By Peter RakobowchukThe Canadian Press
Tues., Aug. 22, 2017
MONTREALIts a far-out dream that Canadas two newest astronauts are hoping will come true: orbiting the moon within the next decade or so.
In fact, Joshua Kutryk and Jennifer Sidey are already looking beyond the International Space Station as they begin two years of intense basic training.
In an interview from Houston on Tuesday, Kutryk pointed out that Canada is committed to the space station until 2024 along with its international partners.
But the 35-year-old Albertan said the plan for what will happen after is already starting to be defined.
We dont have the details ironed out but we know that its going to involve new destinations, probably the moon and then Mars, said Kutryk, adding he expects Canada to seek out and play a large role.
I think that were living in a lifetime now when we see humans, including Canadian humans, potentially going back to the moon and thats just a super exciting thing for me to think about.
Thats to be determined but I do feel a lot of excitement for the Canadian space program in general, he said.
Sidey, who will be training alongside Kutryk, said travelling around the moon, in so-called cislunar orbit, is on her agenda.
Certainly, Im definitely in for the idea of deep space (and) longer space flights, kind of pushing what we can do, she said.
Cislunar for us is going to be incredibly important as a gateway to put people in orbit and eventually go back to the moon.
The 29-year-old Calgary-born astronaut was asked about her chances of orbiting the moon in the coming decades.
Her response was: Who knows, who knows, but Id love that... who wouldnt, huh.
But the focus over the next two years will be on understanding various things, including systems on the space station, human behaviour, robotics and survival training.
They will also learn Russian.
Were going to be juggling all sorts of subjects and theyre all very different and theyre all very important (and) keeping all those balls in the air at once is going to be tough, Sidey said.
Kutryk, a test pilot, admitted that learning Russian will be a tough test, noting it took him about 25 years to be comfortable in French.
Based on that experience, and when I look at the idea of learning a third language in two years, thats something thats definitely going to be challenging, he said.
On Tuesday, Kutryk and Sidey also joined a dozen American trainees in a link-up with three astronauts now on board the International Space Station.
Flight engineer Peggy Whitson, 57, who is on her third long-duration space station mission, had some advice for the group: know how to fix things.
You need to get good at using tools, Whitson said as she floated inside the space station. Thatll be an important part of your training, so pay attention to that part of it.
So you cant be hesitant about taking something apart and putting it back together, because thats a lot of our job.
View original post here:
Canada's newest astronauts consider moon, Mars missions after space station trip - Toronto Star
- Livestream: NASAs SpaceX Demo-2 launch to the International Space Station - Boston.com - May 27th, 2020
- In photos: The Expedition 63 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - May 27th, 2020
- NASA chief "all in" for Tom Cruise to film on space station - Herald-Whig - May 27th, 2020
- Look up: International Space Station visible above Thunder Bay in coming weeks - CBC.ca - May 27th, 2020
- International Space Station visible over Devon and Cornwall tonight - Plymouth Live - May 27th, 2020
- Here's how to see the International Space Station passing over Bristol this weekend - Bristol Live - May 27th, 2020
- You can view the International Space Station from Vancouver tonight - Vancouver Is Awesome - May 27th, 2020
- The next SpaceX launch will be the company's first with people on board - CNBC - May 18th, 2020
- Timetable for spotting the International Space Station as it passes over the UK and nine-year-old Lottie from Newbury takes her first cosmic... - May 18th, 2020
- International Space Station visible in orbit over the UK until the beginning of June - Newbury Weekly News Group - May 18th, 2020
- Salad could be grown on Mars, scientists say - The Independent - May 18th, 2020
- How and when to see the International Space Station in the sky from where you live - Hillingdon Times - May 18th, 2020
- International Space Station tracker: how to see the ISS fly over Scotland in May - The Scotsman - May 18th, 2020
- MB&F and LEpe 1839's Latest Clock is a Horological Space Station - HYPEBEAST - May 18th, 2020
- space station | Definition, History, & Facts | Britannica - May 8th, 2020
- International Space Station - Wikipedia - May 8th, 2020
- Astronaut offers insights on coronavirus from space station - Community Impact Newspaper - May 8th, 2020
- Tom Cruise Working With NASA To Film Aboard The International Space Station - WLEN-FM - May 8th, 2020
- Digital Space Solution Market to Witness Astonishing Growth With The SpaceStation, SpaceDigital, Mediaspace Solutions, Sajha Media Space, Nine... - May 8th, 2020
- Astronaut Christina Koch on making space history and how to survive isolation - The Verge - May 8th, 2020
- China plans to have space station by 2022 - The Canberra Times - May 6th, 2020
- How long will the 1st astronauts to ride SpaceX's Crew Dragon be in space? No one knows exactly (yet). - Space.com - May 6th, 2020
- China to debut new version of powerful Long March 5 rocket this week - Spaceflight Now - May 4th, 2020
- SpaceX Moon Contract Could Be Worth $7 Billion -- Or Nothing - The Motley Fool - May 4th, 2020
- An astronaut spotted SpaceX's Starlink internet satellites from the International Space Station - CNBC - April 21st, 2020
- Astronauts Return to Earth From International Space Station - EcoWatch - April 21st, 2020
- NASA to launch astronauts to space station from US soil for the first time in a decade - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - April 21st, 2020
- NASA astronaut, UCSD grad to return to earth from space station - - KUSI - April 21st, 2020
- Amazing shots of International Space Station over Swindon (and here's when you can see it next) - Swindon Advertiser - April 21st, 2020
- UFO Spotted On NASA Live Stream Video Outside The International Space Station Is Absolutely Real - BroBible - April 21st, 2020
- Three amember Space Station Crew Return to Earth - En Tempo.co - April 21st, 2020
- How engineers are operating space missions from their homes - The Verge - April 21st, 2020
- Soyuz launches new crew to the International Space Station - SpaceNews - April 9th, 2020
- Boeing intends to reattempt Starliner test flight to space station - CBS News - April 9th, 2020
- Great stargazing night ahead, when to see the International Space Station pass over Michigan - MLive.com - April 9th, 2020
- How to see the International Space Station in the Colorado Springs area on Tuesday and Wednesday - Colorado Springs Gazette - April 9th, 2020
- China's new crew spacecraft looks like it could dock with the International Space Station - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- In Photos: The Expedition 62 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- Five MIT payloads deployed on the International Space Station - Space Daily - March 31st, 2020
- NASA tasks SpaceX with sending cargo and supplies to future lunar space station - The Verge - March 31st, 2020
- 'I'm in awe': NASA astronaut salutes coronavirus-fighting doctors and nurses from orbit - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- All traditions are scrapped: Keeping coronavirus off the ISS - Digital Trends - March 31st, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station flying in the night sky over Somerset this weekend - Somerset Live - March 31st, 2020
- Watch this space, coronavirus weather & penguin-spotting - EURACTIV - March 31st, 2020
- Space holiday, anyone? Space X to send tourists to International Space Station - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- US launches advanced satellite in 1st Space Force national security mission - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- Sunlit Peaks in the Himalayas - NASA - March 31st, 2020
- Need More Space At Home? Try These Astronomy Livestreams - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Astronaut tips to survive lockdown: talk, teamwork, treats - Reuters - March 31st, 2020
- G2 Esports defeats Spacestation Gaming to win RLCS NA Regionals - Daily Esports - March 31st, 2020
- While we were stockpiling, here's what astronauts were up to in space last week - CNN - March 26th, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station flying over Greater Manchester over the next week - Manchester Evening News - March 26th, 2020
- How to see the International Space Station over Nottingham tonight - West Bridgford Wire - March 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the future: 11 ideas that went from science fiction to reality - Space.com - March 26th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Is Starting To Have A Serious Impact On The Space Industry - Forbes - March 26th, 2020
- In space, at sea: tips on isolation from the pros - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 26th, 2020
- In space, at sea: Professionals thriving in confinement have some Covid-19 work-from-home tips - Livemint - March 26th, 2020
- Houston-based research organization taps video game makers to advance space medicine - InnovationMap - March 26th, 2020
- UAE students invited to programme heroic space robots - The National - March 26th, 2020
- US government aims for better coordination in space weather campaign - SpaceNews - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how NASA protects astronauts and the International Space Station from coronavirus - CNN - March 24th, 2020
- Suddenly Stuck at Home? After 20 Years at the Space Station, NASA Teaches These 5 Success Behaviors to Stay Positive and Be Productive in Small Spaces... - March 24th, 2020
- Venus, International Space Station spotted from Mount Washington Observatory - The Boston Globe - March 24th, 2020
- The Safest Place to Hide From the Coronavirus: Space? - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- I Spent a Year in Space, and I Have Tips on Isolation to Share - The New York Times - March 24th, 2020
- A message from MIT astronauts: Accept the mission and find your motivators - MIT News - March 24th, 2020
- Feast your eyes on these treats in the night sky, with ISS, Venus and the constellations - Gloucestershire Live - March 24th, 2020
- Mir, the first modular space station - The Hindu - March 24th, 2020
- NASA astronaut to head to space station without fanfare - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 24th, 2020
- Want To Get Away? These Astronauts Talk About Life Off Earth, Dealing With Isolation and Facing Fears - WMFE - March 24th, 2020
- NASA Captures Footage Of UFO On Space Station Live Feed - KFI AM 640 - February 27th, 2020
- Central Florida teen sworn into Army by astronaut on International Space Station - WESH 2 Orlando - February 27th, 2020
- First Ever Future Soldier Swear-In From International Space Station - kjrh.com - February 27th, 2020
- Here's when the International Space Station will be visible in Louisville skies - WLKY Louisville - February 27th, 2020
- China wants to build a new space station. A planned launch in April will set the stage. - Space.com - February 27th, 2020
- Nasa films mystery UFO following the ISS for 20 minutes - Metro.co.uk - February 27th, 2020
- When can I see the Space Station this week? - pennlive.com - February 27th, 2020
- Local second-graders talk to astronaut aboard the International Space Station - WLWT Cincinnati - February 27th, 2020
- East Middle School students talk to astronaut on the International Space Station - Grandblancview - February 27th, 2020
- Environmental Monitoring from the International Space Station - Novus Light Technologies Today - February 27th, 2020