Spectrum Project Space will host an exhibition by artist Dan Gladden this September, featuring works that explore the idea of the posthuman from a romanticised and imagined queer perspective.
Gladdens work primarily focuses on body image and masculine beauty, exploring merging, diving and mirrored forms from the idea of a gay clone the idealised, muscle-bound visage of a Western male body.
Gladden explores this notion of the posthuman by taking contemporary media representations of masculinity and projecting an imagined future of superhumans based on these ideals of beauty.
We caught up with Gladden to find out more about what motivated the work, the Western image of the ideal man and the notion of the posthuman.
Was there a particular moment or scenario that inspired this series?
There was no particular moment that kick started the works in the exhibition, however I have been addressing similar themes in my practice since uni, where i examined gay male identity and body image as a marketable commodity.
The works in frag/men/t further elaborate on this theme but have merged into a much stranger space where bodies and forms morph, merge and melt into new bodily creations and beings, like some bad cloning experiments gone wrong.
I guess what also influenced me is the insanely increasing technological advances especially in terms of designer genetics.
Why did you choose to represent this idea of the posthuman?
The post-human is a concept of what the next state of being human could or will be. I think we are entering into strange, uncertain and interesting times and Im often overwhelmed by the idea of an apocalypse, especially considering the state of the world at the moment.
I wanted to explore the idea of a not-too-distant imagined yet romanticised world where humans have become explicitly designed for pleasure. There is a definite Margaret Atwood/Oryx and Crake influence.
Im conscious that the types of bodies gay men in particular are consistently exposed to in the media are the same, white, muscular perfect symmetrical men so I wanted to develop ideas of this gay clone further into weirdly grotesque yet supposedly beautiful ideals.
You mention the notion of the gay clone also the idealised Western male Ive seen this first hand at Mardi Gras. Do you think this is an issue our community doesnt address thoroughly enough?
Absolutely although I would hope that given the increasing interconnectedness of online social spaces it has become a bit easier to find groups you may align yourself with, however I still see the dominant media representation as being a Eurocentric image of ripped muscular clones.
Some people can look like that, but its unrealistic for many, which can lead to feelings of isolation, anguish and insecurity.
What can we do to dispel this idea of the perfect Western man?
I dont really have the answer to what we can do but I would hope that we can just further embrace difference as beautiful (by difference i mean different to the medias representation of the male body).
The works Ive created have really pushed the boundaries of perfection by exaggerating typical representations and morphing into something grotesque.
Hyper-masculinity is something Ive seen discussed more in queer circles, but still too often dismissed. Have you seen real examples of its effects?
Absolutely. Its a tough road being gay already with society telling gay men they are not real men. I think of online profiles and all the cliches of masc4masc and the casual (sometimes blatant) racism and internalised homophobia. Its bullshit. Its damaging. It can completely destroy peoples confidence, ability to relate or be themselves.
I say be who you are, embrace it, push it, work it. Just be true to yourself, whether youre masc, femme, large, skinny, green hair, no hair, or anywhere in between. We are a diverse community of so many incredible types of people and this is where our strengths lie.
Dan Gladdens frag/men/t will be at Spectrum Project Space at Edith Cowan University Mount Lawley from Thursday August 31st Wednesday September 13th.
Leigh Andrew Hill
Thanks for reading OUTinPerth. We can only create LGBTIQA+ focused media with your help.
If you can help support our work, please consider assisting us through a one-off contribution to our GoFundMe campaign, or a regular contribution through our Patreon appeal.
Become a Supporter Make a contribution
- West Nile virus found in human-biting mosquito, detected in 20 towns - New Haven Register - August 25th, 2017
- Hall Center for the Humanities events to explore the posthuman condition - KU Today - August 22nd, 2017
- Hundreds confess to eating human flesh in South Africa - New York Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US holds up military aid to Egypt over human rights concerns - Washington Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US Slaps Egypt on Human Rights Record and Ties to North Korea - New York Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Human remains found in caiman may belong to missing man - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- Natalee Holloway's dad finds human remains in Aruba - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- British scientists develop world's smallest surgical robot that can mimic human arm - Firstpost - August 20th, 2017
- Big Brother: Elena slams Josh as 'an irrational human' - EW.com - August 20th, 2017
- A Speedier Way to Catalog Human Cells (All 37 Trillion of Them) - New York Times - August 18th, 2017
- Human rights commission 'reset' - Bangkok Post - August 18th, 2017
- AirAsia trains crew to spot human traffickers - Bangkok Post - August 16th, 2017
- Portage gets first look at human rights proposal - Chicago Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- A mob of beachgoers wanted to play with a baby dolphin and wound up killing it - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- Cuomo proposes new hate crimes provisions post-Charlottesville - Albany Times Union - August 15th, 2017
- Cristiano Ronaldo shows he's human; Matic key for Man Utd; Neymar's start - ESPN FC (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- 'Brains linked to computers will kill our inner freedom' - Zizek to RT on biohacking & identity loss - RT - August 15th, 2017
- Human remains discovered in Fayette County - Tribune-Review - August 15th, 2017
- India @ 70: A floating post office, a human calculator and 8 other amazing facts - Hindustan Times - August 14th, 2017
- I Am Not a Human Pacifier | Nurshable - August 13th, 2017
- Obama Responds To Charlottesville Violence With A Quote From Nelson Mandela - HuffPost - August 13th, 2017
- Taiwan master offers handwriting with a human touch - South China Morning Post - August 13th, 2017
- First human case of West Nile virus reported in Carson City-Douglas area - KRNV My News 4 - August 13th, 2017
- We're one step closer to using pig organs in human transplants - CBS News - August 13th, 2017
- It's not just Venezuela. Elected governments don't necessarily defend democracy or protect human rights. - Washington Post - August 11th, 2017
- The Climate Post: Federal Science Report Finds Human Activity Does Influence Climate Change - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists Hit Breakthrough In Quest To Transplant Pig Organs Into Humans - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- +/- Human review Is this the future of artificial intelligence? Bring it on - The Guardian - August 10th, 2017
- Discovery of 13 million-year-old ape skull shows what human ancestors may have looked like - Washington Post - August 10th, 2017
- New UN report spotlights human trafficking into Thailand - Bangkok Post - August 10th, 2017
- Decoding the ancient logic of the Google Bro - Washington Post - August 9th, 2017
- Chinese man stopped at bus station with two human arms in bag - South China Morning Post - August 9th, 2017
- White House reviewing new report that finds strong link between climate change, human activity - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Posthuman age - DAWN.com - August 8th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia must do something about its barbaric human rights practices - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Human vs. machine contests (real or fictional) but involving ordinary humans - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia defends decision to execute 14 Saudi Shiites - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Hikers form human chain to cross river after flash-flood - New York Post - August 4th, 2017
- The hidden environmental costs of dog and cat food - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- 'Obviously Human': Mother Posts Heart-Wrenching Photos of Baby She Lost at 14 Weeks - CBN News - August 4th, 2017
- AI-Powered Companies Combine Machine Intelligence And Human Ingenuity - HuffPost - August 4th, 2017
- Man charged with human trafficking in Howard County - The ... - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists discover method to rejuvenate aging human cells - National Post - August 3rd, 2017
- First human embryo editing experiment in US 'corrects' gene for heart condition - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Can Human Beings Survive The Impending Climate Crisis? - HuffPost - August 3rd, 2017
- The milk of human kindness - The Jerusalem Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Some feared hackers and the devil. Others got microchipped. - Washington Post - August 2nd, 2017
- At The Human Library, The Books Are People And The Stories Are All True - 90.5 WESA - August 2nd, 2017
- YouTube says AI better than humans at removing extremist videos post-brand safety crisis - The Drum - August 1st, 2017
- More Jacksonville Businesses Might Have To Hang Human Trafficking Signs - WJCT NEWS - August 1st, 2017
- Tech companies fear repercussions from a new bill in the US Congress to combat human trafficking - Recode - August 1st, 2017
- Washington Post: Why human rights defenders love John McCain - Concord Monitor - July 31st, 2017
- Big Rigs, a Human Smuggling Mainstay, Often Become Rolling Traps - New York Times - July 31st, 2017
- Kelvin Benjamin's heartfelt Instagram post shows human side of football - ESPN (blog) - July 29th, 2017
- Fellow humans, don't panic yet - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - July 29th, 2017
- Why human rights defenders love John McCain - The Washington Post - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- If you could 'design' your own child, would you? - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Maybe the AI dystopia is already here - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Inevitably Posthuman? - The Weekly Standard - July 28th, 2017
- Trump's speech encouraging police to be 'rough,' annotated - Washington Post - July 28th, 2017
- 'First human cyborg' sucker-punched in subway station - New York Post - July 28th, 2017
- 10 People Dead In 'Human Trafficking' Case In Texas Parking Lot - HuffPost - July 28th, 2017
- Scientists genetically modify a human embryo for the first time - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Scientists are building DNA from scratch to redesign life - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Human Ken Doll Rodrigo Alves is 'waiting for his new chin to arrive in the post' ahead of 35k surgery binge - The Sun - July 26th, 2017
- Investigator: Driver part of larger human-smuggling scheme - The Denver Post - July 26th, 2017
- Plummeting Sperm Counts Could Result In Human Extinction, Doctor Warns - HuffPost UK - July 26th, 2017
- Company whose trailer was used in human smuggling case has history of legal problems - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017
- Here's a list of people Trump has fired or threatened to fire - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017
- Human Smuggling or Human Trafficking? They're Two Very Different Crimes - Texas Public Radio - July 26th, 2017
- Cooking With Human Poop Charcoal Is Now A Thing In Parts Of Kenya - Crave Online - July 26th, 2017
- Billionaire burn: Musk says Zuckerberg's understanding of AI threat 'is limited' - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017
- Human microchips coming to Wisconsin company near you - Washington Times - July 25th, 2017
- Horrific episode of human smuggling fuels both sides of immigration debate - Washington Post - July 25th, 2017
- Post-Brexit trade deals 'threaten UK's animal welfare standards' - The Guardian - July 25th, 2017
- The Phelps vs. shark charade was another bizarre episode of humans racing animals - Washington Post - July 24th, 2017
- Dumber than Darwin: Research shows human intelligence is falling since the 19th century - Times of India (blog) - July 24th, 2017
- Barcelona fans create 'largest human jersey' in New York's Bryant ... - ESPN FC (blog) - July 23rd, 2017
- More work remains on human trafficking - Bangkok Post - July 23rd, 2017
- Philippines' Duterte vows not to come to the US: 'I've seen America, and it's lousy' - Washington Post - July 23rd, 2017