The United States is just four days away from sending a SpaceXrocket to theInternational Space Stationwhose cargo will include a Parkinsons diseaseexperiment.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration officials said the experiment will involve growingleucine-rich repeat kinase 2protein crystals in the near-zero-gravity conditions of space.
Scientists hope the LRRK2 crystals will be larger and more regular in space, allowing them to see the proteins structure for the first time. They have been unable to obtain an image of the protein on Earth that is high-resolution enough to display its structure. Until they know what the structure is, they will be unable to design a Parkinsons therapy around the protein.
The Dragon spacecraft will carry hardware, supplies for the space stations crew, and scientific research material. It will be SpaceXs 12th mission to the orbiting laboratory.
Funding for the Parkinsons experimentis coming from theMichael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Researchand theCenter for the Advancement of Science in Space.
Marco Baptista, the Fox foundations director of Research and Grants, and Dr. Sebastian Mathea of the University of Oxford discussed the experiment during amedia teleconferenceabout the launch on Aug. 8.
Only about 10 percent of Parkinsons cases stem from genetic mutations. Of those,LRRK2 mutations are the most common.
The percentage of LRRK2-linked Parkinsons cases is much higher in someethnic groups, however. They account for 40 percent of cases amongNorth African Arab Berbers, for example, and 15 to 20 percent of cases amongAshkenazi Jews.
Parkinsons researchers hopelarger, better-formed protein crystals with fewer defects can yield the high-resolution views of LRRK2 they need.
A detailed view of the shape and form of LRRK2s crystalline structure could be an important step toward understanding and accelerating development of LRRK2 inhibitor therapies that can prevent, slow, or stop the progression of Parkinsons.
The unique environment of the International Space Station untethers research from restrictions imposed by gravity, Gregory H. Johnson, executive director of the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space, said in a press release. The organization is glad to partner with The Michael J. Fox Foundation to explore the structure of this important piece of the Parkinsons puzzle, he said.
Launch is scheduled for Aug. 13 at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Other scientists who participated in the teleconference included:
- NASA sees space station cross the solar eclipse - CNET - August 25th, 2017
- International Space Station Astronauts to See Solar Eclipse ... - August 25th, 2017
- Space station transits sun during eclipse - EarthSky - August 25th, 2017
- International Space Station Only Visible in Wyoming During Eclipse - Kgab - August 25th, 2017
- Space Station astronauts catch sight of monster storm Hurricane Harvey - Mashable - August 25th, 2017
- Carbondale-made bags to be used for research aboard International Space Station - The Southern - August 25th, 2017
- Elon Musk reveals first official photo of SpaceX space suit - The Verge - The Verge - August 25th, 2017
- Watch the space station cross the sun during the eclipse - fox2now.com - August 25th, 2017
- The International Space Station Had Two Views of the Eclipse - Atlas Obscura - August 22nd, 2017
- Space station astronaut sees solar eclipse shadow on Earth - CNET - August 22nd, 2017
- Canada's newest astronauts consider moon, Mars missions after space station trip - Toronto Star - August 22nd, 2017
- The ultimate photobomb: NASA spied the Space Station crossing ... - Mashable - August 22nd, 2017
- SpaceX launches experiments, ice cream to space station - KRQE News 13 - August 20th, 2017
- Space Station Astronauts Are High on a Fresh Ice Cream Shipment - Atlas Obscura - August 20th, 2017
- Sunday August 20, 2017 - Israel Hayom - August 20th, 2017
- Cosmonauts launch 3D-printed satellite from space station - Space Daily - August 20th, 2017
- Why an Eclipse Is Better Viewed from Earth: An Astronaut's Perspective - Space.com - August 20th, 2017
- NASA Launches New Satellite to Beam Back Data from Hubble Telescope, Space Station - Space.com - August 20th, 2017
- CASIS awards Audacy grant to test radio on space station - SpaceNews - August 18th, 2017
- Watch NASA Livestream Six Hour Spacewalk from International ... - Newsweek - August 18th, 2017
- Space station crew to get 3 chances at solar eclipse - CBS News - August 18th, 2017
- Blue Bell blasts into orbit in trip to International Space Station - Dallas News (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- NASA Astronauts Set To Get Sweet Treat With Next Delivery To International Space Station - NPR - August 16th, 2017
- SpaceX Dragon Delivers Supplies (and Science) to Space Station - Space.com - August 16th, 2017
- International Space Station astronauts to view the solar eclipse 3 times - AccuWeather.com - August 16th, 2017
- Boy Scouts Launch Science Project To International Space Station - CBS Chicago - August 16th, 2017
- Space station to test supercomputer bathed in cosmic rays - CNET - August 16th, 2017
- Tacoma review: A slow-burning space station mystery - Stuff.co.nz - August 15th, 2017
- SpaceX set to deliver 'supercomputer' to the International Space Station for testing - SOFREP (press release) (subscription) - August 15th, 2017
- Stockton student spaceflight experiment at Space Station | News ... - Shore News Today - August 15th, 2017
- SpaceX Cargo Mission Demonstrates Increasing Research on Space Station - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- SpaceX to launch most powerful computer ever sent to space station - NBC Montana - August 13th, 2017
- New NASA Mission Going to the International Space Station --"To Explore Mysteries of Cosmic Rain" - The Daily Galaxy (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- VIDEO: Research To Advance Disease Therapies Among Cargo Headed To Space Station On Dragon Monday - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 13th, 2017
- Local Boy Scout troop experiment about to take off for outer space ... - Chicago Tribune - August 13th, 2017
- Primary students the first to code experiments for International Space Station - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 13th, 2017
- Space station crew to get three shots at solar eclipse - CBS News - August 11th, 2017
- SpaceX is launching a supercomputer to the International Space Station - Ars Technica - August 11th, 2017
- Watch live: SpaceX mission to resupply space station - Palm Beach Post (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Space Station 'Air Bed': Astronaut Jack Fisher Gives Some Wild Answers in Live Interview - Space.com - August 11th, 2017
- New mission going to the space station to explore mysteries of 'cosmic rain' - Phys.Org - August 11th, 2017
- To infinity and beyond: Chan couple's son heads to space station - SW News Media - August 11th, 2017
- Ready For Launch: Deerfield Student Experiment Headed To Space Station - Patch.com - August 11th, 2017
- NASA Television to Air Six-Hour Spacewalk at International Space Station - PR Newswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Research to advance disease therapies, understand cosmic rays among cargo headed to space station - Phys.Org - August 10th, 2017
- Bridgeport high school sending experiment to International Space Station - CT Post - August 10th, 2017
- Space Station Robot Installs Neutron Star Explorer: Watch the Time-Lapse Video - Space.com - August 9th, 2017
- Reading man to chat to astronaut live from the International Space Station - getreading - August 9th, 2017
- Found in Space: Zero Robotics Kids compete - The Suburban Times - August 9th, 2017
- Out of this world: Working on the International Space Station project ... - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - August 8th, 2017
- International Space Station for August - Santa Barbara Edhat - August 8th, 2017
- Africa has entered the space race, with Ghana's first satellite now orbiting earth - TechCrunch - August 6th, 2017
- $90 million solar instrument panel created at CU Boulder headed to ... - The Denver Post - August 6th, 2017
- Skywatch: Perseids meteor shower will occur this week - Tulsa World - August 6th, 2017
- CU Boulder instruments destined for space station reach Florida ... - Boulder Daily Camera - August 5th, 2017
- Dragon to be packed with new experiments for International Space Station - Space Daily - August 5th, 2017
- Robots Run by Local Students Compete on International Space Station - southsoundtalk.com - August 5th, 2017
- Astronauts Film 'Star Wars'-like Docking of Spaceship With Space Station - Inverse - August 4th, 2017
- First Successful Colorimetric LAMP Experiment Performed on International Space Station Opens Up New Possibilities ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- Check out these incredible photos from the ISS of Earth's strongest storm in 2017 - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- See the International Space Station, Moon and Saturn in the UK sky ... - Astronomy Now Online - August 3rd, 2017
- A perfectly-timed photo of the space station and the moon puts human achievements in perspective - Quartz - August 3rd, 2017
- A Fully Automated Science Lab Could Be Coming to NASA's New Lunar Station - Seeker - August 2nd, 2017
- NASA to Test New Solar Array on International Space Station - Photonics.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Science Updates: Bresnik reaches space station, Sally Ride heads out to sea - The San Diego Union-Tribune - August 1st, 2017
- Comings and Goings in the NASA Family - Air & Space Magazine - August 1st, 2017
- ISS astronaut Jack Fischer takes us on an enrapturing space station ride from San Diego to Denver! - Watch video - Zee News - July 31st, 2017
- Veteran 3-Man Crew Launches to International Space Station - Space.com - July 31st, 2017
- Veteran Multinational Trio Launches on Soyuz and Arrives at ... - Universe Today - July 31st, 2017
- PR-B School: Students to communicate with International Space Station astronauts - The Lake Country Echo - July 31st, 2017
- Retired Marine colonel one of 3 astronauts en route to space station - Military Times - July 31st, 2017
- Anticipating upgraded spaceships, SpaceX builds final first-generation Dragon cargo craft - Spaceflight Now - July 30th, 2017
- You can see the International Space Station above Greater Manchester this week - here's how - Manchester Evening News - July 29th, 2017
- Retired Marine colonel one of 3 astronauts en route to space station - NavyTimes.com - July 29th, 2017
- Google Street View launches users to space station - Jakarta Post - July 29th, 2017
- Watch Live as New Crew Blasts Off for Space Station - NBCNews.com - July 29th, 2017
- There's a Bottle of Sriracha Onboard the International Space Station - The Daily Meal - July 29th, 2017
- Webster's NanoRacks expands its role in commercial space - Houston Chronicle - July 28th, 2017
- Sony's a7S II stuns with 4K footage from outside the International Space Station - TechCrunch - July 28th, 2017
- Want to see the International Space Station over Lincolnshire? Here's everything you need to know - LincolnshireLive - July 28th, 2017