Time for dinner, Charlie!
Charlie is texting on his phone. Or maybe its one of those computer games again. Either way, hes not paying attention.
Is this just the typical nuisance? Or is it something worse? Is Charlie actually addicted to his cellphone?
Lisa Strohman, a clinical psychologist and technology wellness specialist, says many kids really are addicted to their phones, their tablets, their technology. She spoke about the issue earlier this summer at the annual conference of the National Association of Secondary School Principals in Philadelphia.
Strohman, the author of Unplug: Raising Kids in a Technology-Addicted World, also is the director of the Technology Wellness Center in Scottsdale, Ariz., which she cofounded with Melissa Westendorf. The women met while they were in the Drexel and Villanova joint degree program in law and psychology. Strohman also founded Digital Citizen Academy, which provides programs to educate children, parents, and educators about the safe use of technology.
Here are some of Strohmans thoughts.
I understand that cellphone use in schools was a big topic at the recent conference. Most schools, because of parental pressure, allow students to bring cellphones on campus. A large part of that is due to fear, based on the shootings that have happened and were highly publicized. Parents want to know they can get ahold of their children.
But were at a tipping point. A lot of the schools want to invest in technology but its creating more distractions, more disruptions, more social and emotional issues on campuses. Weve given these kids devices that connect them to the world, so thats what theyre doing. But now theyre not paying attention to the teacher.
Lisa Strohman, a clinical psychologist and technology wellness specialist.
Now that school is about to begin, how can a parent wean a child off of technology if its been overused during the summer? For a parent, its about setting a clear back-to-school message. We get new pencils, new paper, and we have new rules for technology. It should be as normal as doing those other things. You set the expectations ahead of time.
One of the things parents dont know is that scientific research now shows that when you use technology continuously anything over a four-hour period it starts to rewire the brain and causes the pleasure center to be altered. If you put an image of the brain of a technology-addicted youth next to one of a youth addicted to a substance, such as drugs or alcohol, you cant tell them apart.
We suggest a tech-free Tuesday, where kids learn they can take a day off from technology. Or you can set specific times around dinner and lunch when phones should be off. In the home, modeling is important. Dont be on technology all the time yourself.
How do you know if your child is following the guidelines youve set? Every internet service provider has programs that can help parents monitor; it allows them to read text messages or shut down data when theyre in school. Typically, these are free resources. There also are products that parents can buy. But I always say, start with what youre already paying for.
How do you know if your child is showing signs of a technology addiction? The easiest way to tell is if theres a mood shift. If you see a depressed mood, withdrawal, isolation, irritability. I realize Im pretty much describing every teenager in America. My recommendation is to ask kids to hand over their phones at night. Dont let them sleep with their devices. If theyre unable to part with them or leave them off for a specific amount of time, thats a sign.
The average age that kids in the U.S. are getting their first devices is now about 7 years old. Consider that Steve Jobs didnt let his kids use iPads. Bill Gates didnt give his kids cellphones until they were 14. The guys developing the technology industry understand.
If you have a child with a family genetic disposition for addiction, and you hand them a cellphone that potentially activates this really robust dopamine reward system, then when they get to the age when drugs and alcohol are accessible, theyll be at higher risk.
We have to start teaching our children balance. Theres online life and offline life.
What are other potential dangers of addiction or overuse? When you tap into the addiction center of the brain, theres increased potential for suicide, anxiety, and depression. And theres a loss of academic potential. Technology is causing kids to have what some people call technology-acquired Attention Deficit Disorder.
Theyre sending naked pictures of each other and then getting suspended. How far behind are they when they come back? Its a slippery slope. Were just getting the data on this now. What were seeing is that kids are starting to lose their way, based on one or two bad decisions they make online.
And we all know about the dangers of sexual predators online.As parents, we cant block every site. But we have to understand that the more unrestricted access your child has to the internet, the higher the risks.
What is Digital Citizen Academy and how do you see it combating technology addiction? It provides education and prevention programs for schools K-12, teaching digital citizenship, about things such as cyberbullying and plagiarism. The curriculum weve developed is age appropriate and theres also a segment for educators and parents. Educators working in concert with the parents is the best approach for protecting and preparing kids.
Were finding that in the schools using the programs, were reducing technology infractions significantly. Kids ultimately want to do the right thing. If you start early, theyll make better choices. A lot of parents are overwhelmed, but we know that it works. If we make changes now, it doesnt have to be as overwhelming and scary.
Published: August 18, 2017 3:01 AM EDT
We recently asked you to support our journalism. The response, in a word, is heartening. You have encouraged us in our mission to provide quality news and watchdog journalism. Some of you have even followed through with subscriptions, which is especially gratifying. Our role as an independent, fact-based news organization has never been clearer. And our promise to you is that we will always strive to provide indispensable journalism to our community. Subscriptions are available for home delivery of the print edition and for a digital replica viewable on your mobile device or computer. Subscriptions start as low as 25 per day. We're thankful for your support in every way.
The rest is here:
- Live Caption, Googles automatic captioning technology, is now available on Pixel 4 - TechCrunch - October 16th, 2019
- Drones, apps and smart lockers: The technology transforming healthcare in Africa - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Mind-reading technology is everyone's next big security nightmare - ZDNet - October 16th, 2019
- The 7 Biggest Technology Trends That Will Transform Telecoms In 2020 - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Role Of Technology In The Evolution Of Communication - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Revolutionary Impact Of Immersive Technology On Education - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Super-Resolution Imaging Technologies in Life Science | 2019-2024 Technology Highlights and Market Outlook - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schools should take the occasional break from technology - here's why - Study International News - October 16th, 2019
- Finding a balance between security and responsive technology - ITProPortal - October 16th, 2019
- NBN chief blames Australia's poor speed rating on 'unrepresentative' data - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- 5 smart home technology trends to keep your eye on in 2019 - Silicon Canals - October 16th, 2019
- Technology has changed the world, the world has changed technology - The Upcoming - October 16th, 2019
- Technology sparks dramatic rise in scams reported to the Lincoln Police Dept. - 1011now - October 16th, 2019
- Technology is redefining that client-financial advisor relationship - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- APPIX Officially Launches Incredible Broadcast Technology That Creates Immersive Experiences And Audience Engagement At Concerts And Events - MarTech... - October 16th, 2019
- Gathr Lab Launches New Technology Set to Break the Black-Box Approach and Empower Marketers to Understand, Reach and Grow Their Audiences - Business... - October 16th, 2019
- Integrating the Science of How We Learn into Education Technology - Harvard Business Review - October 16th, 2019
- Google And Levis Partner Up To Bring Us Wearable Technology - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- UK vulnerable to malicious meddling in election, warns study - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Food Science and Technology job with BNU-HKBU UNITED INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | 183631 - Times... - October 16th, 2019
- Digital welfare state: big tech allowed to target and surveil the poor, UN is warned - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- South Korean startups gather momentum - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Technology killing off corporate America: Average life span of companies under 20 years - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Automated technology isn't going anywhere and it's changing ... - USA TODAY - August 25th, 2017
- AMD Technology Falls Short... Really? - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2017
- Morgan Stanley: This next big technology trend could start the 'fourth industrial revolution' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Mortgage technology provider Blend raised another $100 million led by Greylock - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Philips to build health technology center in Tennessee - ABC News - August 25th, 2017
- Melinda Gates: I spent my career in technology. I wasn't prepared for ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Information technology can help build peace. This is how. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Is Set to Disrupt Every Industry--and Music Is Next - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Campus police using technology to solve and prevent crimes - The Rolla Daily News - August 22nd, 2017
- 3 ways blockchain technology will change how we game - VentureBeat - August 20th, 2017
- Kenyan Girls Use Technology to Combat Genital Cutting - Voice of America - August 20th, 2017
- Taking a stand on Charlottesville, technology companies seek balance with free speech - The Independent - August 20th, 2017
- Technology and the New Republic just never seemed to click - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Arizona edges to front of states eyeing blockchain technology - Arizona Daily Star - August 18th, 2017
- How technology is about to transform the way we save cash forever - Telegraph.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- Tester talks technology with local business leaders - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - August 18th, 2017
- Opinion: This technology shift opens up new possibilities for iPhones, Androids and virtual reality - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- The glow of technology has a dark side - Houston Chronicle - August 16th, 2017
- How Technology is Now Empowering Educators - Inc.com - August 15th, 2017
- How Technology Might Get Out of Control - Bloomberg - August 15th, 2017
- Trump administration goes after China over intellectual property, advanced technology - Washington Post - August 15th, 2017
- Building technology in Oklahoma, shipping all over the world - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- OKC startup pioneers technology that prevents accidental IV disconnects for hospital patients - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- Modernizing Government Technology Act to get second path to passage in Senate NDAA - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 14th, 2017
- ASCAP Names Tristan Boutros Chief Technology Officer - Variety - August 14th, 2017
- This Technology Could Stop the World's Deadliest Animal - Mother Jones - August 14th, 2017
- Technology Speeds Up Timeline on Quarterly Close - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Trump Administration to Begin Probe of Alleged Chinese Technology Theft - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- 'Blockchain technology will change the world': Fidelity Labs SVP - CNBC - August 13th, 2017
- Victoria Teo, Technology Field, Sustainability, and the Roman Goddess - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- Technology migrations are more painful, and cloud isn't making them any easier - ZDNet - August 13th, 2017
- The fictitious movie technology we wish was real - CNET - August 13th, 2017
- Synchronous ledger technology (aka blockchain): The companies to watch - ZDNet - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists create world's first mutant ants with gene editing technology - Fox News - August 11th, 2017
- AWS just proved why standards drive technology platforms - TechCrunch - August 10th, 2017
- These Technology Index Funds Are Crushing It in 2017 - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2017
- Despite Proven Technology, Attempts To Make Table Saws Safer Drag On - NPR - August 10th, 2017
- 4 Best Technology Mutual Funds With Low Expense Ratios - Seeking Alpha - August 10th, 2017
- Mass market hopes for battery-free cell phone technology - Reuters - August 10th, 2017
- CB&I selling technology business, suspending dividend - Chron.com - August 10th, 2017
- Why SMBs Should Opt for Best-of-Breed Marketing Technology - eMarketer - August 9th, 2017
- Mazda says it has made a long-awaited breakthrough in engine technology - Ars Technica - August 9th, 2017
- Clyde Space to build cubesats for Audacy technology demonstration - SpaceNews - August 9th, 2017
- Elon Musk's Boring Company to use Tesla's technology for its tunnel project under LA - Electrek - August 9th, 2017
- DXC Technology posts $245m EBIT in first quarter since merger - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- 'Breakthrough' microchip technology helps heal wounds, nerves and organ damage - The Independent - August 9th, 2017
- Keeping up with technology - The Sun Daily - August 8th, 2017
- Google fires employee who wrote memo about women in technology jobs - The Boston Globe - August 8th, 2017
- Apple Needs Micron Technology - Seeking Alpha - August 8th, 2017
- SoftBank adding technology ambitions, with ARM, robotics - ABC News - August 8th, 2017
- Police looking for multiple suspects following Northwest Side shooting - WOAI - August 8th, 2017
- "Technology should look like something in your grandmother's room" says Oki Sato - Dezeen - August 8th, 2017
- Victim of 9/11 identified after 16 years using new DNA technology - The Independent - August 8th, 2017
- Newer traffic technology designed to cut back on wait time and accidents - KSFY - August 8th, 2017
- This insanely advanced technology could power a future colony on Mars. - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- India team helps IBM create technology to battle hackers - The Hindu - August 6th, 2017
- School Crossings: 1:1 technology explained - Chippewa Herald - August 6th, 2017