Bitcoin rose modestly on Thursday as the most prominent digital currency recovers from recent sharp declines that briefly put it into correction territory.
Moves for the cyber monetary unit come as Securities and Exchange Commission temporarily suspended trading in the shares of First Bitcoin Capital Corp. BITCF, +4.68% because of concerns about the accuracy and adequacy of public information on the Canadian company.
Still, a single bitcoin BTCUSD, +2.62% rose 2.3% to $4,287.64, advancing for a third straight day, according to Coindesk.com data, and sending its total market value to about $70 billion, according to digital-currency research site Coinmarketcap.com.
Despite recent advances, the digital currency, is still about 5% below its record set on Aug. 17, though year to date, it is up more than 300%.
Bitcoin prices have been volatile, largely due to issues surrounding the need to increase transaction sizes in the blockchain network. Traditional bitcoin participants agreed on a new protocol known as Segregated Witness, or SegWit., which they believe solves bitcoins scaling issue.
The adoption of SegWit hasnt been smooth, with a minority of users rejecting it, leading to the split of bitcoin that created Bitcoin Cash.
On Thursday, the price of Bitcoin Cash fell 1.6% to 649.32, bringing its market cap to $10.7 billion.
Ether tokens, the chief rival to bitcoin, which runs on the Ethereum network, was little changed on Thursday at $323.74. Ether on Wednesday rose 0.4% to $325, its highest level since June 23. While it remains below an all-time intraday high above $400 hit on June 12, it has more than doubled from a recent intraday low hit in mid-July. For 2017, it is up about 4,000%, bringing its market cap to $30.6 billion.
Read: This bitcoin $25,000 call is more proof of the cybercurrency bubble
The recent advances in bitcoin, along with the recovery in Ether, brought the total market capitalization of all cryprtocurrencies above $150 billion. The basket of cybercurrencies tracked by Coinmarketcap.com first broke above $100 billion in early June, meaning the space has risen by half in a little more than two months.
Meanwhile, shares of Firtst Bitcoin Capital Corp traded at $1.79 before its halt. The stock traded at $0.05 at the start of the year and gained more than 6,000% year to date.
First Bitcoin Capital Corp. is a Canadian corporation that invests in companies that mine bitcoin and operates exchanges and digital wallets, according to their website. The suspension was effective Thursday 9:30 Eastern Tim until noon Sept. 7.
In other news, A regulatory arm of Canada on Thursday signaled a warning about so-called initial coin offerings, or ICOs, which have spiked in popularity. The Canadian Securities Administrator, although acknowledging the benefits of raising funds by digital tokens, it said there are big risks.
However, they can also raise investor protection concerns, due to issues around volatility, transparency, valuation, custody and liquidity, as well as the use of unregulated cryptocurrency exchanges.Also, investors may be harmed by unethical practices or illegal schemes, and may not understand the properties of the investment products that they are purchasing, the CSA said, adding that it was monitoring developments in ICOs.
- Still Too Early To Declare Longer-Term Bitcoin Trend Change - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Few Banks Will Touch Crypto Firms, but Silvergate Wants to Touch Bitcoin Itself - Coindesk - January 31st, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Budge as Brexit Arrives Tomorrow? - Bitcoinist - January 31st, 2020
- This Bitcoin Competitor Pumped 272% And a Self-Proclaimed Inventor of BTC Says He Knows Why - The Daily Hodl - January 31st, 2020
- Are Bitcoin Bulls Finally Giving Up? BTC Shows First Signs of a Big Correction - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Could Rally to $10,000: Former Wall Street trader Tone Vays - FXStreet - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 31st, 2020
- This is the right amount of bitcoin to keep in an investment portfolio - CNBC - January 31st, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Avoids a Price Squeeze to $9,000, as Tesla Soars over Bleeding Shorts - Coingape - January 31st, 2020
- Crypto Whale Loads 2,000 Bitcoin (BTC) on Binance As Traders Track 250,000,000 XRP on the Move - The Daily Hodl - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- 7 times Andrew Yang has spoken about Bitcoin - Decrypt - January 31st, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) at $9,500; There is No Argument to be Bearish Says Analyst - Coingape - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be $8 Trillion Economy by 2030, Top Wealth Manager Explains Why - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Do or Die For Bitcoin Bears: Its The Most Critical Period For BTC - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Developers Say Google Play Unfairly Booted Their Bitcoin Rewards Game - CoinDesk - January 31st, 2020
- Elon Musks Tesla Is Bitcoin on Wheels and the Bubble Will Burst, Warns GLJ Research CEO - The Daily Hodl - January 31st, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: market moves in fits and starts - FXStreet - January 31st, 2020
- Coinbase going offline leads to insane Bitcoin volatility; heres what could happen next - CryptoSlate - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Fades: What's Next? - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 31st, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- Trustverse Token Now Listed for Trading on Bitcoin.com Exchange and Users Can Win 1 Million TRV - Bitcoin News - January 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 31st, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $170K By 2028, Data Reveals - December 15th, 2019
- This Former Bitcoin Skeptic Thinks The Price Is About To ExplodeHeres Why - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Diary: Long BTC and Profitable on Many Altcoin Positions - Cointelegraph - December 15th, 2019
- What The Charts Say About Bitcoin - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- This Bitcoin Rival Just Crashed By A Shocking 70% In An Hour [Update] - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Beats Netflix And Microsoft - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Notorious dark web criminal makes $100k bitcoin price prediction from prison - The Independent - December 15th, 2019
- New Report Shows China Dominates Bitcoin Mining, Is This a Sign of Worry? - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- When Might Bitcoin Be Ready To Resume Its Bull Trend? - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin, Gold, Silver And Armageddon - Forbes - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoins grim future indicates a retest of $6,515 and perhaps lower - AMBCrypto - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin may jump to $9,100 ahead of Christmas - FXStreet - December 15th, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Headed to 7-Month Low If $7K Support Fails - Cointelegraph - December 15th, 2019
- Max Keiser: Bitcoin's First Function Is to Clean Up the Mess Left by Fiat - Cointelegraph - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash ABC, EOS and Ethereum Daily Tech Analysis 14/12/19 - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin Weekly Forecast: Let the Santa rally begin - FXStreet - December 15th, 2019
- Bitcoin SVs situation in the German-speaking countries - CoinGeek - December 15th, 2019
- Billionaire Mark Cuban Says Bitcoin May Have One Valuable Use Case But Its Not As a Currency - The Daily Hodl - December 15th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - December 3rd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 3rd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 3rd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 3rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Live and Bitcoin Chart, BTC Value, BTC to ... - November 23rd, 2019
- As Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripples XRP, And Litecoin Lose Billions, This One Small Coin Has More Than Doubled - Forbes - November 23rd, 2019
- As Bitcoin Plummets Below $8,000, Crypto Heavyweights See The Price Going Sharply HigherHeres Why - Forbes - November 23rd, 2019
- Why Its Safe To Discuss Bitcoin And Crypto At This Years Thanksgiving - Forbes - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin price: why the digital coin is suffering its biggest fall in six months - The Week UK - November 23rd, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Prediction: Could a Long Wick Bounce Upwards to the $7,500 Mark? - U.Today - November 23rd, 2019
- PayPal CEO Holds Bitcoin and Only Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Dumps Can Be Identified by One Simple Method, Notes Analyst - BeInCrypto - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Crashes Back to $7.4K Completely Wiping Out the October Rally - Cointelegraph - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoins climate change impact may be much smaller than we thought - New Scientist News - November 23rd, 2019
- Cops nab fraudster by tracing phone number linked to Bitcoin purchases - The Next Web - November 23rd, 2019
- Family Offices Finally Accept the Benefits of Investing in Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin price plunges 5 percent to $8,100 within hours - Decrypt - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Gains Prove These Critics Were Dead Wrong - CCN Markets - November 23rd, 2019
- Bitcoin Breaks $7,000 as Whale Dumps on Huobi - Bitcoinist - November 23rd, 2019
- Ripple (XRP) Price Trend Overwhelmingly Negative, Bitcoin Dives To $7.5K - newsBTC - November 23rd, 2019
- Exclusive Interview with John McAfee: Epstein Didnt Kill Himself, Bitcoin to Hit $1 million, & Rus - U.Today - November 23rd, 2019
- Forget Bitcoin and gold! Id invest 5k in the FTSE 100 today - Yahoo Finance UK - November 23rd, 2019