Bitcoin has continued its march higher after shooting up at the beginning of the month and now appears to be pulling away from the likes ethereum, Ripple's XRP, bitcoin cash, EOS, and other major cryptocurrencies.
The bitcoin price has hit another year-to-date high in the past 24 hours, climbing to $5,622, according to prices from the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp exchange.
Now, a bullish technical indicator is giving investors heart that the recent rally will be held after bitcoin's moving averages showed a pattern known as a golden cross.
The bitcoin price has been outperforming smaller cryptocurrencies after so-called altcoins made strong gains previously.
The golden crossoccurs when the average bitcoin price in the short term rises above its long term average price. Bitcoin's 50-day moving average rose above its 200-day moving average for the first time since 2015yesterday.
Alternatively, when an assets short-term moving average crosses below the long-term moving average, it indicates the potential for a major selloff and is known as a death cross.
The bitcoin price has risen almost 2% over the last 24 hour trading period, according to data from CoinMarketCap, which tracks most major cryptocurrencies.
Elsewhere, ethereum and Ripple's XRP lost 2%, while bitcoin cash, an offshoot of bitcoin itself, was down more than 5%. EOS was off by 3% over the last 24 hour trading period.
Binance coin, which increasingly seems to be deciding the direction of the bitcoin and cryptocurrency market, lost the most of the top ten cryptocurrencies over the last 24 hours, dropping almost 6%.
The bitcoin price has recorded another year-to-date high this week.
Bitcoin and cryptocurrency industry insiders have said bitcoin, the original cryptocurrency, is still very important to the wider market.
"If I had to pick one [cryptocurrency], I would pick bitcoin. We need bitcoin to succeed in order for the market to do well and for innovations to keep happening," Hany Rashwan, the founder and chief executive of cryptocurrency trading tools company Amun, this week told the Crypto for Earthlings podcast.
"Bitcoin is the largest and most well support asset today and we shouldn't dismiss it. There are a number of technical innovations on their way to make bitcoin more transactional. We should focus on that and keep investing in bitcoin more than anything else."
Meanwhile, analysts and traders were keen to find any sign of what was pushing bitcoin higher while other coins, like ethereum, Ripple's XRP, bitcoin cash, and EOS, fell.
The cryptocurrency market has been divided by bitcoin's recent gains.
"Another strong surge during the Asian session[yesterday]brought us to a new high of $5,622 a coin, the highest level since November's capitulation," eToro senior market analyst Mati Greenspan wrote in a note to clients.
"There are a load of bullish signs right now but if you're asking what caused this morning's movement, you might be slightly disappointed as there doesn't seem to be any specific catalyst for this. It seems simply to be a shift in outlook.
"During the bear market, there were a lot of people who sold their crypto in fear of lower prices. Those people didn't really go away though, they're simply standing on the sidelines waiting for the return of a bull market."
Read the rest here:
- We Asked an AI to Finish Real Elon Musk Tweets - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Super-Strong Robot Dog Pull a Three-Ton Airplane - May 28th, 2019
- New Law Could End Robocalling Once and For All - May 28th, 2019
- Scientists Set New Temperature Record for Superconductivity - May 28th, 2019
- Can You Tell Which of These Models Is CGI? - May 28th, 2019
- Asteroid Flying by Earth Is so Big It Has Its Own Moon - May 28th, 2019
- United Nations: Siri and Alexa Are Encouraging Misogyny - May 28th, 2019
- NASA’s Moon Mission Leader Just Quit After Only Six Weeks - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla in an Underground Tunnel Race One on the Street - May 28th, 2019
- SpaceX Just Unleashed 60 Starlink Satellites Into Orbit - May 28th, 2019
- Elon Musk Ridicules Jeff Bezos’ Plan For Space Colonies - May 28th, 2019
- See China’s Newly Unveiled Maglev Train - May 28th, 2019
- Here’s How NASA Prepares Its Spacecraft for Mars - May 28th, 2019
- Elevate Your Leadership and Grow Your Business at Your Clouds Can 2019 - May 28th, 2019
- This Robot Scans Preschoolers’ Faces Daily for Signs of Sickness - May 28th, 2019
- New Research: The Oceans Are Slowly Leaking Into the Earth - May 28th, 2019
- Studying the Sun’s Atmosphere Could Make Fusion Power a Reality - May 28th, 2019
- NASA Just Hired the First Contractor to Build Lunar Space Station - May 28th, 2019
- Anonymous Group of 3D-Printed Gun Makers Is Spreading Online - May 28th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Planetary science - Wikipedia - May 13th, 2019
- Earth Science for Kids: OLogy | AMNH - May 13th, 2019
- Eve online planetary interaction - May 13th, 2019
- Planetology dictionary definition | planetology defined - May 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) price, charts, market cap, and other ... - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash - finance.yahoo.com - April 29th, 2019
- What is Bitcoin Cash? - finance.yahoo.com - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Price, historic Charts and detailed Metrics - April 29th, 2019
- What is Bitcoin Cash? - Coin Rivet - April 29th, 2019
- Moon Cash | Free bitcoin cash faucet - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) price, chart, and fundamentals info ... - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash - Wikipedia - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoincash price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Price, View BCH Live Value & Buy Bitcoin ... - April 29th, 2019
- Cash App - Bitcoin - April 29th, 2019
- Superintelligence - Wikipedia - April 21st, 2019
- Nick Bostrom - Wikipedia - April 21st, 2019
- What is Artificial Superintelligence (ASI)? - Definition ... - April 21st, 2019
- Chill: Robots Wont Take All Our Jobs | WIRED - April 21st, 2019
- Grady Booch: Don't fear superintelligent AI | TED Talk - April 21st, 2019
- Planetary science - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- University of Hawaii - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Jules Verne Voyager | UNAVCO - April 20th, 2019
- Eve online planetary interaction - April 20th, 2019
- Planetary science - Wikipedia - April 14th, 2019
- Planetology | Define Planetology at Dictionary.com - April 14th, 2019
- Planetology | Article about planetology by The Free Dictionary - April 14th, 2019
- Planetologist | Define Planetologist at Dictionary.com - April 14th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 12th, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 12th, 2019
- Here’s How Big the M87 Black Hole Is Compared to the Earth - April 12th, 2019
- Amazon Workers Listen to Your Alexa Conversations, Then Mock Them - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Say New Quantum Material Could “‘Download’ Your Brain” - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 12th, 2019
- NASA Is Funding the Development of 18 Bizarre New Projects - April 12th, 2019
- Report: Tesla Doc Is Playing Down Injuries to Block Workers’ Comp - April 12th, 2019
- Infertile Couple Gives Birth to “Three-Parent Baby” - April 12th, 2019
- MIT Prof: If We Live in a Simulation, Are We Players or NPCs? - April 12th, 2019
- Space Station Mice Learned to Propel Themselves in Zero Gravity - April 12th, 2019
- NASA: Genetic Changes Caused by Space Travel Are Temporary - April 12th, 2019
- Israel’s Lunar Lander Just Crashed Into the Moon - April 12th, 2019
- We Wouldn’t Have the First Black Hole Image Without Katie Bouman - April 12th, 2019
- Fecal Transplants Reduce Symptoms of Autism Long Term - April 12th, 2019
- The First Black Hole Photo Is Even More Amazing When You Zoom Out - April 12th, 2019
- Family Caught Selling Diseased Body Parts to Medical Centers - April 12th, 2019
- SpaceX Milestone: Company Lands Three Falcon Heavy Boosters - April 12th, 2019
- People Are Horrified When They Have to Torture a Virtual Person - April 12th, 2019
- Chinese Scientists Gene-Hacked Super Smart Human-Monkey Hybrids - April 11th, 2019
- Scientists: Next Black Hole Image Will Be Way Clearer - April 11th, 2019
- Seven Ways Cannabis Legalization Will Make the Future Better - April 11th, 2019
- Walmart Is Rolling Out Floor-Cleaning Robots in 1,500 Stores - April 11th, 2019