Jack Hogan CTO Lifescript
For pharmaceutical companies, deploying programmatic technology is a sticky subject. Because of strict privacy and patient protection laws, pharma companies are limited in how they can target individual consumers, which makes programmatic advertising more of a guessing game. But that doesnt mean it cant be done. Jack Hogan, CTO at medical publisher Lifescript, spoke with eMarketers Maria Minsker about how pharma companies can use publishers data to leverage programmatic technology.
eMarketer: How can medical publishers create proxy audiences to power programmatic technology for pharma brands?
Jack Hogan: Medical publishers have vast audiences of opt-in consumers with targetable IDs and declared health interests. Were talking about first-party data, not third-party health and medical data, which is inaccurate 50% of the time. By decoupling that first-party, declared health data from any private information, publishers enable brands to reach desired audiences with specific medical interests across the entire ad ecosystemwithout breaking any HIPAA rules.
Publishers are able to create segments of users interested in certain conditions, and feed these audience sets to pharma companies.
eMarketer: How does this make it possible for pharmaceutical companies to leverage programmatic advertising technology?
Hogan: While the guidelines for HIPAA are very stringent and strict when it comes to the type of data that can be accessed and shared, medical publishers typically dont touch any medical records or confidential medical data. Rather, publishers have access to declared interest in specific conditions or symptoms, which falls under other guidelines. As a result, publishers are able to create segments of users interested in certain conditions, and feed these audience sets to pharma companies through programmatic pipelines for ad targeting.
Plus, once a publisher zeros in on a users interests and pinpoints that users identity using a primary identifier such as an email address, that anonymized identity can then be extended to a mobile device for programmatic advertising via mobile as well.
eMarketer: Can you share an example of how a brand might work with a publisher to target a specific audience segment using programmatic technology?
Hogan: Lets say a statin drug manufacturer is looking to target people who have high cholesterol with a marketing campaign. A publisher can create a segment of people who have self-identified as showing interest in this topic while engaging with the publishers site. The publisher can then make that segment available to the advertiser through a programmatic pipeline, enabling them to work with their technology vendors to target that segment through programmatic display, video or mobile advertising.
There are some marketers in the space who dont understand the marketing technology requirements for handling private data.
eMarketer: Are enough pharmaceutical marketers taking advantage of programmatic advertising, or are they missing an opportunity when it comes to health data?
Hogan: There are some marketers in the space who dont understand the marketing technology requirements for handling private data. For example, all user data should be de-identified, and not tied back to an individual. Personal health data like that should not be used in any marketing or advertising efforts. Marketers should be using smart tools that can decouple data from individuals identifiers, starting at the point of opt-in through collection and use.
See the article here:
- Live Caption, Googles automatic captioning technology, is now available on Pixel 4 - TechCrunch - October 16th, 2019
- Drones, apps and smart lockers: The technology transforming healthcare in Africa - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Mind-reading technology is everyone's next big security nightmare - ZDNet - October 16th, 2019
- The 7 Biggest Technology Trends That Will Transform Telecoms In 2020 - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Role Of Technology In The Evolution Of Communication - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Revolutionary Impact Of Immersive Technology On Education - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Super-Resolution Imaging Technologies in Life Science | 2019-2024 Technology Highlights and Market Outlook - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schools should take the occasional break from technology - here's why - Study International News - October 16th, 2019
- Finding a balance between security and responsive technology - ITProPortal - October 16th, 2019
- NBN chief blames Australia's poor speed rating on 'unrepresentative' data - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- 5 smart home technology trends to keep your eye on in 2019 - Silicon Canals - October 16th, 2019
- Technology has changed the world, the world has changed technology - The Upcoming - October 16th, 2019
- Technology sparks dramatic rise in scams reported to the Lincoln Police Dept. - 1011now - October 16th, 2019
- Technology is redefining that client-financial advisor relationship - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- APPIX Officially Launches Incredible Broadcast Technology That Creates Immersive Experiences And Audience Engagement At Concerts And Events - MarTech... - October 16th, 2019
- Gathr Lab Launches New Technology Set to Break the Black-Box Approach and Empower Marketers to Understand, Reach and Grow Their Audiences - Business... - October 16th, 2019
- Integrating the Science of How We Learn into Education Technology - Harvard Business Review - October 16th, 2019
- Google And Levis Partner Up To Bring Us Wearable Technology - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- UK vulnerable to malicious meddling in election, warns study - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Food Science and Technology job with BNU-HKBU UNITED INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | 183631 - Times... - October 16th, 2019
- Digital welfare state: big tech allowed to target and surveil the poor, UN is warned - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- South Korean startups gather momentum - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Technology killing off corporate America: Average life span of companies under 20 years - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Automated technology isn't going anywhere and it's changing ... - USA TODAY - August 25th, 2017
- AMD Technology Falls Short... Really? - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2017
- Morgan Stanley: This next big technology trend could start the 'fourth industrial revolution' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Mortgage technology provider Blend raised another $100 million led by Greylock - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Philips to build health technology center in Tennessee - ABC News - August 25th, 2017
- Melinda Gates: I spent my career in technology. I wasn't prepared for ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Information technology can help build peace. This is how. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Is Set to Disrupt Every Industry--and Music Is Next - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Campus police using technology to solve and prevent crimes - The Rolla Daily News - August 22nd, 2017
- 3 ways blockchain technology will change how we game - VentureBeat - August 20th, 2017
- Kenyan Girls Use Technology to Combat Genital Cutting - Voice of America - August 20th, 2017
- Taking a stand on Charlottesville, technology companies seek balance with free speech - The Independent - August 20th, 2017
- Technology and the New Republic just never seemed to click - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Arizona edges to front of states eyeing blockchain technology - Arizona Daily Star - August 18th, 2017
- How technology is about to transform the way we save cash forever - Telegraph.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- Tester talks technology with local business leaders - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - August 18th, 2017
- 5 Questions: Is your child addicted to technology? - Philly.com - August 18th, 2017
- Opinion: This technology shift opens up new possibilities for iPhones, Androids and virtual reality - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- The glow of technology has a dark side - Houston Chronicle - August 16th, 2017
- How Technology is Now Empowering Educators - Inc.com - August 15th, 2017
- How Technology Might Get Out of Control - Bloomberg - August 15th, 2017
- Trump administration goes after China over intellectual property, advanced technology - Washington Post - August 15th, 2017
- Building technology in Oklahoma, shipping all over the world - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- OKC startup pioneers technology that prevents accidental IV disconnects for hospital patients - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- Modernizing Government Technology Act to get second path to passage in Senate NDAA - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 14th, 2017
- ASCAP Names Tristan Boutros Chief Technology Officer - Variety - August 14th, 2017
- This Technology Could Stop the World's Deadliest Animal - Mother Jones - August 14th, 2017
- Technology Speeds Up Timeline on Quarterly Close - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Trump Administration to Begin Probe of Alleged Chinese Technology Theft - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- 'Blockchain technology will change the world': Fidelity Labs SVP - CNBC - August 13th, 2017
- Victoria Teo, Technology Field, Sustainability, and the Roman Goddess - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- Technology migrations are more painful, and cloud isn't making them any easier - ZDNet - August 13th, 2017
- The fictitious movie technology we wish was real - CNET - August 13th, 2017
- Synchronous ledger technology (aka blockchain): The companies to watch - ZDNet - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists create world's first mutant ants with gene editing technology - Fox News - August 11th, 2017
- AWS just proved why standards drive technology platforms - TechCrunch - August 10th, 2017
- These Technology Index Funds Are Crushing It in 2017 - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2017
- Despite Proven Technology, Attempts To Make Table Saws Safer Drag On - NPR - August 10th, 2017
- 4 Best Technology Mutual Funds With Low Expense Ratios - Seeking Alpha - August 10th, 2017
- Mass market hopes for battery-free cell phone technology - Reuters - August 10th, 2017
- CB&I selling technology business, suspending dividend - Chron.com - August 10th, 2017
- Why SMBs Should Opt for Best-of-Breed Marketing Technology - eMarketer - August 9th, 2017
- Mazda says it has made a long-awaited breakthrough in engine technology - Ars Technica - August 9th, 2017
- Clyde Space to build cubesats for Audacy technology demonstration - SpaceNews - August 9th, 2017
- Elon Musk's Boring Company to use Tesla's technology for its tunnel project under LA - Electrek - August 9th, 2017
- DXC Technology posts $245m EBIT in first quarter since merger - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- 'Breakthrough' microchip technology helps heal wounds, nerves and organ damage - The Independent - August 9th, 2017
- Keeping up with technology - The Sun Daily - August 8th, 2017
- Google fires employee who wrote memo about women in technology jobs - The Boston Globe - August 8th, 2017
- Apple Needs Micron Technology - Seeking Alpha - August 8th, 2017
- SoftBank adding technology ambitions, with ARM, robotics - ABC News - August 8th, 2017
- Police looking for multiple suspects following Northwest Side shooting - WOAI - August 8th, 2017
- "Technology should look like something in your grandmother's room" says Oki Sato - Dezeen - August 8th, 2017
- Victim of 9/11 identified after 16 years using new DNA technology - The Independent - August 8th, 2017
- Newer traffic technology designed to cut back on wait time and accidents - KSFY - August 8th, 2017
- This insanely advanced technology could power a future colony on Mars. - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- India team helps IBM create technology to battle hackers - The Hindu - August 6th, 2017