Steve Montgomery, CEO of Digital 6 Laboratories, started messing around with electronics in the third grade when transistors were common, highly integrated circuits were not, and people were still using tubes in radios.
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were his technical heroes. In high school, a friend’s father, who worked with some of the earliest computers, further whetted Montgomery’s love of technology.
As a teen intern, he did some work on bar code applications for the U.S. Postal Service’s ZIP+4. After five years in the Navy at nuclear power school one of the toughest regimes of its kind in the U.S. all Montgomery could think about was how much he wanted to start his own business.
He and his wife bought a little house, hung out a virtual shingle, and he became a technical writer, which led to contract development projects. As battery life and range improved and wireless networks exploded with voice and data applications, Montgomery kept having ideas.
When the Internet of Things began kicking in, Montgomery explains, we discovered a new radio technology that is like having ears so good it can pick out whispers when everyone else is yelling. From that, we have created wireless battery-powered sensors with years of battery life that you can peel and stick wherever something needs to be monitored.
The technology seemed a natural fit for unsolved applications in oil fields, but in 2015, the oil and gas industry tanked. We had a great cash cow market, Montgomery said, that didn’t exist.
Then Digital 6 got a phone call. What about embedding the device in soap dispensers? Soap pumps are an important part of hygiene in the hospitality industry. They can’t be allowed to sit empty, plus by monitoring soap usage in kitchens and employee restrooms and the like, management can assess if employees are washing their hands.
Today Digital 6 is shipping smart hand soap dispensers with five years of battery life all over the world. The company is scaling up to provide an Internet of Things platform to strategic partners who make all kinds of things that need to receive and transmit information.
Biotech is successful in Oklahoma, Montgomery said. We want to be that story in the tech space. We are a bricks-and-mortar company building product in Oklahoma, putting it in boxes, and shipping it all over the world.
From the Big Pasture Elementary School in Randlett to the computer lab at the Oklahoma School of Science and Math and scattered over the rest of Oklahoma’s nearly 70,000 square miles, there are hundreds of boys and girls who, like Steve Montgomery, have the curiosity and aptitude to go into technical fields, with the flair and drive to start their own companies.
We don’t know who they all are yet, but, just like Steve Montgomery, they are out there. We would be well served as a state to find better ways to encourage and invest in all of them.
Scott Meacham is president and CEO of i2E Inc., a nonprofit corporation that mentors many of the state’s technology-based startup companies. i2E receives state support from the Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology and is an integral part of Oklahoma’s Innovation Model. Contact Meacham at i2E_Comments@i2E.org.
DID YOU KNOW?
Ericsson predicts that in 2018, there will be more Internet of Things gadgets than mobile devices.
- Technology killing off corporate America: Average life span of companies under 20 years - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Automated technology isn't going anywhere and it's changing ... - USA TODAY - August 25th, 2017
- AMD Technology Falls Short... Really? - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2017
- Morgan Stanley: This next big technology trend could start the 'fourth industrial revolution' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Mortgage technology provider Blend raised another $100 million led by Greylock - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Philips to build health technology center in Tennessee - ABC News - August 25th, 2017
- Melinda Gates: I spent my career in technology. I wasn't prepared for ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Information technology can help build peace. This is how. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Is Set to Disrupt Every Industry--and Music Is Next - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Campus police using technology to solve and prevent crimes - The Rolla Daily News - August 22nd, 2017
- 3 ways blockchain technology will change how we game - VentureBeat - August 20th, 2017
- Kenyan Girls Use Technology to Combat Genital Cutting - Voice of America - August 20th, 2017
- Taking a stand on Charlottesville, technology companies seek balance with free speech - The Independent - August 20th, 2017
- Technology and the New Republic just never seemed to click - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Arizona edges to front of states eyeing blockchain technology - Arizona Daily Star - August 18th, 2017
- How technology is about to transform the way we save cash forever - Telegraph.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- Tester talks technology with local business leaders - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - August 18th, 2017
- 5 Questions: Is your child addicted to technology? - Philly.com - August 18th, 2017
- Opinion: This technology shift opens up new possibilities for iPhones, Androids and virtual reality - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- The glow of technology has a dark side - Houston Chronicle - August 16th, 2017
- How Technology is Now Empowering Educators - Inc.com - August 15th, 2017
- How Technology Might Get Out of Control - Bloomberg - August 15th, 2017
- Trump administration goes after China over intellectual property, advanced technology - Washington Post - August 15th, 2017
- OKC startup pioneers technology that prevents accidental IV disconnects for hospital patients - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- Modernizing Government Technology Act to get second path to passage in Senate NDAA - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 14th, 2017
- ASCAP Names Tristan Boutros Chief Technology Officer - Variety - August 14th, 2017
- This Technology Could Stop the World's Deadliest Animal - Mother Jones - August 14th, 2017
- Technology Speeds Up Timeline on Quarterly Close - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Trump Administration to Begin Probe of Alleged Chinese Technology Theft - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- 'Blockchain technology will change the world': Fidelity Labs SVP - CNBC - August 13th, 2017
- Victoria Teo, Technology Field, Sustainability, and the Roman Goddess - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- Technology migrations are more painful, and cloud isn't making them any easier - ZDNet - August 13th, 2017
- The fictitious movie technology we wish was real - CNET - August 13th, 2017
- Synchronous ledger technology (aka blockchain): The companies to watch - ZDNet - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists create world's first mutant ants with gene editing technology - Fox News - August 11th, 2017
- AWS just proved why standards drive technology platforms - TechCrunch - August 10th, 2017
- These Technology Index Funds Are Crushing It in 2017 - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2017
- Despite Proven Technology, Attempts To Make Table Saws Safer Drag On - NPR - August 10th, 2017
- 4 Best Technology Mutual Funds With Low Expense Ratios - Seeking Alpha - August 10th, 2017
- Mass market hopes for battery-free cell phone technology - Reuters - August 10th, 2017
- CB&I selling technology business, suspending dividend - Chron.com - August 10th, 2017
- Why SMBs Should Opt for Best-of-Breed Marketing Technology - eMarketer - August 9th, 2017
- Mazda says it has made a long-awaited breakthrough in engine technology - Ars Technica - August 9th, 2017
- Clyde Space to build cubesats for Audacy technology demonstration - SpaceNews - August 9th, 2017
- Elon Musk's Boring Company to use Tesla's technology for its tunnel project under LA - Electrek - August 9th, 2017
- DXC Technology posts $245m EBIT in first quarter since merger - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- 'Breakthrough' microchip technology helps heal wounds, nerves and organ damage - The Independent - August 9th, 2017
- Keeping up with technology - The Sun Daily - August 8th, 2017
- Google fires employee who wrote memo about women in technology jobs - The Boston Globe - August 8th, 2017
- Apple Needs Micron Technology - Seeking Alpha - August 8th, 2017
- SoftBank adding technology ambitions, with ARM, robotics - ABC News - August 8th, 2017
- Police looking for multiple suspects following Northwest Side shooting - WOAI - August 8th, 2017
- "Technology should look like something in your grandmother's room" says Oki Sato - Dezeen - August 8th, 2017
- Victim of 9/11 identified after 16 years using new DNA technology - The Independent - August 8th, 2017
- Newer traffic technology designed to cut back on wait time and accidents - KSFY - August 8th, 2017
- This insanely advanced technology could power a future colony on Mars. - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- India team helps IBM create technology to battle hackers - The Hindu - August 6th, 2017
- School Crossings: 1:1 technology explained - Chippewa Herald - August 6th, 2017
- Students solve crimes, study sunlight at Northern Essex science and technology camp - Eagle-Tribune - August 6th, 2017
- As shootings soar, Chicago police use technology to predict crime - Reuters - August 6th, 2017
- Bringing Garden Fresh technology to others - Crain's Detroit Business - August 6th, 2017
- Google Is Developing Technology for Snapchat-Like Media Content - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 5th, 2017
- America 2.0: Why It's Time for a Technology Upgrade - Knowledge@Wharton - August 5th, 2017
- Vigliotti: Human Rights and Technology - Carroll County Times - August 4th, 2017
- The 19th Century Moral Panic Over Paper Technology - Slate Magazine - August 4th, 2017
- Technology Gets Under The Skin - NPR - August 4th, 2017
- Trump promotes technology to improve veterans' health care - ABC News - August 4th, 2017
- Technology tracks 'bee talk' to help improve honey bee health - Phys.Org - August 4th, 2017
- The Supreme Court is about to become more transparent, thanks to technology - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- Former DoD CIO Teri Takai to Lead Center for Digital Government - Government Technology - August 3rd, 2017
- As Apple surges to all-time high, analyst sees a 'very troubling sign' for technology stocks - CNBC - August 3rd, 2017
- USDA creating better quality of life, safer environment through technology transfer - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Asian Technology Stocks Just Hit 17-year Peaks - Fortune - August 2nd, 2017
- Pharmaceutical Brands Can Use Programmatic Technology, Too - eMarketer - August 2nd, 2017
- Teachers embracing technology in the classroom - KRIS Corpus Christi News - August 2nd, 2017
- A Better, Safer Battery Could Be Coming to a Laptop Near You - New York Times - August 2nd, 2017
- Tesla's Longtime Battery Technology Director Leaves Company - Bloomberg - August 1st, 2017
- Use of this visual technology is becoming popular for big events - Phys.Org - August 1st, 2017
- Egalet's Guardian Technology Begins Fight Against Opioid Abuse Epidemic - Seeking Alpha - August 1st, 2017
- Technology and morality - Times of India (blog) - August 1st, 2017