Bitcoin rose modestly on Thursday as the most prominent digital currency recovers from recent sharp declines that briefly put it into correction territory.
Moves for the cyber monetary unit come as Securities and Exchange Commission temporarily suspended trading in the shares of First Bitcoin Capital Corp. BITCF, +4.68% because of concerns about the accuracy and adequacy of public information on the Canadian company.
Still, a single bitcoin BTCUSD, +2.62% rose 2.3% to $4,287.64, advancing for a third straight day, according to Coindesk.com data, and sending its total market value to about $70 billion, according to digital-currency research site Coinmarketcap.com.
Despite recent advances, the digital currency, is still about 5% below its record set on Aug. 17, though year to date, it is up more than 300%.
Bitcoin prices have been volatile, largely due to issues surrounding the need to increase transaction sizes in the blockchain network. Traditional bitcoin participants agreed on a new protocol known as Segregated Witness, or SegWit., which they believe solves bitcoins scaling issue.
The adoption of SegWit hasnt been smooth, with a minority of users rejecting it, leading to the split of bitcoin that created Bitcoin Cash.
On Thursday, the price of Bitcoin Cash fell 1.6% to 649.32, bringing its market cap to $10.7 billion.
Ether tokens, the chief rival to bitcoin, which runs on the Ethereum network, was little changed on Thursday at $323.74. Ether on Wednesday rose 0.4% to $325, its highest level since June 23. While it remains below an all-time intraday high above $400 hit on June 12, it has more than doubled from a recent intraday low hit in mid-July. For 2017, it is up about 4,000%, bringing its market cap to $30.6 billion.
Read: This bitcoin $25,000 call is more proof of the cybercurrency bubble
The recent advances in bitcoin, along with the recovery in Ether, brought the total market capitalization of all cryprtocurrencies above $150 billion. The basket of cybercurrencies tracked by Coinmarketcap.com first broke above $100 billion in early June, meaning the space has risen by half in a little more than two months.
Meanwhile, shares of Firtst Bitcoin Capital Corp traded at $1.79 before its halt. The stock traded at $0.05 at the start of the year and gained more than 6,000% year to date.
First Bitcoin Capital Corp. is a Canadian corporation that invests in companies that mine bitcoin and operates exchanges and digital wallets, according to their website. The suspension was effective Thursday 9:30 Eastern Tim until noon Sept. 7.
In other news, A regulatory arm of Canada on Thursday signaled a warning about so-called initial coin offerings, or ICOs, which have spiked in popularity. The Canadian Securities Administrator, although acknowledging the benefits of raising funds by digital tokens, it said there are big risks.
However, they can also raise investor protection concerns, due to issues around volatility, transparency, valuation, custody and liquidity, as well as the use of unregulated cryptocurrency exchanges.Also, investors may be harmed by unethical practices or illegal schemes, and may not understand the properties of the investment products that they are purchasing, the CSA said, adding that it was monitoring developments in ICOs.
- Bitcoin Price Analysis - Retesting all time highs - Brave New Coin - August 25th, 2017
- No SegWit Bump? Bitcoin Price Shrugs Off Upgrade with Sideways Trading - CoinDesk - August 25th, 2017
- Bitcoin rebounds after briefly entering correction territory - MarketWatch - August 22nd, 2017
- Believe the Hype: Here's the Actual Next Big Thing in Tech - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- The IRS Has Special Software to Find Bitcoin Tax Cheats - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Mark Cuban Backs Cryptocurrency Fund After Saying Bitcoin Is a Bubble - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Analysts Compete for the Highest Price Forecast - Bloomberg - Bloomberg - August 22nd, 2017
- 'Bitcoin cash' soars to record high above $900 as 'mining' profits jump - CNBC - August 20th, 2017
- 'Bitcoin cash' surges 40% in single day as investors bet on its faster processing speeds - CNBC - August 20th, 2017
- Teenage bitcoin millionaire is back with a better Botangle ... - TechCrunch - August 20th, 2017
- Bitcoin bond launch brings digital currency step closer to 'world of high finance' - CNBC - August 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin just passed $4,000 | TechCrunch - August 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin Surged to a New High Adding $17 Billion in Just Over a Week - Fortune - August 18th, 2017
- Another major country joins China and Japan in cracking down on bitcoin exchanges - CNBC - August 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Breaks Price Doldrums to Push Past $400 - CoinDesk - August 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin wallet 'Blockchain' adds Ethereum support - TechCrunch - August 18th, 2017
- Photos: Inside one of the world's largest bitcoin mines - Quartz - August 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin's Next Battle May Already Be Looming - Fortune - August 16th, 2017
- Bitcoin ticks higher following pullback from record - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Surges After Agreement on Software Update - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Opinion: How you can make easy money from the bitcoin bubble - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- Bitcoin Is Literally Soaring Into Space After Rocket-Like Surge - Bloomberg - August 16th, 2017
- Bitcoin Is Forking. Again. - Motherboard - August 16th, 2017
- Bitcoin 'miners' dig more than just the money - CNBC - August 16th, 2017
- Bitcoin market cap is within touching distance of major stocks like Netflix - CNBC - August 15th, 2017
- Bitcoin Bill Delayed as Russian Lawmakers Seek 'Optimal Solution' - CoinDesk - August 15th, 2017
- Dennis Gartman shares why he is staying away from bitcoin: 'Don't understand it' - CNBC - August 15th, 2017
- After calling latest surge above $4000, Standpoint's Ronnie Moas raises bitcoin forecast to $7500 - CNBC - August 14th, 2017
- Poloniex and Breadwallet Will Support Bitcoin Cash Transfers - The Merkle - August 14th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Flies To More Than $4100 Over Weekend - PYMNTS.com - August 14th, 2017
- 3 Must Read Stories: Bitcoin above $4000, China's Risky Stocks, North Korea Sanctions - Barron's - August 14th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Hard Fork: It'll Show Us Which Coin Is Best | Fortune.com - Fortune - August 13th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Index - Real-time Bitcoin Price Charts - August 11th, 2017
- Bitcoin surges to fresh record above $3500, beats gold amid the global market sell-off - CNBC - August 11th, 2017
- Square founder Jack Dorsey talks bitcoin and says blockchain is the 'next big unlock' - The Verge - August 11th, 2017
- The Bitcoin Price Just Inched Up to Set Another All-Time High - CoinDesk - August 11th, 2017
- Russia Is Secretly Plotting to Expand Bitcoin Mining Industry to Take on China - TheStreet.com - August 11th, 2017
- Top Wall Street strategist expects bitcoin to be the best asset through year-end - CNBC - August 11th, 2017
- $5000 Bitcoin? 3 Reasons to Buyand to Stay Away - Fortune - August 11th, 2017
- Howard Marks, who has called past market bubbles, says 'I don't understand what's behind bitcoin' - CNBC - August 11th, 2017
- Bitcoin is almost triple the price of gold here's what traders think you should buy - CNBC - August 10th, 2017
- Buoyant bitcoin stirs crypto-bubble fears - CNBC - August 10th, 2017
- Bitcoin retreats from all-time high even as Fidelity debuts digital-currency tracking - MarketWatch - August 10th, 2017
- As bitcoin comes off its record high, the next step is to avoid a 'lightning fork' - CNBC - August 10th, 2017
- The case for $5000 bitcoin - Quartz - August 10th, 2017
- Bring on the Forks: Bitcoin Traders See Improving Price Outlook for 2017 - CoinDesk - August 10th, 2017
- Bitcoin climbs to record, nearly three times the price of gold - CNBC - August 9th, 2017
- This Putin Ally Wants to Get in on the Bitcoin Mining Craze - Fortune - August 9th, 2017
- Bitcoin extends record climb, as digital currencies on the rise - MarketWatch - August 8th, 2017
- The Bitcoin Cash Fork Was a Dangerous Trick - Fortune - August 8th, 2017
- Hackers Demand Millions in Bitcoin for Stolen HBO Files - New York Times - August 8th, 2017
- Why is bitcoin surging? Ask 'Spoofy,' the trader who's reportedly manipulating prices - MarketWatch - August 8th, 2017
- Bitcoin Is Now Worth Nearly 3 Times More Than an Ounce of Gold ... - CoinDesk - August 8th, 2017
- OSTK to HODL: Overstock to Keep 50% of All Bitcoin Payments as Investments - CoinDesk - August 8th, 2017
- Illicit activity is hurting Bitcoin's future | New York Post - New York Post - August 6th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash - The All New Crypto Kid In Town - Seeking Alpha - August 6th, 2017
- There's a house full of cryptocurrency gurus in San Francisco, and it's like a modern-day commune - CNBC - August 6th, 2017
- Bitcoin Rockets Past $3000 to a New Record High - Fortune - August 6th, 2017
- Bitcoin surges above $3K to record, more than tripling this year while 'bitcoin cash' struggles - CNBC - August 6th, 2017
- Bitcoin cash and the 'civil war' that is disrupting digital currency ... - South China Morning Post - August 6th, 2017
- Segwit2x and the Tale of Three Bitcoins - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 6th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Surges Past $3,200 to Hit All-Time High - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 6th, 2017
- 'Bitcoin cash' prices fall by 57 percent, while some investors must wait until 2018 to receive their tokens - CNBC - August 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash: Currency Soars to $700, Lawsuit Looms | Fortune.com - August 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Has Split Into Two Cryptocurrencies. What, Exactly, Does That Mean? - Slate Magazine (blog) - August 4th, 2017
- Coinbase says it will support Bitcoin Cash after all but it isn't committed to trading yet - TechCrunch - August 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Mobile SIM Card Top-Ups Now Available in 136 Countries - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 4th, 2017
- Germany's Largest Bitcoin Exchange Hands Over Customer Data Voluntarily - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- Coinbase to Let Users Withdraw Bitcoin Cash After Outcry - Fortune - August 3rd, 2017
- 'Bitcoin cash' potential limited, but a catalyst could be looming for it to take off - CNBC - August 3rd, 2017
- Hackers have cashed out on $143000 of bitcoin from the massive WannaCry ransomware attack - CNBC - August 3rd, 2017
- CBOE plans to launch bitcoin futures, announces agreement with Winklevoss brothers' digital currency exchange - CNBC - August 3rd, 2017
- Bitcoin splits as new currency takes off - BBC News - August 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin split in two, here's what that means - CNNMoney - August 2nd, 2017
- Nchain and Bitcoin Unlimited Promote Bitcoin Scaling Initiatives Amid Hard Fork - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin has split, and there are now two versions of the popular cryptocurrency - Quartz - August 1st, 2017
- The Problem with Bitcoin Price Charts (Explained in Two Charts) - CoinDesk - August 1st, 2017
- Bitcoin to surge nearly 80% to $5000, ethereum to double, Standpoint's Moas predicts - CNBC - August 1st, 2017
- Bitcoin Chrome Extension Keeps You Up to Date on Price Fluctuations - Lifehacker - August 1st, 2017
- Bitcoin UASF Proposal Quietly Activates to Little Effect - CoinDesk - August 1st, 2017