Jason VandeBoom Founder and CEO ActiveCampaign
When it comes to marketing technology, the argument for using best-of-breed tools is cleartheyre the best in their respective categories. But for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), using multiple marketing technologies can be cost-prohibitive, and the challenge of integrating them can be unmanageable. But Jason VandeBoom, founder and CEO of marketing automation provider ActiveCampaign, says sometimes its worth it. VandeBoom spoke with eMarketers Maria Minsker about why all-in-one marketing technology suites are not the right route for smaller organizations.
eMarketer: What are some of the biggest challenges SMBs face with regard to marketing technology?
Jason VandeBoom: Technology providers that target these markets focus on building all-in-one tools. The problem with that is, although they say they can do it all, theyre not advanced when it comes to specific capabilities. As a result, customers that use these platforms only tend to use a small percentage of it and dont really benefit from most of the technology theyre paying for.
eMarketer: Using best-of-breed tools means integration challenges. How can smaller companies deal with those challenges?
VandeBoom: Regardless of company size, if integration isnt carried out correctly, best-of-breed tools can cause more pain than good. Companies should seek out tools with built-in integrations, or look to third parties for connector technologies and applications that can group tools and data together to make insight more actionable. Smaller businesses need partners that can provide integration and do some of the work for them.
Smaller businesses need partners that can provide integration and do some of the work for them.
eMarketer: Are best-of-breed tools scalable? Should growing businesses switch to multisolution suites?
VandeBoom: As businesses grow, it actually becomes more obvious that all-in-one solution suites are not the way to go. There are very few medium-sized companies that are able to find all the tools they need in a single package and actually be satisfied with the breadth and capabilities that those tools provide.
eMarketer: How can companies that use best-of-breed tools make sure they dont fall into the trap of chasing the latest and greatest products?
VandeBoom: SMBs often look for tools that are accessible to users without a technical background, so industry buzz about certain types of technology doesnt really influence them. Regardless, businesses should be focused on the outcome of their marketing efforts, not the tool theyre using.
Industry buzz about certain types of technology doesnt really influence [SMBs].
eMarketer: Do you anticipate that more businesses will leave multisolution suites behind and shift to best-of-breed technologies?
VandeBoom: There is going to be a bigger push against all-in-one tools. But to attract SMBs, best-of-breed technology providers are going to have to make an effort to develop tools that are more integrated, suggestive and autonomous, so that marketers at SMBs can take advantage of opportunities that are hard to spot.
- The Rise And Fall Of The Technology Companies - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Understanding the ethics behind use of HR technology - Human Resource Executive - December 13th, 2019
- Konka Group, A China TV Technology Powerhouse, Announces Brand Expansion Into The United States And Canada - PRNewswire - December 13th, 2019
- These Are The Technologies That Will Transform The 2020s - From 5G To Vertical Farming - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- The State and Technological Revolution | by Benedict Macon-Cooney - Project Syndicate - December 13th, 2019
- The AI community needs to take responsibility for its technology and its actions - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- 4 Stocks to Play the Way Technology Is Changing Everything About Finance - Barron's - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Advancements to Discover How Technology is Altering our World - PR Web - December 13th, 2019
- How to Organize Your Life With the Help of Technology - Entrepreneur - December 13th, 2019
- Mambu taps into card processing technology with Marqeta partnership - IBS Intelligence - December 13th, 2019
- What Can the Police Tell From Your Digital Activities? - Technology Networks - December 13th, 2019
- Where are we in the information technology revolution? - Furniture Today - December 13th, 2019
- CES 2020: Bosch presents intelligent technology that is Invented for life - Automotive World - December 13th, 2019
- Secure Technology Alliance Announces New TWIC Security Training and Certification Program - HSToday - December 13th, 2019
- As battery technology charges forward, the transport industry is benefitting from real change - EuropeanCEO - December 13th, 2019
- Growing Cleveland's start-up culture could come from new technology and a new place to work - News 5 Cleveland - December 13th, 2019
- Emotion recognition technology should be banned, says an AI research institute - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- Indian IT companies deploy hitech technologies at home and abroad - Economic Times - December 13th, 2019
- Mmmm... fresh, delicious tenders: Forget G-Cloud, this 6.5bn Technology Products and Associated Services framework is where it's at - The Register - December 13th, 2019
- Technology To Make Healthcare More Effective, Indian Rep Tells UN - Inc42 Media - December 13th, 2019
- Scientists at School of Mines and Technology create a tool that drastically lowers medication prices - Kotatv - December 13th, 2019
- Port Authority To Look Into Technology That Could Save Bridge And Tunnel Carpool Discount - CBS New York - December 13th, 2019
- Universities at the forefront of technological innovation - Study International News - December 13th, 2019
- Heilind Asia Wins the 6th China IoT Technology Innovation Award - Business Wire - December 13th, 2019
- New Jersey Self-driving technology will be tested on some NJ buses Greg Mocker 7:31 - WPIX 11 New York - December 13th, 2019
- What does it take for teachers to make smart use of technology in classrooms? - The Dallas Morning News - December 13th, 2019
- Academics and 'The Intelligence Trap' | Technology and Learning - Inside Higher Ed - December 13th, 2019
- From AR to AI: The emerging technologies marketers can explore to enable and disrupt - Marketing Tech - December 13th, 2019
- Inflation-target renewal, impact of technology highlight Bank of Canada's 2020 work plan, Governor Poloz says - Bank of Canada - December 13th, 2019
- How Technology Is Transforming Executive Coaching - Harvard Business Review - December 1st, 2019
- Let us give thanks for the good technology - Business Day - December 1st, 2019
- Will the future of work be ethical? Perspectives from MIT Technology Review - TechCrunch - December 1st, 2019
- Adam Kay: the technology making life more complicated and driving us crazy - The Times - December 1st, 2019
- GeekWire Calendar Picks: How to live without a smartphone; new technologies in art; and more - GeekWire - December 1st, 2019
- This infographic reveals the top ten ways in which facial recognition technology could transform our lives - Digital Information World - December 1st, 2019
- Fujifilm Showcases Artificial Intelligence Initiative And Advances at RSNA 2019 - Imaging Technology News - December 1st, 2019
- UKtech50 2019 the most influential people in UK technology - ComputerWeekly.com - December 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways Technology Has Changed the Pet-Care Industry - Entrepreneur - December 1st, 2019
- Video Conferencing Equipment Supplier, IVCi, Lists and Explains the Top AV Technologies for Government Services - PRNewswire - December 1st, 2019
- Four technologies tackling the problem of plastic pollution in rivers - Dezeen - December 1st, 2019
- Handbook of Nanomaterials for Manufacturing Applications, 2020 - Micro and Nano Technologies - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 1st, 2019
- GE Healthcare Unveils Novel Contrast-enhanced Mammography Solution for Biopsy - Imaging Technology News - December 1st, 2019
- Slowly, HIV is being beaten - The Economist - December 1st, 2019
- How Technology Is Improving The Future Of Home Service Installations - Forbes - November 27th, 2019
- Meet The Family Behind QWIN: Revolutionizing CBD Technology - Forbes - November 27th, 2019
- Why Technology Is Crucial For CRE -- And Why Investors Now Expect it - Forbes - November 27th, 2019
- Project Understood makes Google voice technology more inclusive to those with Down syndrome - TechRepublic - November 27th, 2019
- IDTechEx Research Reports: The Cardiovascular Disease Technology Market Will Exceed $40 Billion by 2030 - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Audio Visual Classroom Solutions, IVCi, Explains How AV Technology is Continuing to Shape the Future of Higher Education - MarTech Series - November 27th, 2019
- American Express Unveils The Shopping Technology of the Future as it Celebrates 10 Years of Small Business Sat - Black Enterprise - November 27th, 2019
- TSA testing new technology like "Innovation Checkpoint" and "digital dog nose" to speed up screenings - CBS News - November 27th, 2019
- How the technology behind deepfakes can benefit all of society - World Economic Forum - November 27th, 2019
- Gator Technology opens operations in Midland - Midland Reporter-Telegram - November 27th, 2019
- How cities are using technology to solve their trash problems - CNN - November 27th, 2019
- Katalyst Technologies and Bernstein Team Up to Provide Instructional Support for Chicago Schools - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Technology vendor of the year: Murex - Risk.net - November 27th, 2019
- Clean energy technology was thought to be uninvestable. One fund thinks otherwise - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Technology helps cut the cost of steel framing in new projects - Business in Vancouver - November 27th, 2019
- The top technologies that enabled digital transformation this decade - TechRepublic - November 27th, 2019
- 'Maximize the positive' from new technologies, for our digital future, Guterres urges - UN News - November 27th, 2019
- Former CIA Director: We worried arming Ukraine would hand technology to Russian spies - NBC News - November 27th, 2019
- Technology talent pool on the rise in Greater Victoria - Times Colonist - November 27th, 2019
- 16 Predictions on the Future of Technology - Barron's - October 24th, 2019
- Technology Investment Must Go Beyond Single Use Cases - Government Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Samsung Showcases Its Latest Silicon Technologies for the Next Wave of Innovation at Annual Tech Day - Samsung Newsroom - October 24th, 2019
- We Could Go to Venus with Today's Technology, Scientists Say - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- We Have the Tools and Technology to Work Less and Live Better - Singularity Hub - October 24th, 2019
- Why the World of WATCHMEN Rejected Technology - Nerdist - October 24th, 2019
- Electron Beam Technology researched at Texas A&M - KBTX - October 24th, 2019
- The most in-demand technologies for IT professionals - TechRepublic - October 24th, 2019
- Toledo Technology 5k to support battered women - 13abc Action News - October 24th, 2019
- Technology may make umpires a job of the past - New York Post - October 24th, 2019
- Broadway in Bed: Technology Is Remaking How We See the Ancient Art of Theater - NBC New York - October 24th, 2019
- BP to test technology to recycle plastic bottles again and again - Reuters - October 24th, 2019
- The Antique Technology Still Taking the Ocean's Pulse - Hakai Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- Twitter shares slump as revenues dip and costs rise - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Caregiving Online Technology and Dementia: How to Keep Your Loved Ones Safe More families face dilemmas - Next Avenue - October 24th, 2019
- Looking back at the future of warfare - MIT Technology Review - October 24th, 2019
- Geospatial peacekeeping: How soldiers and technology can help fight poverty - Brookings Institution - October 24th, 2019
- How India's farmers are using technology to feed more than a billion people - CNN - October 24th, 2019