Nearly every major technology reform bill has followed a similar path over the last 30 years. After being introduced as standalone legislation, lawmakers eventually attach it as an amendment to the defense authorization bill.
It seems the Modernizing Government Technology (MGT) Act is heading down the same well-traveled trail.
Sens. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) and Tom Udall (D-N.M.) have filed an amendment to the NDAA bill that is the MGT Act.
I am very hopeful that the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee will take up the MGT Act soon after the August recess, Udall said in an email to Federal News Radio. There have been constructive, bipartisan conversations between the bill sponsors, committee leaders and the administration, and I believe we can come together and move the bill through the Senate in the coming months. To that end, I joined Sen. Moran in filing the MGT Act as an amendment to the NDAA since that may again be a viable path towards enacting important federal IT reform legislation.
Sponsored Content: How is your agency managing and maximizing its data? Share your opinions in a Federal News Radio survey.
One industry source said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), the chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, still must approve or at least not object to any path MGT will take to becoming law.
The amendment seems to mirror the Houses version of MGT, which passed May 17 by voice vote.
A HSGAC spokeswoman told Federal News Radio that the committee staff continues to review the bill.
The news that Moran and Udall filed MGT Act as an amendment was seen as a positive development by industry observers.
We welcome this addition to the National Defense Authorization Act, which traditionally has been a major vehicle for significant IT policy reforms, said Rich Beutel, president of Cyrrus Analytics and a former House staff member. This forward-looking provision will create a virtuous cycle of agency innovation driving home the promise of IT modernization across the federal government.
GSA gives per diem travel rates another bump for 2018
Mike Hettinger, managing principal of Hettinger Strategy Group LLC and a former House staff member, said: MGT has been a top industry priority since its introduction last year and we are encouraged to see it potentially move forward as part of the NDAA. Getting this bill enacted, whether as a standalone or as part of the NDAA is a critical step to kick-starting governments IT modernization.
Starting with the Clinger-Cohen Act of 1996, to the Services Acquisition Reform Act, to the Federal IT Acquisition Reform Act, using the NDAA is almost the only way to get governmentwide legislation passed. The E-Government Act of 2002 and the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 are two of the most recent examples of bills that got through Congress and to the president without the benefit of the NDAA.
The House passed its version of the NDAA on July 14, while the Senate has moved its version out of committee, but not to the floor for consideration.
Several other senators are planning to introduce acquisition or technology-related amendments on the floor when Congress comes back in session after Labor Day. Some of the most interesting ones include:
The rest is here:
- 16 Predictions on the Future of Technology - Barron's - October 24th, 2019
- Technology Investment Must Go Beyond Single Use Cases - Government Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Samsung Showcases Its Latest Silicon Technologies for the Next Wave of Innovation at Annual Tech Day - Samsung Newsroom - October 24th, 2019
- We Could Go to Venus with Today's Technology, Scientists Say - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- We Have the Tools and Technology to Work Less and Live Better - Singularity Hub - October 24th, 2019
- Why the World of WATCHMEN Rejected Technology - Nerdist - October 24th, 2019
- Electron Beam Technology researched at Texas A&M - KBTX - October 24th, 2019
- The most in-demand technologies for IT professionals - TechRepublic - October 24th, 2019
- Toledo Technology 5k to support battered women - 13abc Action News - October 24th, 2019
- Technology may make umpires a job of the past - New York Post - October 24th, 2019
- Broadway in Bed: Technology Is Remaking How We See the Ancient Art of Theater - NBC New York - October 24th, 2019
- BP to test technology to recycle plastic bottles again and again - Reuters - October 24th, 2019
- The Antique Technology Still Taking the Ocean's Pulse - Hakai Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- Twitter shares slump as revenues dip and costs rise - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Caregiving Online Technology and Dementia: How to Keep Your Loved Ones Safe More families face dilemmas - Next Avenue - October 24th, 2019
- Looking back at the future of warfare - MIT Technology Review - October 24th, 2019
- Geospatial peacekeeping: How soldiers and technology can help fight poverty - Brookings Institution - October 24th, 2019
- How India's farmers are using technology to feed more than a billion people - CNN - October 24th, 2019
- 10 Technologies From Black Mirror That Have Already Been Invented - Screen Rant - October 24th, 2019
- Rayvolt's X One Redefines The E-Bike Category With 21st Century Technologies - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Space Companies Are Investing Big in 5G Technology - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- Sign of the times: Can hugging machines solve the touch crisis? - Big Think - October 24th, 2019
- HP Calls Out the Many Ways Technology Has Stripped Our Lives of Authenticity - Adweek - October 24th, 2019
- Our fears will be realised if we become afraid of technology - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Gimbal technology and the endless push for innovation - Screen Africa - October 24th, 2019
- What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet? - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- The Benefits Of Applying Blockchain Technology In Any Industry - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Live Caption, Googles automatic captioning technology, is now available on Pixel 4 - TechCrunch - October 16th, 2019
- Drones, apps and smart lockers: The technology transforming healthcare in Africa - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Mind-reading technology is everyone's next big security nightmare - ZDNet - October 16th, 2019
- The 7 Biggest Technology Trends That Will Transform Telecoms In 2020 - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Role Of Technology In The Evolution Of Communication - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Revolutionary Impact Of Immersive Technology On Education - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Super-Resolution Imaging Technologies in Life Science | 2019-2024 Technology Highlights and Market Outlook - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schools should take the occasional break from technology - here's why - Study International News - October 16th, 2019
- Finding a balance between security and responsive technology - ITProPortal - October 16th, 2019
- NBN chief blames Australia's poor speed rating on 'unrepresentative' data - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- 5 smart home technology trends to keep your eye on in 2019 - Silicon Canals - October 16th, 2019
- Technology has changed the world, the world has changed technology - The Upcoming - October 16th, 2019
- Technology sparks dramatic rise in scams reported to the Lincoln Police Dept. - 1011now - October 16th, 2019
- Technology is redefining that client-financial advisor relationship - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- APPIX Officially Launches Incredible Broadcast Technology That Creates Immersive Experiences And Audience Engagement At Concerts And Events - MarTech... - October 16th, 2019
- Gathr Lab Launches New Technology Set to Break the Black-Box Approach and Empower Marketers to Understand, Reach and Grow Their Audiences - Business... - October 16th, 2019
- Integrating the Science of How We Learn into Education Technology - Harvard Business Review - October 16th, 2019
- Google And Levis Partner Up To Bring Us Wearable Technology - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- UK vulnerable to malicious meddling in election, warns study - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Food Science and Technology job with BNU-HKBU UNITED INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | 183631 - Times... - October 16th, 2019
- Digital welfare state: big tech allowed to target and surveil the poor, UN is warned - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- South Korean startups gather momentum - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Technology killing off corporate America: Average life span of companies under 20 years - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Automated technology isn't going anywhere and it's changing ... - USA TODAY - August 25th, 2017
- AMD Technology Falls Short... Really? - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2017
- Morgan Stanley: This next big technology trend could start the 'fourth industrial revolution' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Mortgage technology provider Blend raised another $100 million led by Greylock - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Philips to build health technology center in Tennessee - ABC News - August 25th, 2017
- Melinda Gates: I spent my career in technology. I wasn't prepared for ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Information technology can help build peace. This is how. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Is Set to Disrupt Every Industry--and Music Is Next - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Campus police using technology to solve and prevent crimes - The Rolla Daily News - August 22nd, 2017
- 3 ways blockchain technology will change how we game - VentureBeat - August 20th, 2017
- Kenyan Girls Use Technology to Combat Genital Cutting - Voice of America - August 20th, 2017
- Taking a stand on Charlottesville, technology companies seek balance with free speech - The Independent - August 20th, 2017
- Technology and the New Republic just never seemed to click - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Arizona edges to front of states eyeing blockchain technology - Arizona Daily Star - August 18th, 2017
- How technology is about to transform the way we save cash forever - Telegraph.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- Tester talks technology with local business leaders - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - August 18th, 2017
- 5 Questions: Is your child addicted to technology? - Philly.com - August 18th, 2017
- Opinion: This technology shift opens up new possibilities for iPhones, Androids and virtual reality - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- The glow of technology has a dark side - Houston Chronicle - August 16th, 2017
- How Technology is Now Empowering Educators - Inc.com - August 15th, 2017
- How Technology Might Get Out of Control - Bloomberg - August 15th, 2017
- Trump administration goes after China over intellectual property, advanced technology - Washington Post - August 15th, 2017
- Building technology in Oklahoma, shipping all over the world - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- OKC startup pioneers technology that prevents accidental IV disconnects for hospital patients - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- ASCAP Names Tristan Boutros Chief Technology Officer - Variety - August 14th, 2017
- This Technology Could Stop the World's Deadliest Animal - Mother Jones - August 14th, 2017
- Technology Speeds Up Timeline on Quarterly Close - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Trump Administration to Begin Probe of Alleged Chinese Technology Theft - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- 'Blockchain technology will change the world': Fidelity Labs SVP - CNBC - August 13th, 2017
- Victoria Teo, Technology Field, Sustainability, and the Roman Goddess - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 13th, 2017