Sixty-seven planned rallies in 36 states that were meant to attract members of the so-called alt-right and other racist groups are moving online after a free speech rally on Saturday in Boston attended by white supremacists was drowned out by demonstrators.
ACT for America is deeply saddened that in todays divisive climate, citizens cannot peacefully express their opinion without risk of physical harm from terror groups domestic and international, reads a statement from the anti-Islamic group behind the rallies, which were meant to begin September 9.
Instead, a Day of ACTion will be conducted through online and other media, ACT said, but it did not detail what shape that would take.
Keep up with this story and more by subscribing now
A demonstrator holds a U.S. flag in front of white supremacy flags and banners as self-proclaimed white nationalists and members of the “alt-right” gather for what they called a Freedom of Speech rally at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., June 25. Jim Bourg/Reuters
The group accuses extremist individuals and groups inspired by the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) as well as anti-fascists, neo-Nazis and the KKK of creating security issues at similar free speech events this month.
In recent weeks, extremist and radical organizations in the United States and abroad have overrun peaceful events in order to advance their own agendas, and in many cases, violence has been the result, the group said. Protests against neo-Nazis were held in Germany last week.
Tens of thousands of anti-racist demonstrators also marched in Boston Saturday, dwarfing the number of alt-right members who gathered to express their views in Boston Common. The alt-right label was coined by white nationalist Richard Spencer and acts as an umbrella term for white supremacists, conspiracy theorists and misogynists.
The counterprotest was largely peaceful and followed a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, that turned violent the week before. In Charlottesville, one counterprotester was killed and 19 others injured when police said a right-wing activist drove his car into a group of pedestrians. Anti-fascist groups in Charlottesville also pepper-sprayed and beat white supremacists.
Related: U.S. authorities consider shutting down hard-right rallies after Charlottesville
The ACT for America statement was first given to the hard-right website Breitbart. The sites executive chairman, former White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon, has called the outlet a platform for the alt-right.
Two hate group watchdogs, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) and Anti-Defamation League (ADL), identify ACT for America as the largest anti-Muslim group in the U.S. ACT propagates the hateful conspiracy theory that Muslims are infiltrating U.S. institutions in order to impose Sharia law, according to the ADL.
In June, ACT organized simultaneous March Against Shariah events throughout the U.S. that attracted armed militia groups, white nationalists and other members of the alt-right, including the Blood and soil fascist group Vanguard America and white nationalists Identity Evropa.
Shariah law in Europe and North America refers mainly to an Islamic family law court system set up for religious adherents that can be used to mediate and settle disputes. Many hard-right Americans see the system as encroaching on the traditional European court systems jurisdiction. Since 2010, 15 anti-Sharia bills have been passed in various states. A total of 42 have been tabled across the U.S.
ACT for Americas membership is patriotic citizens whose only goal is to celebrate Americas values and peacefully express their views regarding national security, according to group, which claims to have 750,000 members.
In 2007, the groups founder,Brigitte Gabriel, saidat the Department of Defenses Joint Forces Staff College that any practicing Muslim who believes the word of the Koran to be the word of Allah…who goes to mosque and prays every Friday, who prays five times a daythis practicing Muslim, who believes in the teachings of the Koran, cannot be a loyal citizen of the United States. She has made a number of other anti-Islamic statements.
Despite these statements, ACT says that any organizations or individuals advocating violence or hatred towardanyone based on race, religion, or affiliation are not welcome at ACT for America events, or in the organization.
The groups online day of action is planned for September 9.
See the original post here:
Alt-Right ‘America First’ Rallies Move Online After Boston ‘Free Speech’ Protest Is Overrun – Newsweek
- Is Free Speech an Absolute Right, or Does Context Matter? - New York Times - August 25th, 2017
- UC Berkeley tries to reclaim its free speech legacy - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Unlikely Allies Join Fight To Protect Free Speech On The Internet - NPR - August 25th, 2017
- 73% Say Freedom of Speech Worth Dying For - Rasmussen Reports - August 25th, 2017
- Poll: 85 Percent Say Freedom of Speech More Important Than Not ... - Breitbart News - August 25th, 2017
- When 'free speech' becomes a political weapon - Washington Post - August 22nd, 2017
- A free-speech rally, minus the free speech - The Boston Globe - August 22nd, 2017
- Freedom of speech is for all - The Register-Guard - August 22nd, 2017
- The Fight Over Free Speech Online - The New Yorker - August 22nd, 2017
- Free Speech: The Left Moves In for the Kill - PJ Media - August 22nd, 2017
- Why Even Nazis Deserve Free Speech - POLITICO Magazine - August 20th, 2017
- So, just how guaranteed is your freedom of speech online? - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- Our View: With freedom of speech comes great responsibility - HollandSentinel.com - August 20th, 2017
- Is hate speech protected by American law? Quartz - Quartz - August 20th, 2017
- Fighting Neo-Nazis and the Future of Free Expression - EFF - August 18th, 2017
- Free Speech and Assembly in Hong Kong - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Free speech comes at a price - Spectrum News - August 16th, 2017
- Strange bedfellows: The ACLU, free speech and Neo-Nazis - ABC News - August 16th, 2017
- Free speech and White Supremacy at Texas A & M (and elsewhere) - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- College Responds To Hosting Panel On Free Speech By Canceling It - The Daily Caller - August 16th, 2017
- Q&A: Experts break down Freedom of Speech, what it means - KCRA Sacramento - August 15th, 2017
- Illinois' abortion notification law harms free speech - Chicago Tribune - August 11th, 2017
- Free-speech rights don't apply in the American workplace, as Google demonstrates - Quartz - August 9th, 2017
- SMU Student Groups: Moving The 9/11 Memorial Restricts Freedom of Speech - Texas Monthly - August 9th, 2017
- The War on Free Speech Turns Further Left - Capital Research Center - Capital Research Center - August 9th, 2017
- Google's Free Speech & Diversity But | National Review - National Review - August 8th, 2017
- Is the Israel Anti-Boycott Act an infringement of free speech? - The Jerusalem Post mobile website - August 6th, 2017
- Anti-BDS Bill Does Much Worse Than Threaten Free Speech The ... - Forward - August 6th, 2017
- Liberals intent on eliminating free speech - New Castle News - August 4th, 2017
- Nick in the AM: National free-speech tempest hits Galesburg college - Peoria Journal Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Direct, indirect attack being made on freedom of speech: Gopalkrishna Gandhi - Economic Times - August 3rd, 2017
- North Carolina Campus Free-Speech Act: First Goldwater-Based Law - National Review - August 1st, 2017
- Letter to the Editor: Johnson County Sheriff's Office protects free speech - The Daily Iowan - July 31st, 2017
- Hassan should support freedom of speech - Seacoastonline.com - July 31st, 2017
- India has failed Taslima Nasreen yet again: Freedom of speech is still a victim as govt, police pass the buck - Firstpost - July 31st, 2017
- Soy milk is at the epicenter of a global free-speech debate - Quartz - July 30th, 2017
- Merkel, Germany, the Media and Free Speech - National Review - July 30th, 2017
- Who should police free speech on college campuses? Congress wants to know - USA TODAY - July 30th, 2017
- 'It's a Massive Assault on Free Speech': Australian Leaders React to Proposed 'Jesus Ban' in Schools - CBN News - July 29th, 2017
- Ben Shapiro and Adam Carolla Tell Congress the Truth About Free Speech - National Review - July 28th, 2017
- 'Controversy, not artistry': How the media covers Arab art - Deutsche Welle - July 28th, 2017
- The John Roberts court: Champion of free speech - Chicago Tribune - July 26th, 2017
- How Does a Chinese Sex Expert Become a Free Speech Advocate ... - The Diplomat - July 26th, 2017
- The right to be forgotten issue gives Trump a chance to use America First for a good cause: Freedom of speech - American Enterprise Institute - July 26th, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Freedom of speech never more valuable - Holmes County Times Advertiser - July 25th, 2017
- Freedom of Speech: Atheist Richard Dawkins Pulled From Berkeley Radio Station over remarks against Islam - Newsweek - July 25th, 2017
- Arch Linux host cites freedom of speech defense, after using offensive domain name - Neowin - July 25th, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Freedom of speech never more valuable - The Northwest Florida Daily News - July 24th, 2017
- Letter: Lesko shows disdain for citizens' freedom of speech - Arizona Daily Star - July 22nd, 2017
- Minnesota city eliminates free speech zone at veterans park, blocking satanic monument - Washington Times - July 21st, 2017
- Berkeley free-speech fight flares up again over Ben Shapiro - The ... - Washington Post - July 20th, 2017
- Letter: What freedom of speech truly is - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - July 20th, 2017
- What Liu Xiaobo's Grisly Prison Death Tells Us About Free Speech in Xi's China - Newsweek - July 19th, 2017
- Michigan Students Object to Campus Free Speech Bill - Townhall - July 19th, 2017
- Campus free speech bills: Restrict or protect rights? - The Detroit News - July 18th, 2017
- Free Speech 2017 At War With the Framers of 1787 - American Spectator - July 18th, 2017
- The latest idiotic attack on free speech: Opinions as violence - Washington Examiner - July 18th, 2017
- Satanic memorial sparks free speech debate in Minnesota city - Fox News - July 17th, 2017
- Column: The manufactured free speech crisis - The Detroit News - July 17th, 2017
- Verify: When does free speech become harassment? - KREM.com - July 14th, 2017
- Is Advertising Free Speech? - The American Conservative - July 13th, 2017
- Did Carl Paladino engage in protected free speech? - Buffalo Business First - July 12th, 2017
- University Of Michigan Considers Free Speech Protection Bills - The Daily Caller - July 11th, 2017
- What Freedom of Speech Looked Like at Washington's Freedom of Speech Rallies - Accuracy In Media (blog) - July 10th, 2017
- NYT Columnist Lindy West Debuts With Clueless Rant Against Free Speech - The Federalist - July 8th, 2017
- Freedom of speech and the press protected - Grand Island Independent - July 8th, 2017
- Q&A: Free Speech 101 - Traer Star-Clipper - July 7th, 2017
- Transphobic Freedom Of Speech Bus Wrapped In Rainbow Flag: Gay People Are Not What You Fear - NewNowNext - July 5th, 2017
- A State Steps Up to Protect Campus Free Speech - National Review - July 5th, 2017
- Column: UM paper should support free speech - Detroit News - The Detroit News - July 5th, 2017
- Freedom Of Speech Reigns At The Ancient And Horribles Parade - Rhode Island Public Radio - July 5th, 2017
- From Lincoln to LeBron, freedom of speech defeats perspective - Richland Source - July 5th, 2017
- Facebook fights US gag order that it says chills free speech - Reuters - July 4th, 2017
- We celebrate America's commitment to free speech - Orlando Sentinel - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Let free speech ring on this Independence Day - Albuquerque Journal - July 4th, 2017
- Top Countries with most Freedom of Speech - WhichCountry - July 3rd, 2017
- Freedom of speech does mean freedom from consequences ... - July 3rd, 2017
- The First Amendment and Limits on American Freedom of Speech - July 3rd, 2017
- Freedom of Speech Analysis and Significance - July 3rd, 2017
- Free speech is only for conservatives - Daily Kos - July 3rd, 2017