Nearly every major technology reform bill has followed a similar path over the last 30 years. After being introduced as standalone legislation, lawmakers eventually attach it as an amendment to the defense authorization bill.
It seems the Modernizing Government Technology (MGT) Act is heading down the same well-traveled trail.
Sens. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) and Tom Udall (D-N.M.) have filed an amendment to the NDAA bill that is the MGT Act.
I am very hopeful that the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee will take up the MGT Act soon after the August recess, Udall said in an email to Federal News Radio. There have been constructive, bipartisan conversations between the bill sponsors, committee leaders and the administration, and I believe we can come together and move the bill through the Senate in the coming months. To that end, I joined Sen. Moran in filing the MGT Act as an amendment to the NDAA since that may again be a viable path towards enacting important federal IT reform legislation.
Sponsored Content: How is your agency managing and maximizing its data? Share your opinions in a Federal News Radio survey.
One industry source said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), the chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, still must approve or at least not object to any path MGT will take to becoming law.
The amendment seems to mirror the Houses version of MGT, which passed May 17 by voice vote.
A HSGAC spokeswoman told Federal News Radio that the committee staff continues to review the bill.
The news that Moran and Udall filed MGT Act as an amendment was seen as a positive development by industry observers.
We welcome this addition to the National Defense Authorization Act, which traditionally has been a major vehicle for significant IT policy reforms, said Rich Beutel, president of Cyrrus Analytics and a former House staff member. This forward-looking provision will create a virtuous cycle of agency innovation driving home the promise of IT modernization across the federal government.
GSA gives per diem travel rates another bump for 2018
Mike Hettinger, managing principal of Hettinger Strategy Group LLC and a former House staff member, said: MGT has been a top industry priority since its introduction last year and we are encouraged to see it potentially move forward as part of the NDAA. Getting this bill enacted, whether as a standalone or as part of the NDAA is a critical step to kick-starting governments IT modernization.
Starting with the Clinger-Cohen Act of 1996, to the Services Acquisition Reform Act, to the Federal IT Acquisition Reform Act, using the NDAA is almost the only way to get governmentwide legislation passed. The E-Government Act of 2002 and the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 are two of the most recent examples of bills that got through Congress and to the president without the benefit of the NDAA.
The House passed its version of the NDAA on July 14, while the Senate has moved its version out of committee, but not to the floor for consideration.
Several other senators are planning to introduce acquisition or technology-related amendments on the floor when Congress comes back in session after Labor Day. Some of the most interesting ones include:
The rest is here:
- Could You Survive Driving Without Modern Technology? - The Drive - July 19th, 2020
- ProScan Moves to New Crestview Hills Office, Adds New Technology - The River City News - July 19th, 2020
- TechCrunch talks virtual events and event technology - TechCrunch - July 19th, 2020
- How An Under 30 Alum Got His Startups Technology For Stabilizing Helicopter Baskets Into This Years National Defense Authorization Act - Forbes - July 19th, 2020
- Call for UK task force to drive adoption of new technology - New Civil Engineer - July 19th, 2020
- Huawei 5G kit must be removed from UK by 2027 - BBC News - July 19th, 2020
- FG Urged to Adopt Technology in Tackling Corruption - THISDAY Newspapers - July 19th, 2020
- Advancements in Technology to Aid the Growth of the Semantic Knowledge Graphing Market Over the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Global Irreversible Electroporation Ablators Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| AngioDynamics, Pulse Biosciences, and... - July 19th, 2020
- Lancashire aircraft makers team up with motor racing specialists on battery technology - Blackpool Gazette - July 19th, 2020
- Twitter Wouldnt Be Hacked If It Were Backed by Blockchain Technology - Cointelegraph - July 19th, 2020
- Global Social Networking Services Market Global Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation And Emerging Trends Outlook To 2026 - Cole of... - July 19th, 2020
- Gartner reveals Top Supply Chain Technology Trends in 2020 - Which-50 - July 19th, 2020
- Microsoft Targets Consulting Services For Higher-Risk Projects And New Technologies - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - July 19th, 2020
- Apple CEO Tim Cook on the nexus of technology and social change - CBS News - June 21st, 2020
- From Microsoft to the iPhone, getting technology right for 25 years - CNET - June 21st, 2020
- With schools closed, immigrant communities struggle with access to technology and connection - Summit Daily News - June 21st, 2020
- Ford's electric Mustang will offer hands-free driving technology next year - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Carbon capture technology is an elusive dream - The Durango Herald - June 21st, 2020
- Microsoft and SAS announce deep technology partnership - TechCrunch - June 21st, 2020
- Why tech didnt save us from covid-19 - MIT Technology Review - June 21st, 2020
- China and India need each other. Just look at technology - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Expert view: Technology is a blessing and a curse when it comes to global cybersecurity threats - Stockhead - June 21st, 2020
- Scientists split over which disease to put in 6G technology - The Big Smoke Australia - June 21st, 2020
- Inside the NBA's plan to use smart technology and big data to keep players safe from coronavirus - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- The West is being naive about China's use of technology in this looming cold war - iNews - June 21st, 2020
- Leonardo and Intermarine to research and develop new technologies - Naval Technology - June 21st, 2020
- While Dems and GOP squabble over extending $600 unemployment benefits, outdated technology may slow any solution - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Intl. Conference on Recent Trends in Science and Technology held - Star of Mysore - June 21st, 2020
- Methyl Glucose Market by Technology, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- NHS Covid app developers 'tried to block rival symptom trackers' - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: 5 technologies inspired by the pandemic - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Technology Will Not Save Us - The New York Times - May 2nd, 2020
- Amid a new technology normal, gaps and gratitude for the devices that sustain us - Citizen Times - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Technology: Commonly Used Terms - EFF - May 2nd, 2020
- Salon turns to dry fog technology to kill coronavirus ahead of reopening - FOX 31 Denver - May 2nd, 2020
- A brief history of video and technology in baseball, and how it helped teams steal signs - The Boston Globe - May 2nd, 2020
- How South Korea has used tech to successfully contain COVID-19 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 2nd, 2020
- AI proven to be invaluable technology during pandemic - Khaleej Times - May 2nd, 2020
- The Use Of Technology And Future Of Work Has Changed Because Of COVID-19 - caribbeannationalweekly.com - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on the Airport Operations Market by Technology and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - May 2nd, 2020
- Apple must expand its COVID tracing technology into large scale testing - AppleInsider - May 2nd, 2020
- A 'pandemic drone' and other technology could help limit the spread of coronavirus and ease restrictions sooner, but at what cost? - ABC News - May 2nd, 2020
- Highlights from Hegeman: Getting rural Missouri the technology it needs - The Maryville Forum - May 2nd, 2020
- 15-year-olds life mission preserved through foundation providing technology to children in need - NJ.com - May 2nd, 2020
- The US already has the technology to test millions of people a day - MIT Technology Review - May 2nd, 2020
- Electric Car BYD Han To Have More Range With New Battery Technology - Fossbytes - May 2nd, 2020
- The neuroscience of loneliness and how technology is helping us - The Next Web - May 2nd, 2020
- Stimulus checks and other coronavirus relief hindered by dated technology and rocky government rollout - SF Gate - April 23rd, 2020
- Australias Fire Season Ends, and Researchers Look to the Next One - The New York Times - April 23rd, 2020
- US lawmaker says any COVID-19 contact tracing technology should be voluntary and limited - Gadgets Now - April 23rd, 2020
- Summerside convention brings new technology to the field - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2020
- 'Alexa turn on the lights;' how to add smart technology to your home - SW News Media - April 18th, 2020
- How Las Cruces Public Schools is providing technology to 1 in 5 students who need it - KVIA El Paso - April 18th, 2020
- China's strategy to reorient US tech companies is exposed what next? | TheHill - The Hill - April 18th, 2020
- How China used technology to combat COVID-19 and tighten its grip on citizens - Amnesty International - April 18th, 2020
- The importance of technology in banking during a crisis | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - April 18th, 2020
- Lux Communities leaning on technology amidst coronavirus pandemic - INFORUM - April 18th, 2020
- Is COVID-19 the push businesses need to fast-track technology adoption? - ZDNet - April 18th, 2020
- Doctor calls technology 'instrumental' in tracking the spread of COVID-19 - WBAY - April 18th, 2020
- The neuroscience of loneliness and how technology is helping us - The Conversation UK - April 18th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Signs Bill Expanding Access to Standing Technology - WEAU - April 18th, 2020
- QQQX: Technology And 'High Yield' To Beat The Markets After We Beat COVID-19 - Seeking Alpha - April 18th, 2020
- I Think It Could Be A Game Changer | Frederick Company Develops Technology To Disinfect N95 Masks - CBS Baltimore - April 18th, 2020
- Mayor of London backed tech start-up used to make 'deep fakes' - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- The expansion of mass surveillance to stop coronavirus should worry us all - The Guardian - April 18th, 2020
- While We've Been in Lockdown, Solar Cell Technology Has Smashed Three Big Records - ScienceAlert - April 18th, 2020
- How new technology in Data Science is impacting the life of Data Scientists - YourStory - April 18th, 2020
- Four technologies Japan and the US should team on to counter China - C4ISRNet - April 18th, 2020
- Activist investor Starboard, which has track record of big returns in tech, finds its next target - CNBC - April 18th, 2020
- Sheriff Robert L. Langley, Jr. Reports License Plate Reader Technology Crucial to Discovery of Two Vehicles Reported Stolen - HamletHub - April 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus Contact Tracing: Apple and Google Team Up to Enable Virus Tracking - The New York Times - April 18th, 2020
- 'We are all interconnected': Coronavirus is reshaping our relationship with technology - Sydney Morning Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Nation-building through engineering and technology education - The Star Online - April 18th, 2020
- How you and your technology can help fight Covid-19 - The Irish Times - April 18th, 2020
- InteliCare seeks to bring its AI-based aged care monitoring technology to the ASX - Small Caps - April 18th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and the environmental crisis: 'Can technology really save the world?', asks Tayside expert - The Courier - April 18th, 2020
- More than 20,000 computers loaned to students to learn from home - Business in Vancouver - April 18th, 2020
- Have we allowed technology to become another family member? - Daily Monitor - April 18th, 2020
- Technology - Wikipedia - April 11th, 2020