Prices of bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash rebounded on Tuesday, while ethereum remained under pressure, further retreating from recent all-time highs.
A single bitcoin BTCUSD, +0.41% was most recently up 2% on the day at $4,139.87, after dropping to as low as $3,687 in morning trade. At the session lows, the virtual currency had briefly been pushed into correction territory, defined by technical analysts as a 10% or greater fall from a recent peak in an asset.
Bitcoin hit as low as $3,687 earlier on the day, which would represent a 16.7% decline from its mid-August record close above $4,425, according to virtual-currency site Coindesk.com. At current levels it is 8% below that peak.
Even after the stumbles, bitcoins price is about 400% higher since the start of the year, with a market cap at $68.7 billion, according to digital-currency research site Coinmarketcap.com.
Meanwhile, ethereums ether token retreated, coming off a recent record, down 0.5% at $322.33 on the day. It reached a peak in mid-June at about $380 a token.
Some industry experts played down the digital-currency slide.
Naturally some of the prices and exuberance seen in the price are causing traders to take profits, said Charles Hayter, chief executive and founder of CryptoCompare.
The moves for bitcoin come as the industry has tackled so-called scaling issues, which are intended to increase transaction sizes in the blockchain network. Traditional bitcoin participants have coalesced around a new protocol known as Segregated Witness, or SegWit., which solves bitcoins scaling issue.
With SegWit implementation it has perhaps been a question of buy the rumor, sell the news, said Hayter, referring to the industrys recent trading in the wake of upgrades to the bitcoin network.
Meanwhile, bitcoins offspring Bitcoin Cash, which tumbled 14% on Monday, rebounded on Tuesday, trading 5.2% higher on the day at $662.25.
The fallout of bitcoins transaction-size problem was the creation of Bitcoin Cash.
Bitcoin Cash, the nascent alternative to bitcoin, had climbed to a recent peak of $920 on Saturday. At current prices, its market capitalization is above $11 billion, making it the third-most valuable virtual currency, behind cyberunits running on the ethereum blockchain.
Like bitcoin, ethereum went through a fissure last year that resulted in ethereum and ethereum classic, which emerged after ethereums developers engineered a controversial software update that rolled back part of its blockchain in an attempt to recover stolen funds, which led to a segment of investors refusing to adopt the update.
Ethereum and ethereum classic have coexisted the fanaticism of [Bitcoin Cash] as a fringe idea will most likely influence bitcoin, but as with most splits left of field plays, it will not reach mainstream, just like politics, said Hayter. That said, if bitcoin manages to fracture its community through infighting, there could be a chink in its armor.
So-called ethereum classic is worth only a fraction of its updated brethren, with a market value at $1.3 billion, compared with ethereum at nearly $30 billion. Ethereum appreciated nearly 70% since the start of August and is up 3,875% year to date, having started 2017 at about $8.
The total market value of an array of widely followed digital currencies was at $147.49 billion.
View original post here:
Bitcoin rebounds after briefly entering correction territory - MarketWatch
- Still Too Early To Declare Longer-Term Bitcoin Trend Change - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Few Banks Will Touch Crypto Firms, but Silvergate Wants to Touch Bitcoin Itself - Coindesk - January 31st, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Budge as Brexit Arrives Tomorrow? - Bitcoinist - January 31st, 2020
- This Bitcoin Competitor Pumped 272% And a Self-Proclaimed Inventor of BTC Says He Knows Why - The Daily Hodl - January 31st, 2020
- Are Bitcoin Bulls Finally Giving Up? BTC Shows First Signs of a Big Correction - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Could Rally to $10,000: Former Wall Street trader Tone Vays - FXStreet - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 31st, 2020
- This is the right amount of bitcoin to keep in an investment portfolio - CNBC - January 31st, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Avoids a Price Squeeze to $9,000, as Tesla Soars over Bleeding Shorts - Coingape - January 31st, 2020
- Crypto Whale Loads 2,000 Bitcoin (BTC) on Binance As Traders Track 250,000,000 XRP on the Move - The Daily Hodl - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- 7 times Andrew Yang has spoken about Bitcoin - Decrypt - January 31st, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) at $9,500; There is No Argument to be Bearish Says Analyst - Coingape - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be $8 Trillion Economy by 2030, Top Wealth Manager Explains Why - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Do or Die For Bitcoin Bears: Its The Most Critical Period For BTC - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Developers Say Google Play Unfairly Booted Their Bitcoin Rewards Game - CoinDesk - January 31st, 2020
- Elon Musks Tesla Is Bitcoin on Wheels and the Bubble Will Burst, Warns GLJ Research CEO - The Daily Hodl - January 31st, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: market moves in fits and starts - FXStreet - January 31st, 2020
- Coinbase going offline leads to insane Bitcoin volatility; heres what could happen next - CryptoSlate - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Fades: What's Next? - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- Trustverse Token Now Listed for Trading on Bitcoin.com Exchange and Users Can Win 1 Million TRV - Bitcoin News - January 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $170K By 2028, Data Reveals - December 15th, 2019
- This Former Bitcoin Skeptic Thinks The Price Is About To ExplodeHeres Why - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Diary: Long BTC and Profitable on Many Altcoin Positions - Cointelegraph - December 15th, 2019
- What The Charts Say About Bitcoin - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- This Bitcoin Rival Just Crashed By A Shocking 70% In An Hour [Update] - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Beats Netflix And Microsoft - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Notorious dark web criminal makes $100k bitcoin price prediction from prison - The Independent - December 15th, 2019
- New Report Shows China Dominates Bitcoin Mining, Is This a Sign of Worry? - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- When Might Bitcoin Be Ready To Resume Its Bull Trend? - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin, Gold, Silver And Armageddon - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoins grim future indicates a retest of $6,515 and perhaps lower - AMBCrypto - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin may jump to $9,100 ahead of Christmas - FXStreet - December 15th, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Headed to 7-Month Low If $7K Support Fails - Cointelegraph - December 15th, 2019
- Max Keiser: Bitcoin's First Function Is to Clean Up the Mess Left by Fiat - Cointelegraph - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash ABC, EOS and Ethereum Daily Tech Analysis 14/12/19 - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Weekly Forecast: Let the Santa rally begin - FXStreet - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin SVs situation in the German-speaking countries - CoinGeek - December 15th, 2019
- Billionaire Mark Cuban Says Bitcoin May Have One Valuable Use Case But Its Not As a Currency - The Daily Hodl - December 15th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - December 3rd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 3rd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 3rd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Live and Bitcoin Chart, BTC Value, BTC to ... - November 23rd, 2019
- As Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripples XRP, And Litecoin Lose Billions, This One Small Coin Has More Than Doubled - Forbes - November 23rd, 2019
- As Bitcoin Plummets Below $8,000, Crypto Heavyweights See The Price Going Sharply HigherHeres Why - Forbes - November 23rd, 2019
- Why Its Safe To Discuss Bitcoin And Crypto At This Years Thanksgiving - Forbes - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin price: why the digital coin is suffering its biggest fall in six months - The Week UK - November 23rd, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Prediction: Could a Long Wick Bounce Upwards to the $7,500 Mark? - U.Today - November 23rd, 2019
- PayPal CEO Holds Bitcoin and Only Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Dumps Can Be Identified by One Simple Method, Notes Analyst - BeInCrypto - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Crashes Back to $7.4K Completely Wiping Out the October Rally - Cointelegraph - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoins climate change impact may be much smaller than we thought - New Scientist News - November 23rd, 2019
- Cops nab fraudster by tracing phone number linked to Bitcoin purchases - The Next Web - November 23rd, 2019
- Family Offices Finally Accept the Benefits of Investing in Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin price plunges 5 percent to $8,100 within hours - Decrypt - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Gains Prove These Critics Were Dead Wrong - CCN Markets - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Breaks $7,000 as Whale Dumps on Huobi - Bitcoinist - November 23rd, 2019
- Ripple (XRP) Price Trend Overwhelmingly Negative, Bitcoin Dives To $7.5K - newsBTC - November 23rd, 2019
- Exclusive Interview with John McAfee: Epstein Didnt Kill Himself, Bitcoin to Hit $1 million, & Rus - U.Today - November 23rd, 2019
- Forget Bitcoin and gold! Id invest 5k in the FTSE 100 today - Yahoo Finance UK - November 23rd, 2019