in each product.
In our experience, Colorado Botanicals offered excellent customer support. This brand provides a contact form, email address, and phone number you can use to get in touch with customer service.
A representative answered the phone immediately when we called. We received a response to an emailed inquiry on the same day.
Colorado Botanicals has received ISO 9001:2015 certification for its production facility. This brand uses cGMP processes to produce its products.
Here are the highs and lows of this exemplary CBD brand:
Visit Colorado Botanicals by clicking here.
With more than 5,000 customer reviews, Medterra is one of the nations most popular CBD oil brands. The quality of Medterras CBD was exceptional, and we did like the cannabinoid content of their oil. They did contain higher amounts of cannabinoids than usually seen in CBD products. However, they didnt test for terpenes, which doesnt clarify if their extracts contain the terpene contents like Colorado Botanicals.
When testing out their CBD oil, we did notice it to be one of the most effective ones from this list, hence why we ranked it number 2 out of 10.
Medterra is certainly one of the most credible CBD oil brands. This companys site content is on-point, and Medterra provides plenty of information on each of the products it produces.
Medterra uses CO2 extraction to produce its products. Based on customer reviews and our own research, Medterra CBD is highly purified, and it doesnt contain any waxes, excess lipids, or chlorophyll.
Medterra used to offer full-spectrum CBD oil products. Nowadays, however, this brand only produces broad-spectrum CBD and CBD isolate products.
Medterra offers a 1000mg broad-spectrum CBD tincture for $59.99. As a result, this brand provides a CBD price-per-milligram of only $0.059, which is one of the lowest prices found in the industry.
Third-party lab reports from Green Scientific Labs are easy to find on each Medterra product page. While these reports include results for dozens of solvents and pesticides, they do not include results for terpenes.
Unfortunately, it does not appear that Medterra takes the benefits of terpenes very seriously. This lamentable perspective is also clear to see in Medterras CBD isolate products, which dont contain any terpenes whatsoever.
Medterra offers a live chat service. In our experience, however, customer service agents are rarely available for live chat. Instead, customers can contact Medterra by phone, email, or contact form.
Medterra products are U.S. hemp authority-certified. However, this brand does not provide any information certifications it may have achieved for its production facilities.
Here are the most important benefits and detractors of Medterra:
Visit Medterra by clicking here.
Full-spectrum CBD can be hit-and-miss, but some CBD users swear by the benefits of full-spectrum products. With more than 20,000 reviews, Nuleaf Naturals is the most popular provider of full-spectrum hemp products on the market, and we like the simplicity of this brands product lineup.
We noticed positive effects, and why it landed so high on the list despite the high cost it comes at.
Nuleaf Naturals is highly regarded, and this brands website is clean and simple. Its hard not to feel like a brand has credibility when it has accumulated so many positive customer reviews.
Nuleaf uses CO2 to extract its CBD, further improving our impression of this brand. This brand uses a type of full-spectrum oil called winterized CBD, which is more raw than refined.
Nuleaf Naturals products contain winterized full-spectrum CBD, which might appeal to some consumers since its so raw and unrefined. Winterized extract, however, contains waxes, chlorophyll, and other substances that might taste unpleasant or impair ingestion.
Nuleaf Naturals offers 1,800mg full-spectrum tinctures for $179. As a result, this brands CBD costs around $0.099 per milligram, one of the industrys highest prices.
Nuleafs lab reports are hard to find, and they arent product-specific. However, this brands third-party testing is provided by Botanacor, a reputable lab.
Nuleaf provides customer support via phone, email, and contact form. Our call was answered immediately since we called during business hours, but it took around 24 hours to receive a response to our email.
Nuleaf Naturals doesnt provide information regarding any certifications this brand might hold.
Here are what we considered to be the highs and lows of Nuleaf Naturals:
Visit Nuleaf Naturals by clicking here.
Bluebird Botanicals has been around since 2012, and this brand is still going strong. While the quality of the full-spectrum and CBD isolate products Bluebird Botanicals offers certainly seems satisfactory, we were more impressed by this brands prices.
If youre looking for quality CBD for the price, this is probably the best option. In terms of effectiveness when compared to other brands, it is one of the best.
Any CBD brand thats been around for more than eight years carries plenty of clout. While the Bluebird Botanicals website was relatively cluttered, it contained plenty of useful information, and this brand is highly transparent regarding where it sources its hemp and how it produces its products.
Bluebird Botanicals uses a mix of CO2 extraction and ethanol extraction. This brand then uses steam distillation to remove impurities from its extracts. Its unclear why Bluebird also uses ethanol if this company also has access to CO2 extraction facilities.
Most of the products Bluebird Botanicals offers include full-spectrum CBD. In contrast with Nuleaf, Bluebird uses distillation to remove impurities like chlorophyll from its CBD oil.
However, Bluebird leaves traces of THC behind in its extracts instead of choosing to produce broad-spectrum CBD. To boost its lineup with THC-free products, Bluebird also provides a few offerings that contain CBD isolate.
Bluebirds Extra Strength Classic CBD Oil tincture contains 1500mg CBD, and it costs $99.95. As a result, this products price-per-milligram is $0.066, making Bluebird Botanicals CBD highly affordable.
Instead of linking to lab reports on product pages, Bluebird provides them all on a single page, making it difficult to access the report youre looking for. This brand breaks its third-party lab results into multiple sections, making the process a bit more confusing.
However, Bluebird tests for terpenes, heavy metals, mycotoxins, and a variety of other variables. Even though the reports may be difficult to access, this brands lab reports are among the industrys most thorough.
We found Bluebirds customer service team to be highly accessible and responsive. This brand provides a contact form, a phone number, and multiple email addresses.
Bluebird Botanicals has received a number of certifications, including:
It does not appear, however, that Bluebirds production facilities have been ISO certified.
Heres what we liked and disliked about Bluebird Botanicals
Visit Bluebird Botanicals by clicking here.
cbdMD is known for its prominent partnerships with athletes and other celebrities. This brands products are so-so in terms of quality, but theyre offered for reasonable prices. cbdMD also offers the highest potency of CBD in a bottle with 7,500mg of CBD in a 30mL bottle.
The cbdMD website is remarkably well-built, and this brand produces informative content.
cbdMD operates one of the best CBD eCommerce websites weve seen. This brands site loads quickly, and its full of informative content.
cbdMD uses CO2 extraction to produce its crude hemp extracts. While cbdMD doesnt provide any information directly stating how it refines its extracts, we assume that this brand uses steam distillation.
cbdMD products contain broad-spectrum CBD extract, though its hard to discover this fact without considerable research. This brand sources its hemp from farms located in the United States.
cbdMD offers a 1500mg tincture for $99.99. As a result, this product has a price-per-milligram of $0.067, which is relatively standard within the industry.
We were very impressed with the procedure cbdMD uses to provide lab reports to consumers. First of all, this brands lab reports are conducted by SC Laboratories, one of the nations most respected independent labs.
Theres a huge, highlighted button on every product page that you can use to load cbdMDs lab reports. These reports appear as a popup window, and there are buttons you can use to either download or print the lab report for a particular product.
cbdMDs lab reports are remarkably detailed, but they reveal that this brands products dont contain considerable concentrations of terpenes. We wish that cbdMD provided lab report archives, not just the results of the latest test.
cbdMD customer support is reachable by live chat, email, contact form, and phone. We found cbdMDs email support agents to be responsive and helpful.
In 2020, cbdMD received NSF International Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) registration. This certification confirms that cbdMDs production facilities adhere to the latest cGMP standards. cbdMD is also a member of the U.S. Hemp Roundtable.
Heres a brief summary of the highs and lows of cbdMD:
Visit cbdMD by clicking here.
Weve already covered the five best CBD oil companies of 2021. There are other CBD oil brands, however, that deserve mention before we wrap up:
- USA-Grown Organic CBD Topicals With Aim to Improve Americans' Lifestyles - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- Pacific Roots Introduces Wellness and Pleasure Line Products Infused With CBD - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- More Canadians turning to cannabis to help deal with pandemic pressures - CBC.ca - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil in Beauty Products Market Rising Trends,Competitive Strategies,Market Size,Latest Technologies Research And Future Scope 2025 ... - May 31st, 2021
- Deal: These CBD Gummies Will Cure Your Sunday Scaries - InsideHook - May 31st, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2020-2028 Canopy Growth Corporation, Medical Marijuana, Inc., Canndeo Limited, Aphria Inc. The Courier -... - May 31st, 2021
- Why Dont You Feel the Effects of CBD? - Phones Wiki - May 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits? - May 27th, 2021
- Top 3 CBD Oils for Pain [That Actually Work] - 2021 Guide - May 27th, 2021
- CBD: Safe and effective? - Mayo Clinic - May 27th, 2021
- Can CBD Oil Be Used As An Antifungal? - nativenewsonline.net - May 27th, 2021
- WVU Today | As CBD oil sales hit the gas, WVU researcher studies its effects on driving performance - WVU Today - May 27th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 27th, 2021
- Summer Means a Return to Activity, and Time for Cibadol Products - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Well Care Botanicals CBD Topicals: Our Review - Ministry of Hemp - May 27th, 2021
- 9 Best CBD Bundles and Starter Packs of 2021 - Healthline - May 20th, 2021
- What is CBD oil and how does it benefit your pets? - The Indian Express - May 20th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 Overview with Demographic Data and Industry Growth Trends 2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 20th, 2021
- Tips on Using Cannabis Oil for Treating Medical Conditions - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- What Is the Strongest CBD Oil and Where Can You Buy It? - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- Breakfast recipe: CBD oil overnight oats with pear and honey - Metro.co.uk - May 20th, 2021
- Millennia in the making: unlocking the medicinal value of CBD - Drug Target Review - May 20th, 2021
- I Took CBD For Two Weeks. Here's How It Made Me Feel - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - May 20th, 2021
- The global medical cannabis market is expected to reach US$ 49,116.4 million by 2028 from US$ 8,926.6 million in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 20th, 2021
- $18+ Billion Worldwide Industrial Hemp Industry to 2025 - Key Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges - PRNewswire - May 20th, 2021
- CBD oil processor offers THC 'remediation,' but regulators urge caution - Pine Journal - May 16th, 2021
- How Using CBD Oil Can Give You a Good Night's Sleep - Critical Blast - May 16th, 2021
- 4 Ways To Check If Your Dog's CBD is Safe And Effective - - VENTS Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Forecast Including Growth Factors, Types And Application By Regional Geography 2021 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 16th, 2021
- $18+ billion worldwide industrial hemp industry to 2025 - key drivers, restraints, opportunities and challenges Greenway Magazine - Greenway - May 16th, 2021
- Top 5 CBD Snacks That You Should Try - UrbanMatter - May 16th, 2021
- High cannabis sales during the pandemic allows Calgary business to expand - Globalnews.ca - May 16th, 2021
- Global Hemp Derived CBD Oil Market 2020-2025 Industry Status and Trends Outlook By Type and Application Global Marketers Brockville Observer -... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD for pets: does it work and is it safe? - ZME Science - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil in Dietary Supplements Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | The Courier - The... - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) 2021 to See Major Growth in Revenue, Leading Players -Isodiol International Inc, HempLife Today, Hemp Oil... - May 16th, 2021
- Mental Health Awareness Week: Cannabis, CBD, and Anxiety - The Cannabis Exchange - May 16th, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: The Secret History And Future Growth | Value Share and Key Trends 2021-2027|| POST COVID-19 Unlock Opportunities with Coronavirus... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD of Denver to Present at the Investor Hot Seat on May 20 - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Size is Estimited To Reach USD XX Mn By 2023 with CAGR 36% Brockville Observer - Brockville Observer - May 16th, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Applications across Diverse Industry Verticals will emerge in Favor of Market Growth to Boost Sales Revenue ... - May 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Industry to 2025 - Legalised Supply of Quality-controlled CBD Oil for Sale is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Best CBD Products To Try This Spring - vmagazine.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Martha Stewart, Jaleel White and more promote cannabis use: Experts weigh in on THC vs. CBD - USA TODAY - April 23rd, 2021
- The Chemistry of Delta-8 'New and Improved' THC - American Council on Science and Health - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Buy CBD for Dogs in Maryland - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - April 23rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Vaping CBD Oil - - VENTS Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Research, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 Clark County Blog - Clark County... - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Pharmaceutical Grade Hemp Oil Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Industry Growth Analysis, Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by... - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp legalization to help crop diversity in rural communities, bring in additional revenue - KTVB.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market 2021 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 Northern Gwinnett News - Northern Gwinnett News... - April 23rd, 2021
- Nextleaf Solutions Onboards New Partner and Delivers Initial Bulk CBD Order - StreetInsider.com - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil (Middle East and Africa) Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- Does CBD Oil Expire? How to Check and Whether It's Safe - Healthline - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market Insights, Forecast and Global Industry Analysis | Medical Marijuana, FOLIUM BIOSCIENCES, IrieCBD The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- How Houstons Hemp-Based Highway Vodka Went From Hobby to Hot Commodity - Eater Houston - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD oil, mental health days for first responders? Here are some resources Austin personnel could be getting - KXAN.com - April 11th, 2021
- 11 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - April 11th, 2021
- Top 9 Tips on Using CBD Oil - Oregon Cannabis Connection - April 11th, 2021
- The Benefits of CBD Gummies - Orlando Magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats To Reduce Dog's Anxiety & Pain - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2021
- 7 Vegan CBD Products That Will Destress You Right Now - VegNews - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Global Demand to Offer Lucrative Growth Prospects For Manufacturers By Aurora Cannabis, MARICANN, Tilray, Tikun Olam, The... - April 11th, 2021
- I Tried Tommy Chong's Good Vibes Protocol CBD & It Changed Everything - L.A. Weekly - April 11th, 2021
- What To Expect In 2021 from CBD Oil Market, Know Why Competition is Rising The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Insights, Facts, Figures and Trends 2021-2027 | MarketDigits The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- Marijuana dispensary could be within reach for local CBD shop owner - wtkr.com - wtkr.com - April 11th, 2021
- Reefer Madness Crowd Discovers CBD With Predictable Results - The Fresh Toast - April 11th, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. Reports First Quarter 2021 Revenue of USD $7.3 Million - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2021
- Full Spectrum Cannabis Products Industry Expected To Remain Robust Through 2027 - PRNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- SMPLSTC Reveals 3 New CBD Tinctures - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market Future Growth Prospect, Industry Report And Growing Demand Analysis Till 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2029 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research KSU | The... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD for Alzheimer's? The Cannabidiol Craze Makes Its Way Into Research - Being Patient - March 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Heres Why Everybody Is Trying CBD Body Wash - SF Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Major factor driving the growth of this market is the medical advantages of CBD oil | DBMR The Courier - The Courier - March 31st, 2021
- Canna Comforts continues to expand with its focus on Hemp CBD products that heal - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: Current Market Scenario And Industry Forecasts 2021-2027|| Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - March 31st, 2021