Before Arizona could be recognized as a leader in blockchain technology legislation there was one major challenge helping lawmakers get your head around exactly what the technology is.
It was very difficult, you know, trying to explain to people, said Arizona State Rep. Jeff Weninger, R-Chandler. You never want to vote for something that you dont fully understand and this is, to say the least, a tough thing to get your head around.
Weninger sponsored a bill that makes Arizona one of a handful of states to accept electronic signatures on contracts, a law that is made possible through the use of blockchain.
Blockchain is best known as the technology behind bitcoin, the system that lets people use digital currency in place of standard government-issued money. The technology was created in 2009 as a decentralized, replicated, peer-to-peer review network to serve as a public ledger for bitcoin but quickly found other uses in online data verification and the transfer of value.
Weninger called his bill a little stab at getting acceptance and understanding of the new and often misunderstood technology that backers say could ultimately lead to more-secure voting, money handling, identification and more.
Lawmakers have called the new technology bulletproof, saying that it adds a level of trust in the management of records and identity management, among other applications.
One such application is the electronic signature law passed by Arizona. Using blockchain, an encoded, or smart, contract allows the technology to act as a witness to an agreement, validating, overseeing and imposing terms of the contract with no need of a middleman or third-party organization.
In March, Gov. Doug Ducey signed Weningers bill, HB 2417, to recognize signatures and smart contracts secured though blockchain as valid forms of contracts.
Ducey said the smart-contract bill shows Arizona to be a state thats really leading the way in embracing and recognizing these new technologies, said Patrick Ptak, a spokesman for the governor.
Blockchain technology is new and emerging, Ptak said. It kind of started out as an application for Bitcoin but now industries across the spectrum are seeing new applications for it from finance to healthcare to law and its something that we think has a lot of potential. I think that were just barely tapping its potential uses and applications.
Blockchain works by recording transactions whether they be digital currencies, smart contracts or something like an electronic vote as blocks of data, with each updated added to the others chronologically hence a blockchain.
This encryption algorithm of blockchain has been called un-hackable due to the nature in which it distributes information to multiple parties creating a shared database. Because blockchain is decentralized, there is no one central computer that can be hacked. If one computer were to be hacked, every other computer running that database would cry foul.
What makes blockchain appealing is that it allows a standard for trust for online transactions, or a starting point for untrusted parties to carry out transactions without a normal intermediary such as a bank.
In Arizona, lawmakers are looking forward to numerous possibilities that a future with this technology could provide.
It (blockchain) adds a level of trust for a citizen to know that their data is being properly managed, but also having access to knowing who and for what purposes their data is being looked at, said Tommy Leander, a legislative assistant for Rep. David Schweikert, R- Fountain Hills.
Schweikert in February helped launch the Congressional Blockchain Caucus, saying it is critical for members of Congress to begin comprehending both their current applications and future use cases. Weninger also credits Schweikert with inspiring the smart contract bill.
Weninger, who said he shared YouTube videos of TED Talks with fellow lawmakers in an effort to help them understand blockchain, said that despite the confusion his colleagues were eager to be at the forefront of this technology.
Democrats and Republicans like being at the tip of the spear of new technologies and new ways of doing things, he said.
Weninger added that besides business applications, he hopes to see more government applications of blockchain in the future.
I think the technology will get better, I think the proof of concept will get better and here in Arizona well keep expanding, he said
As one of a half-dozen states to embrace blockchain legislation, Arizona hopes to see new companies come to the state, Ptak says.
Arizona, in general, has been a national leader in being the first to recognize and embrace these technologies and youre seeing the result in that a lot of tech companies are now coming to Arizona and coming to the Phoenix area, Ptak said.
Cronkite News reporter Joe Gilmore contributed to this report.
- Live Caption, Googles automatic captioning technology, is now available on Pixel 4 - TechCrunch - October 16th, 2019
- Drones, apps and smart lockers: The technology transforming healthcare in Africa - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Mind-reading technology is everyone's next big security nightmare - ZDNet - October 16th, 2019
- The 7 Biggest Technology Trends That Will Transform Telecoms In 2020 - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Role Of Technology In The Evolution Of Communication - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Revolutionary Impact Of Immersive Technology On Education - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Super-Resolution Imaging Technologies in Life Science | 2019-2024 Technology Highlights and Market Outlook - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schools should take the occasional break from technology - here's why - Study International News - October 16th, 2019
- Finding a balance between security and responsive technology - ITProPortal - October 16th, 2019
- NBN chief blames Australia's poor speed rating on 'unrepresentative' data - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- 5 smart home technology trends to keep your eye on in 2019 - Silicon Canals - October 16th, 2019
- Technology has changed the world, the world has changed technology - The Upcoming - October 16th, 2019
- Technology sparks dramatic rise in scams reported to the Lincoln Police Dept. - 1011now - October 16th, 2019
- Technology is redefining that client-financial advisor relationship - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- APPIX Officially Launches Incredible Broadcast Technology That Creates Immersive Experiences And Audience Engagement At Concerts And Events - MarTech... - October 16th, 2019
- Gathr Lab Launches New Technology Set to Break the Black-Box Approach and Empower Marketers to Understand, Reach and Grow Their Audiences - Business... - October 16th, 2019
- Integrating the Science of How We Learn into Education Technology - Harvard Business Review - October 16th, 2019
- Google And Levis Partner Up To Bring Us Wearable Technology - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- UK vulnerable to malicious meddling in election, warns study - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Food Science and Technology job with BNU-HKBU UNITED INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | 183631 - Times... - October 16th, 2019
- Digital welfare state: big tech allowed to target and surveil the poor, UN is warned - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- South Korean startups gather momentum - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Technology killing off corporate America: Average life span of companies under 20 years - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Automated technology isn't going anywhere and it's changing ... - USA TODAY - August 25th, 2017
- AMD Technology Falls Short... Really? - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2017
- Morgan Stanley: This next big technology trend could start the 'fourth industrial revolution' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Mortgage technology provider Blend raised another $100 million led by Greylock - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Philips to build health technology center in Tennessee - ABC News - August 25th, 2017
- Melinda Gates: I spent my career in technology. I wasn't prepared for ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Information technology can help build peace. This is how. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Is Set to Disrupt Every Industry--and Music Is Next - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Campus police using technology to solve and prevent crimes - The Rolla Daily News - August 22nd, 2017
- 3 ways blockchain technology will change how we game - VentureBeat - August 20th, 2017
- Kenyan Girls Use Technology to Combat Genital Cutting - Voice of America - August 20th, 2017
- Taking a stand on Charlottesville, technology companies seek balance with free speech - The Independent - August 20th, 2017
- Technology and the New Republic just never seemed to click - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- How technology is about to transform the way we save cash forever - Telegraph.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- Tester talks technology with local business leaders - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - August 18th, 2017
- 5 Questions: Is your child addicted to technology? - Philly.com - August 18th, 2017
- Opinion: This technology shift opens up new possibilities for iPhones, Androids and virtual reality - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- The glow of technology has a dark side - Houston Chronicle - August 16th, 2017
- How Technology is Now Empowering Educators - Inc.com - August 15th, 2017
- How Technology Might Get Out of Control - Bloomberg - August 15th, 2017
- Trump administration goes after China over intellectual property, advanced technology - Washington Post - August 15th, 2017
- Building technology in Oklahoma, shipping all over the world - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- OKC startup pioneers technology that prevents accidental IV disconnects for hospital patients - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- Modernizing Government Technology Act to get second path to passage in Senate NDAA - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 14th, 2017
- ASCAP Names Tristan Boutros Chief Technology Officer - Variety - August 14th, 2017
- This Technology Could Stop the World's Deadliest Animal - Mother Jones - August 14th, 2017
- Technology Speeds Up Timeline on Quarterly Close - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Trump Administration to Begin Probe of Alleged Chinese Technology Theft - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- 'Blockchain technology will change the world': Fidelity Labs SVP - CNBC - August 13th, 2017
- Victoria Teo, Technology Field, Sustainability, and the Roman Goddess - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- Technology migrations are more painful, and cloud isn't making them any easier - ZDNet - August 13th, 2017
- The fictitious movie technology we wish was real - CNET - August 13th, 2017
- Synchronous ledger technology (aka blockchain): The companies to watch - ZDNet - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists create world's first mutant ants with gene editing technology - Fox News - August 11th, 2017
- AWS just proved why standards drive technology platforms - TechCrunch - August 10th, 2017
- These Technology Index Funds Are Crushing It in 2017 - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2017
- Despite Proven Technology, Attempts To Make Table Saws Safer Drag On - NPR - August 10th, 2017
- 4 Best Technology Mutual Funds With Low Expense Ratios - Seeking Alpha - August 10th, 2017
- Mass market hopes for battery-free cell phone technology - Reuters - August 10th, 2017
- CB&I selling technology business, suspending dividend - Chron.com - August 10th, 2017
- Why SMBs Should Opt for Best-of-Breed Marketing Technology - eMarketer - August 9th, 2017
- Mazda says it has made a long-awaited breakthrough in engine technology - Ars Technica - August 9th, 2017
- Clyde Space to build cubesats for Audacy technology demonstration - SpaceNews - August 9th, 2017
- Elon Musk's Boring Company to use Tesla's technology for its tunnel project under LA - Electrek - August 9th, 2017
- DXC Technology posts $245m EBIT in first quarter since merger - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- 'Breakthrough' microchip technology helps heal wounds, nerves and organ damage - The Independent - August 9th, 2017
- Keeping up with technology - The Sun Daily - August 8th, 2017
- Google fires employee who wrote memo about women in technology jobs - The Boston Globe - August 8th, 2017
- Apple Needs Micron Technology - Seeking Alpha - August 8th, 2017
- SoftBank adding technology ambitions, with ARM, robotics - ABC News - August 8th, 2017
- Police looking for multiple suspects following Northwest Side shooting - WOAI - August 8th, 2017
- "Technology should look like something in your grandmother's room" says Oki Sato - Dezeen - August 8th, 2017
- Victim of 9/11 identified after 16 years using new DNA technology - The Independent - August 8th, 2017
- Newer traffic technology designed to cut back on wait time and accidents - KSFY - August 8th, 2017
- This insanely advanced technology could power a future colony on Mars. - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- India team helps IBM create technology to battle hackers - The Hindu - August 6th, 2017
- School Crossings: 1:1 technology explained - Chippewa Herald - August 6th, 2017