It sounds like science fiction, but the idea of moving heavy industries off Earth seems far less far-fetched ever before.
Collecting resources from other planets or asteroids instead of using up what little we have left on Earth could be the key to ensuring that human beings survive, Discover Magazine reports.
“The solar system can support a billion times greater industry than we have on Earth,” Phil Metzger, a planetary scientist at the University of Central Florida, told Discover. “When you go to vastly larger scales of civilization, beyond the scale that a planet can support, then the types of things that civilization can do are incomprehensible to us.”
Investing in Space
As Earth-based resources dwindle, the population increases — and something has to give. At least, that’s the argument behind a new school of companies that have cropped up over the last decade or so, trying to become pioneers of space resource gathering.
For instance, Planetary Resources Inc. has collected tens of millions in funding to develop asteroid mining technologies. But financial troubles meant that the company had to delay its first asteroid prospecting mission indefinitely.
Billionaire Blue Origin and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is all-in as well.
“The reason we’ve got to go to space, in my view, is to save the Earth,” Bezos said during the announcement of his space company’s lunar lander last month.
“A very fundamental long-range problem is that we will run out of energy on Earth,” Bezos said at the event. “This is just arithmetic. It will happen.”
Even NASA has recently chosen to invest millions of dollars in tech concepts that could help us explore lunar crates and mining asteroids.
Not only physical resources could become the solution for an overburdened planet. Solar power stations in space could beam near-limitless energy back to Earth — a plan that China is already working to put into action.
But not everybody is of the same mind: a group of scientists came together to sign a proposal calling for more than 85 percent of the solar system to be protected from human development.
“If we don’t think about this now, we will go ahead as we always have, and in a few hundred years we will face an extreme crisis, much worse than we have on Earth now,” Martin Elvis, senior astrophysicist at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and lead author of the proposal told The Guardian. “Once you’ve exploited the solar system, there’s nowhere left to go.”
Before space manufacturing and mining become reality, there’s still a lot of work to be done as scientists have only made incremental steps towards that future so far. Just five years ago, California-based startup Made In Space became the first company to 3D print an object in zero gravity.
The same company scored a major contract with NASA in 2018 to develop a “hybrid metal manufacturing system for space exploration.” The idea is to print parts using aerospace-grade metals like titanium and aluminum.
These efforts however are still a far cry from a future in which asteroid mining could support human civilizations in deep space. We haven’t even figured out which nation will get to call those resources their own — an issue that’s bound to conjure up some political uneasiness.
But time is running out — climate change and rapidly-depleting resources are forcing us to look beyond our home planet. Hopefully we can make the transition before it’s too late.
READ MORE: Made in Space: Why Earth’s Industries Might One Day Leave Our Planet [Discover Magazine]
More on space mining: NASA Funds $2M Study to See if We Could Live in Moon Pits
The post Billionaires Are Dead Serious About Moving Factories to Space appeared first on Futurism.
- Facebook Is Finally Fighting Its Pseudoscience “Miracle Cure” Content Problem - July 6th, 2019
- This AI Gives Other AIs Names Like “Ass Federation” And “Hot Pie” Because Robots Can Be Weird Too - July 6th, 2019
- Here’s How You Can Watch Today’s Total Solar Eclipse - July 6th, 2019
- World’s Smallest MRI Machine Means We Can Now Scan Individual Atoms - July 6th, 2019
- NASA’s Orion Crew Capsule Aced Its Abort System Test - July 6th, 2019
- Possible Alien Radio Signals Way More Common Than Believed - July 6th, 2019
- The Pentagon Wants Its Own Orbital Space Station, Like a Death Star, But Not, Okay? - July 6th, 2019
- Russian Sub That Caught Fire Possibly Sent to Cut Internet Cables - July 6th, 2019
- What Do a Toy Store and a Tech Accelerator Have in Common? Cloud-Based Tech. - July 6th, 2019
- White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars - July 6th, 2019
- This Room-Sized Device Could Create Artificial Gravity in Space - July 6th, 2019
- The Era of Sex for Reproduction Is Coming to an End, Says Author - July 6th, 2019
- A Physicist and His Son Are 3D-Printing a Full-Scale Lamborghini - July 6th, 2019
- AI Poised to Ruin Internet Using “Massive Tsunami” of Fake News - July 6th, 2019
- CRISPR Helps Scientists Cure HIV In Living Animals For First Time - July 6th, 2019
- We May Never Know When That Third CRISPR Baby Is Born - July 6th, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 28th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit: the front page of the internet - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism | CARM.org - May 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- What is Bitcoin Cash? - finance.yahoo.com - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Price, historic Charts and detailed Metrics - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) price, charts, market cap, and other ... - April 29th, 2019
- Moon Cash | Free bitcoin cash faucet - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Soars As Ethereum, Ripple's XRP, Bitcoin Cash, And ... - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash - finance.yahoo.com - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash - Wikipedia - April 29th, 2019
- What is Bitcoin Cash? - Coin Rivet - April 29th, 2019
- Cash App - Bitcoin - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) price, chart, and fundamentals info ... - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoincash price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Price, View BCH Live Value & Buy Bitcoin ... - April 29th, 2019
- Superintelligence - Wikipedia - April 21st, 2019
- Nick Bostrom - Wikipedia - April 21st, 2019
- Chill: Robots Wont Take All Our Jobs | WIRED - April 21st, 2019
- Grady Booch: Don't fear superintelligent AI | TED Talk - April 21st, 2019
- What is Artificial Superintelligence (ASI)? - Definition ... - April 21st, 2019
- Astrophysics - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Astro-Physics - Home | Facebook - April 20th, 2019
- NASA Astrophysics | Science Mission Directorate - April 20th, 2019
- Astrophysics - Wikipedia - April 14th, 2019
- Company Seven | Astro-Optics Index Page - April 14th, 2019
- Astronomy Ireland | Studying Astronomy - April 14th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 12th, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 12th, 2019
- Amazon Workers Listen to Your Alexa Conversations, Then Mock Them - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Say New Quantum Material Could “‘Download’ Your Brain” - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 12th, 2019
- MIT Prof: If We Live in a Simulation, Are We Players or NPCs? - April 12th, 2019
- Here’s How Big the M87 Black Hole Is Compared to the Earth - April 12th, 2019
- Report: Tesla Doc Is Playing Down Injuries to Block Workers’ Comp - April 12th, 2019
- Infertile Couple Gives Birth to “Three-Parent Baby” - April 12th, 2019
- NASA Is Funding the Development of 18 Bizarre New Projects - April 12th, 2019
- Israel’s Lunar Lander Just Crashed Into the Moon - April 12th, 2019
- We Wouldn’t Have the First Black Hole Image Without Katie Bouman - April 12th, 2019
- Space Station Mice Learned to Propel Themselves in Zero Gravity - April 12th, 2019
- NASA: Genetic Changes Caused by Space Travel Are Temporary - April 12th, 2019
- The First Black Hole Photo Is Even More Amazing When You Zoom Out - April 12th, 2019
- Family Caught Selling Diseased Body Parts to Medical Centers - April 12th, 2019
- SpaceX Milestone: Company Lands Three Falcon Heavy Boosters - April 12th, 2019
- People Are Horrified When They Have to Torture a Virtual Person - April 12th, 2019
- Fecal Transplants Reduce Symptoms of Autism Long Term - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists: Next Black Hole Image Will Be Way Clearer - April 11th, 2019
- Seven Ways Cannabis Legalization Will Make the Future Better - April 11th, 2019
- Tesla Says Autopilot Is Statistically Safer Than a Human Driver - April 11th, 2019
- Chinese Scientists Gene-Hacked Super Smart Human-Monkey Hybrids - April 11th, 2019
- Zapping Elderly People’s Brains Supercharges Their Working Memory - April 11th, 2019
- Undersea Robots Are Helping Save the Great Barrier Reef - April 11th, 2019
- Walmart Is Rolling Out Floor-Cleaning Robots in 1,500 Stores - April 11th, 2019
- Amazon Is Fighting South American Govs to Control “.Amazon” Domains - April 11th, 2019