Bitcoin (BTC) slipped to an 18-day low today, as a key indicator threatens to turn bearish for the first time in a year.
The top cryptocurrency fell by $500 in 10 minutes just after 03:00 UTC to hit a low of $9,600 on Bitstamp. That level was last seen on Sept. 1.
The drop was expected as BTC was on slippery ground following last weeks failed breakout. Volatility also fellto multi-month lows on Wednesday, indicating scope for an explosive price move.
Prices have bounced back a little in the last few hours, but the bearish mood is still intact with the cryptocurrency currently changing hands around $9,850, representing a 3 percent loss on a 24-hour basis.
The spread between the 50- and 100-day moving averages (MAs) of bitcoins price has narrowed sharply and the two averages will likely soon produce a bearish crossover, as seen in the chart below.
A bearish crossover occurs when a short-term MA drops below a long-term MA. At time of writing, the 50- and 100-day averages are located at $10,504 and $10,492 and the former looks set to cross below the latter in the next couple of days.
If confirmed, the event would mark the first bear cross of the 50- and 100-day MAs since Sept. 16, 2018.
Technical analysis theory considers the bearish cross of long-term MAs as an advance warning of an impending price crash. They are, however, based on historical data and tend to lag price. Hence, bearish crossovers have limited predictive powers at best and often end up trapping sellers on the wrong side of the market.
For instance, the 50-day MA fell below the 100-day MA on Aug. 29, 2016, when BTC was trading near $570. The cryptocurrency remained flatlined in the next couple of days before rising above $600 on Sept. 4.
More importantly, the $570 price seen on Aug. 29 was never put to test throughout the meteoric rise to a record high of $20,000 reached in December 2017.
Observers may argue that last Septembers bearish crossover was followed by a sharp sell-off to levels below $5,000 in November. However, back then, the cryptocurrency was in a bear market. Also, prices remained sidelined above $6,000 for at least six weeks following the confirmation of the bear cross before dropping in November.
Currently, BTC appears to be in a bull market, having charted higher lows and higher highs in the second quarter. Hence, the latest bearish cross may not be a cause for worry for the bulls especially considering BTC is still stuck in a three-month-long narrowing of its price range.
The upper edge of the contracting triangle is currently located at $10,857 while the lower edge is seen at $9,450.
A high-volume UTC close above $10,857 would confirm the breakout and imply a resumption of the rally from lows near $4,000 in April and could yield a break above the 2019 high of $13,880. That said, a more reliable indicator of bullish revival would be a weekly close above $12,000.
A triangle breakdown, if confirmed, would suggest a bearish reversal and could fuel a price drop to the 200-day moving average (MA), currently located $8,139.
The 14-day relative strength index (RSI) is currently reporting bearish conditions with a below-50 reading. Further, the weekly moving average convergence divergence (MACD) histogram is hovering in bearish territory below zero.
Meanwhile, the 4-hour chart shows a failed breakout followed by a bearish lower high and a drop below key support of $9,855 earlier today.
So, the stage looks set for the test of $9,450 the lower edge of the contracting triangle. The immediate bearish case would weaken if prices rise above $10,458 (Sept. 13 high).
Disclosure:The author holds no cryptocurrency assetsat the time of writing.
Bitcoinimage via Shutterstock;charts byTrading View
- Thailand: Cryptocurrency Law Will Change in 2020 to Stay Competitive - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency policies must combat snake oil without stifling innovation - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 25th, 2019
- New Zealand make an arrest and seize $6.7 million in cryptocurrency - FXStreet - November 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Slips in KPMG Rankings, But Cryptocurrency Innovation Has Strong Showing - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2019
- How a seven-week Wharton course brings the study of cryptocurrency to the classroom - The Daily Pennsylvanian - November 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency exchange that went dark with $16M in user funds only has $45k, report - The Next Web - November 25th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears have an upper hand - FXStreet - November 25th, 2019
- Sacramento Kings Lead The Way For Sports In Cryptocurrency Solutions - Front Office Sports - November 25th, 2019
- Former BigLaw partner is convicted of money laundering in cryptocurrency scheme - ABA Journal - November 25th, 2019
- Cons of Cryptocurrency: the Other Side of Digital Coins - CryptoNewsZ - November 25th, 2019
- Sacramento Kings Lead The Way For Sports In Cryptocurrency Solutions - Front Office Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitfinex partners with ODEM to expand cryptocurrency and blockchain education - HedgeWeek - November 23rd, 2019
- Venezuela to Back Its Petro Cryptocurrency With 30 Million Barrels of Oil in Reserve - CryptoGlobe - November 23rd, 2019
- BITCOIN: Cryptocurrency is for criminals, says inventor of worlds leading computer code - Express - November 23rd, 2019
- This week in Cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - November 23rd, 2019
- How I got sucked into cryptocurrency and made $13 million - The Hustle - November 13th, 2019
- Creativity and Value Will Win the Cryptocurrency Exchange Wars - newsBTC - November 13th, 2019
- Switzerland gets another Bitcoin bank that holds cryptocurrency for customers - The Next Web - November 13th, 2019
- Big Canadian bank rumored to offer cryptocurrency accounts, Bitcoin trading - The Next Web - November 13th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin and major altcoins are vulnerable to further losses - FXStreet - November 13th, 2019
- U.S. cant let criminals get the upper hand by using Chinas coming cryptocurrency - MarketWatch - November 13th, 2019
- Ontology (ONT) 10% jump shines above the cryptocurrency landscape - FXStreet - November 13th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency tracking improves -- but how? - FCW.com - November 13th, 2019
- Beware of cryptocurrency gurus like Dr Ruja and her OneCoin cult - Jim Duffy - The Scotsman - November 13th, 2019
- Evercoin Launches Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet - Bitcoin News - November 13th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Tips on Telegram Reach 500,000 Milestone in Just a Year - BeInCrypto - November 13th, 2019
- Chainalysis Launches Kryptos to Help Financial Institutions Uncover Cryptocurrency Opportunities and Risks - PRNewswire - November 13th, 2019
- Halting illegal cryptocurrency use the focus of major crime conference - The Age - November 13th, 2019
- Indeed: Share of cryptocurrency jobs grew 1,457% in 4 years - VentureBeat - November 13th, 2019
- Senator Romney Considers Action As A Nation On Cryptocurrency Threat To Homeland Security - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin passes $1 billion milestone on cryptocurrency anniversary - The Independent - November 6th, 2019
- Stellar's Foundation Just Destroyed Half the Supply of Its Lumens Cryptocurrency - Coindesk - November 6th, 2019
- CRYPTOCURRENCY: China calls on Huawei to help with crypto ambitions - Express - November 6th, 2019
- Governments race to beat Facebook's cryptocurrency, libra, at its own game: Don Pittis - CBC.ca - November 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency mining industry still has a future in China - FXStreet - November 6th, 2019
- Ron Paul: No, cryptocurrency is not something the Fed should be getting its 'hands around' - Fox Business - November 6th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple get ready the weekend action - FXStreet - November 6th, 2019
- The Bitcoin time-traveler Reddit post has been edited, but nobody knows who did it - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency saves a 110-year old power plant from demolition - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- US fines founders of worthless cryptocurrency over $4.25M binary options scam - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- Inside the Icelandic Facility Where Bitcoin Is Mined - WIRED - November 6th, 2019
- Fiat Currency 2.0: Counter argument to the Cryptocurrency narrative - Finextra - November 6th, 2019
- The never-ending Mt. Gox saga: Cryptocurrency recovery deadline pushed back (again!) - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- Startup Targets Cryptocurrency Crime - But Will The Big Banks Come On Board? - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Major Bitcoin Miner Warns The Cryptocurrency Needs Better Privacy - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Why Cryptocurrency is in The Spotlight For More Central Banks - newsBTC - October 24th, 2019
- Bank of Canada Warms To National Cryptocurrency, Will it Compete Against Bitcoin? - newsBTC - October 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Advanced Micro Devices, Inc and Baikal Miner | Technavio - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Sitharaman Says Other Nations Agree With Indias Stance On Cryptocurrency - Inc42 Media - October 24th, 2019
- Mark Zuckerberg to testify on cryptocurrency, election security, and antitrust - KCRW - October 24th, 2019
- Facebook's Owner Hints It May Be Willing To Pull Out Of Cryptocurrency. - Kfm Radio - October 24th, 2019
- Are Smart Cities The Pathway To Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Adoption? - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- This New Bitcoin And Cryptocurrency Exchange Cant Be Hacked - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- As Facebook's libra faces headwinds, China is racing to launch its own global cryptocurrency - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- Telegram might be forced to put its global cryptocurrency plans on ice - MIT Technology Review - October 16th, 2019
- Mastering Emotions and Managing Risk in Cryptocurrency Trading - Coindesk - October 16th, 2019
- Europol: Bitcoin is the still the dark webs favorite cryptocurrency - The Next Web - October 16th, 2019
- Theres A New Question On Your 1040 As IRS Gets Serious About Cryptocurrency - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Mapped: Cryptocurrency Regulations Around the World - Visual Capitalist - October 16th, 2019
- North Korean Hackers Tried to Infect macOS Systems with Fake Cryptocurrency App - Security Boulevard - October 16th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Break Out Again in November, Suggests Cryptocurrency Trader - BeInCrypto - October 16th, 2019
- Another partner abandons Facebooks cryptocurrency - Marketplace.org - October 16th, 2019
- SEC puts a stop to Telegram's cryptocurrency plans in the US - Engadget - October 16th, 2019
- Alert: IRS Releases Long-Awaited Guidance on Taxation of Cryptocurrency Transactions - JD Supra - October 16th, 2019
- The New Guidance on Cryptocurrency - Accountingweb.com - October 16th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency 101: What is Bitcoin, where did it come from, and where does is it lead? - WGN Radio - Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- The issuer of a star cryptocurrency is being sued for $1.4trn - The Economist - October 16th, 2019
- Bitcoins Competitors Are Missing The Point Of Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology - Forbes - September 29th, 2019
- North Korea's cryptocurrency shows the limits of Trump's 'maximum pressure' - Business Insider - September 29th, 2019
- Congress Questions The SEC On Libra, Cryptocurrency And The Whole Blockchain Phenomenon - Forbes - September 29th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin consolidates losses, altcoins explore the red territory - FXStreet - September 29th, 2019
- Dollar-pegged stablecoin Tether is now the worlds 4th biggest cryptocurrency - The Next Web - September 29th, 2019
- Post-Crash Bitcoin Warning As Wallets Targeted In Active And Ongoing Hack Attack - Forbes - September 29th, 2019
- Venezuela may have Bitcoin and Ethereum, but its unsure how it can use them - The Next Web - September 29th, 2019
- Facebook reveals which currencies will back Libra cryptocurrency - The Independent - September 29th, 2019
- Are Cryptocurrency Transactions about to Hit the Mainstream? - BOSS Magazine - September 29th, 2019
- Best ROI in Home Cryptocurrency Mining with BitHarp - AiThority - September 29th, 2019
- Justin Sun seeks Andrew Yangs attention with another cryptocurrency UBI pitch - The Next Web - September 29th, 2019
- Algorand cryptocurrency lost 94% of its value in its first three months - Decrypt - September 29th, 2019