The desire to tweak ourselves is embedded in nearly all of us. We try to tweak our appearance with our morning grooming and dressing rituals, we try to tweak our bodies with diets and exercise, and if that is not enough there is always plastic surgery to give nature a helping hand.
Tweaking our brain, on the other hand, is harder to realize and much harder to objectively quantify. When you go to the dentist and ask for a better smile, you can explain what you want, the dentist can visualize your expectations, and you can see and judge the result. But you cant go to a neurologist and say that you would like to be 10% smarter.
The brain is a complex and energy hungry organ, it represents around 2% of our body weight but uses 20% of our energy. When we talk about pimping our brain, we have to first decide what attribute we want to pimp, why we want to pimp it and then decide how, if at all possible, to pimp it.
There is a billion dollar industry built around supplements. It ranges from nootropics, that can help a student get a study edge, or enhance a fighter jet pilots combat abilities, to herbal based products, that promise a better memory or a better blood flow in our brains.
I had mentioned Modafinil, a popular nootropic, in a previous article. Apparently it is proven to have cognitive effects, like enhancing attention and concentration. If you search the internet there are a lot of first hand experiences of the drugs subjective effect on users; there are also studies about the measurable effect the drug has on our brains, so it is safe to say that it is not just a hype, but there are far too few studies on the long term effects to label the drug as harmless.
Prof. Con Stough, Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology at Swinburne University, has been studying nootropics and their effects on the human brain for quite a while. In a Reddit AMA session, the professor discusses the effects, and side effects, of different drugs that he has studied. He confirms that there are measurable, positive cognitive effects from Modafinil, but he believes the enhanced ability to solve problems, is more a subjective feeling than an objective observation.
Interestingly he also admits to taking vitamin B6, B12 and antioxidants, Pycnogenol, as supplements. Insisting that he has not done any studies, only reviews, he is also convinced of the positive effects Bacopa and Ginseng, two popular plant-based supplements, have on our brains.
We have all heard it somewhere- The brain is like a muscle and can be trained.
A lot of us have been brought up believing that we are born with a limited number of brain cells, and with time, alcohol and stress, they will irreversibly die away, making us dumber by the day. That is not true, we constantly grow new brain cells, like all other cells, and taking your brain for a jog is not really a joke. Studies show that new muscles make new proteins that also stimulate the brain to grow.
Learning new motor skills, like juggling, or behavioral/ environmental changes, are known to encourage synaptogenesis. Adults with an increased number of synapses have a better cognitive functionality, and are less likely to suffer from neurodegeneration, compared to their peers with a lower synapses density.
What apparently does not help, is the sea of apps and computer programs that promise to improve your brain, in some way or the other, through regular training. One study
has shown that after six weeks training with diverse computer programs, there were measurable improvement in a number of benchmarking tests participants took before and after the training period, but it did not translate into an improvement of tasks that were not trained, even if they were cognitively similar. So you get better in what you are training but it doesnt mean that your brain will generally function better.
There are lots of methods to enhance your brain, some a little extreme and not yet recommendable, like implanting electrodes in your head and electrocuting your brain; and others more subtle, like association methods to help you remember things better. The question is: how much of what do you really need, and how do you measure intelligence? Is a bigot with a PhD. more intelligent, or a compassionate social worker with a high school diploma?
Read the original here:
- Cognitive Advantages and Common Misconceptions of Nootropics - Influencive - January 18th, 2020
- What If You Went to a Wellness Club Instead of a Bar? - Greatist - January 15th, 2020
- 5 wellness trends that will dominate in 2020 - Ladders - January 15th, 2020
- Why Koios says nootropics are the 'next frontier' of functional beverages - Food Dive - December 7th, 2019
- You're Using Caffeine the Wrong Way - Psychology Today - December 7th, 2019
- Need Gift Ideas For The Tech Lover In Your Life? - knue.com - December 7th, 2019
- 25 Supplements That Are Proven to Workand They're All on Sale for Cyber Monday - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 7th, 2019
- Nootropics Market Analysis by Recent Developments and Research 2019 to 2025 - The Market Publicist - December 7th, 2019
- Tracks of the week reviewed: Lauryn Hill, Grimes, Pet Shop Boys - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2019
- Nootropics Market Analysis, Status and Business Outlook 2019 to 2025 - TheFinanceTime - November 17th, 2019
- Sorry, These 11 Wellness Trends Are Out (and These 4 Are Officially In) - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 17th, 2019
- Crush Your Fitness Goals with This Fat Burner and Testosterone Booster - Men's Journal - November 17th, 2019
- The Risks of Nootropic Use - Psychology Today - November 11th, 2019
- Polyphenols from grape and blueberry show promise as effective nootropic ingredients - NutraIngredients-usa.com - November 11th, 2019
- Nootropics That May Help To Boost Your Brain - Anti Aging News - November 5th, 2019
- AM Medical's WAVI Technology Helps Find and Reverse Cognitive Issues - ThurstonTalk - October 5th, 2019
- NootroNerd Website Offers Comprehensive Articles About Nootropics and Cognitive Enhancement Methods - Digital Journal - August 25th, 2017
- 4 Biohacking Facts You Should Know About in 2017 - Techzone360 - August 20th, 2017
- Could new dietary supplements boost brain power? - WNDU-TV - August 11th, 2017
- Labdoor Special Report: We Tested the Infowars Supplements - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Nootropic Effects of Psychedelic and Addictive Substances - Brain Blogger (blog) - August 4th, 2017
- New study into 'smart drugs' in the finance industry - Investment Magazine - August 4th, 2017
- Is Qualia Revolutionary or Just Another Nootropic? - HuffPost - August 1st, 2017
- True Focus Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 25th, 2017
- Nootropics: How Smart Can You Get on Smart Drugs? - Brain Blogger (blog) - July 25th, 2017
- Every Entrepreneur Needs Flow. Nootropics Can Get You There. - Entrepreneur - July 20th, 2017
- Nootropics | Our Favorite Nootropics Supplements - July 20th, 2017
- NETCENTS Integrates Top Tier Merchants Within the Nutraceutical Sector - Canada NewsWire (press release) - July 20th, 2017
- Buying a boost: Smart drugs on campus - Oregon Daily Emerald - July 10th, 2017
- Duke Neuroscientist: Brain Augmentation Will Allow Us to Make a New Kind of Human - Futurism - July 5th, 2017
- Nootrobox is now HVMN and will sell biohacking products beyond nootropics - TechCrunch - June 28th, 2017
- Medical Q&A: So-called smart drugs can turn out to be a dumb idea - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - June 27th, 2017
- Don't Fall for the 'Memory' Pills Targeting Baby Boomers - WIRED - June 27th, 2017
- The Provigil Secret Few Experts Want to Tell You - HuffPost - June 26th, 2017
- Nootropics Market Is Predicted To Hit USD 6059.4 Mn By 2024, Expanding At A CAGR Of 17.9% From 2016 To 2024. - Technorati - June 24th, 2017
- Global Nootropics Market Is Predicted To Hit USD 6059.4 Mn By 2024, Expanding At A CAGR Of 17.9% From 2016 To ... - Technorati - June 22nd, 2017
- Best Nootropics for Sale in 2017 | Reviews and Comparison - June 19th, 2017
- Best Nootropics Smart Pills - Serie A Weekly - June 6th, 2017
- How Do Various Nootropics Work? - Serie A Weekly - June 6th, 2017
- Brain food - brand-e.biz - June 5th, 2017
- How to Increase Your Energy at Work ... Without Coffee - Successful Meetings - June 1st, 2017
- Bacopa: The Herb That May Increase Your Brain Power - ProHealth - June 1st, 2017
- Growing Use Of Smart Drugs By Students Could Be A Recipe For Disaster - IFLScience (blog) - June 1st, 2017
- A doctor is helping Silicon Valley execs live their best life for $40k a year - Quartz - May 28th, 2017
- How Nootrobox Started a Craze (That Actually Works) - TechDay News (blog) - May 26th, 2017
- Skullcap Herb: Synergistic Powerhouse & Possible Nootropic ... - MilTech - May 20th, 2017
- Nootropics Market Research Report Now Available at Research ... - The Republic of East Vancouver - May 18th, 2017
- Nootropics Market Forecast And opportunities Trends, Size, Drivers 2016 2022 Brisk Insights - Thrasher Backer - May 17th, 2017
- Meet The Racetams: Powerful Family of Nootropics - MilTech - May 14th, 2017
- The Top 5 Nootropic Supplements of 2017 Health Ranks - May 13th, 2017
- Nootropics: Business Performance Enhancing Drugs? - Huddle Today - May 11th, 2017
- Functional beverages using nootropics will rise, predicts new energy drink LGND - BeverageDaily.com - May 9th, 2017
- Captagon The Smart Drug Fuelling Syrias Civil War ... - May 2nd, 2017
- Ramping up your brain power - Marianas Variety - April 30th, 2017
- nootropics / smart drugs - April 28th, 2017
- Will 'Smart Drugs' Really Make Us Smarter, or Just ... - VICE - April 28th, 2017
- Coluracetam Warning Review - Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - April 21st, 2017
- Oxiracetam Powder - Nootropics Depot - April 19th, 2017
- Global Nootropics Market Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts, 2014-2016 & 2024: Analysis of the Top 30 ... - GlobeNewswire (press... - April 19th, 2017
- What are "Nootropics"? Smart Drug Smarts - April 17th, 2017
- The Ultimate Guide To Nootropics | Supplement Critique - April 13th, 2017
- Global Nootropics Market Report to Grow at a CAGR of 17.9% by 2024: Market Size, Share & Application Analysis ... - Yahoo Finance - April 13th, 2017
- Global Nootropics Market Report 2017 - Forecast to 2024 with Regional Outlook, Growth Trends & Key Players ... - Business Wire (press release) - April 12th, 2017
- What Will Make Man Smarter? - Yahoo Finance - Yahoo Finance - April 12th, 2017
- Take a Chill Pill (How to Relax in the Modern Age) - Huffington Post - April 7th, 2017
- Sharp & Energized! IMPRESS! Dietary Supplement for Men Unleashes Nootropic Power of Cereboost from Naturex - Digital Journal - April 7th, 2017
- 4 Non-Chemical Ways to Stimulate Productivity - Entrepreneur - Entrepreneur - April 3rd, 2017
- A real-life 'Limitless' pill? Silicon Valley entrepreneurs pursue brain hacking with nootropics, or 'smart drugs' - ABC News - March 31st, 2017
- Global Nootropics Market Is Expected To Reach Over USD 6 Bn By 2024: Credence Research - Digital Journal - March 31st, 2017
- Top Nootropics for Each Unique Brain - Huffington Post - March 29th, 2017
- Global Nootropics Market To Reach Over USD 6 Bn By 2024: Expanding Usage Of Supplements and Demand For ... - Mobile Computing Today - March 29th, 2017
- What One Qualia Supplement Review Warns About the Future - Huffington Post - March 27th, 2017
- Nootropics Market to receive overwhelming hike in Revenues by 2024 - Credence Research - MENAFN.COM - March 19th, 2017
- Nootropics Market to receive overwhelming hike in Revenues by 2024 Credence Research - Press Release Rocket - March 17th, 2017
- Brain Hackers Seeking Peak Performance Use Risky Chemical Cocktails - Scientific American - March 17th, 2017
- Credence Research: Industry Analysis Report for Nootropics Market 2017 - PDF Devices - March 17th, 2017
- Le-Vel's new premium nootropic capsule designed to support, optimize mental capabilities - Yahoo Finance - March 7th, 2017
- Why Would People Without Diabetes Monitor Their Blood Sugar? - A Sweet Life - March 7th, 2017
- Hacking the Human Body with the CEO of Nootrobox - Paste Magazine - March 6th, 2017
- Best Supplements For Your Brain: 4 Nootropics That Work ... - March 4th, 2017