Like many people these days I’ve been thinking about the Occupy Wall Street movement. My mind’s been spinning as I try to figure out what it’s all about and what the movement might actually be capable of achieving. My thinking in these early days is equal parts hopefulness to outright cynicism. As I mentioned in a tweet earlier today, corporatism survived 60 years of communist onslaught; it should have no problem weathering this storm.
Or perhaps I’m overstating the whole thing. Maybe it’s just about applying fixes to a system that’s gone a bit haywire. And if that’s the case, then great. I wish the protesters the best of luck.
But part of my concern is that, aside from some mild reforms that may come out of all this, the overriding and highly globalized capitalist system isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. It’s pretty entrenched and not easily rocked. The 99% are going to have to get comfortable with being a part of the disenfranchised majority for some time to come. This isn’t like the situation in the Middle East; there’s not going to be an Arab Spring on this side of the ocean any time soon.
Indeed, while there’s no question that Occupy Wall Street was inspired by the Arab Spring, there’s significant discrepancy in the underlying causes of these two social movements.
The situation in the West stands in stark contrast to recent events in the Middle East in which a number of countries were simply working to overthrow authoritarian regimes and get to democracy in the first place. The Middle East is currently struggling through puberty. It’s a part of the world that’s still coming to grips with modernity and socio-economic globalization. Religious fundamentalism threatens at every corner while Western influences complicate things by working to further their own interests in a region rich with oil.
And that’s another aspect that differs from Occupy Wall Street. New York City protesters are railing against the very forces who helped the Arab Spring along. The success of the Arab Spring was and continues to be driven by the support of NATO and other Western benefactors. The West is diligently working to secure the region and prevent the onset of fundamentalist regimes—and to ensure easy access to oil. All the while claiming that it’s working to instil democracy. It’s no co-incidence that NATO suddenly cared about the situation in Libya while other oil-poor regions of Africa and the Middle East continued to burn. The whole charade is unabashedly obvious.
Without question, AdBusters—the Canadian activist group that kick-started Occupy Wall Street—took inspiration from the events in the Middle East, particularly the Tahir Square protests in Cairo. In copycat manner, AdBusters organized a peaceful occupation of Wall Street to protest the current U.S. political leadership and its failure to prevent or address the global financial crisis. The movement’s auspices have expanded significantly from that starting point and now includes such things as taxing the rich, raising taxes on corporations, ending corporate welfare and personhood status, support for trade unionism, and protecting Medicare and Social Security. Occupy Wall Street, because of its decentralized nature, has become a Rorschach test for lefties who are busily projecting their own hopes and demands onto the movement.
At the most basic level, Occupy Wall Street is a reaction to a whole host of socio-economic problems and the glaringly obvious corruption and indifference of both Wall Street traders and the politicians who back them. At a more conceptual level, however, Occupy Wall Street is a necessary manifestation that has been brought about by two fundamental short-comings of the political system in the United States.
First, the U.S. has no bona fide left wing political presence. It’s a country in which the word socialism is routinely spat out as a pejorative. Contrast that with the political situation in Canada in which the country’s official opposition, the New Democratic Party, is overtly socialist. And that’s not to mention the political climate in Europe and elsewhere in which left wing parties carry much more clout in the political spectrum. Now, I’m not suggesting that left wing parties are the answer to America’s woes; but what I am suggesting is that Americans have no political outlet to express their left-of-center demands and desires. As a result, lefties (and even some libertarians and anarchists) have had no choice but to rally around this protest movement in a sheer act of catharsis.
Second, and very much related to the first, the United States is a two party corporatocracy in which the Democrats and Republicans merely trade-off every four years or so. Democracy in the truest sense only exists in the U.S. at a very micro or local scale, while the overarching political structure (or superstructure to borrow a Marxist term), essentially works to serve and further corporate interests. The alienating effect of this two-party teeter-totter has reached a kind of boiling point, particularly now as America is mired in a seemingly endless recession and as Americans have been inspired by social protest movements overseas.
At the same time, Occupy Wall Street can also been as a mirror of the Tea Party Movement—another political spasm that’s emerged on account of the rigid two party system. The left and right are clearly polarizing in the United States. The only question is whether or not they can pull the Democrats and Republicans along with them. It doesn’t appear that this will be the case.
It’s difficult to predict what consequences, if any, these two movements will have on the political makeup of the U.S. and whether or not they’ll be able to see their demands come to fruition.
Definitely interesting times.
- Types of transhuman technologies - June 16th, 2013
- Transhuman - "Uprising" - Video - June 9th, 2013
- TechnoCalyps Part I TransHuman - Video - June 7th, 2013
- Transhuman 2 - Video - June 7th, 2013
- BE TRANSHUMAN (JADILAH MANUSIA DIATAS RATA-RATA) - Video - June 7th, 2013
- Sonic China Doll - Techno Transhuman (Sweat Shop Band Rehearsal) - Video - June 6th, 2013
- Shock Rx -TransHuman (original mix) Filthy Dubstep 2013 - Video - June 4th, 2013
- TIYANAK - "Transhuman" [Trapstep] - Video - June 4th, 2013
- Transhuman Transformation - Video - June 4th, 2013
- MUST SEE! Proof Biological Tracking in Consumer Goods..Heavy Metals, Transhumanism, Morgellons - You - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Transhuman @ Falmouth Rugby Club (18/05/2013) - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Postgenderism - The Genetic Singularity - posthuman/transhuman 1 - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Postgenderism - The Genetic Singularity - posthuman/transhuman 2 - Video - May 20th, 2013
- We Are Transhuman - H+ Magazine - May 11th, 2013
- Transhuman Album cover artwork - DOSE-productions - May 4th, 2013
- The Victories: Transhuman #1: Review (Comic) | Front Towards Gamer - May 4th, 2013
- Comic Review: The Victories: Transhuman #1 | Geeks of Doom - May 4th, 2013
- Transhuman Kickstarter Breaks Fourth Stretch Goal | Cardboard ... - May 3rd, 2013
- Transhuman Reveals New Album Art - Metal Underground.com - May 3rd, 2013
- Eclipse Phase – “Transhuman: The Eclipse Phase Player's Guide ... - April 29th, 2013
- Transhuman Shoots New Music Video - Metal Underground.com - April 29th, 2013
- Roleplayers Chronicle » Transhuman Eclipse Phase Player's Guide ... - April 27th, 2013
- The Transhuman Kickstarter has Started | Cardboard Castle - April 27th, 2013
- Grinders wanted for Transhuman Religion Study - Grinding - April 27th, 2013
- Capitalism is Dead. Long Live Transhumanism. - H+ Magazine - April 24th, 2013
- The Terence Mckenna OmniBus 2012 - 10_12 - The Transhuman Agenda - Video - April 21st, 2013
- "A Better Apocalypse: Ancient Eschatology for a Transhuman World ... - April 17th, 2013
- amor mundi: More on Transhuman Eugenics, Morphological ... - March 18th, 2013
- Transhuman Streaming New Single - Metal Underground.com - March 17th, 2013
- The Hidden Redcoat - [Warframe] Look at the Amphis and Transhuman Tenno - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- Fudge Transhuman Space - Loic Prot - Free SF Reader - March 2nd, 2013
- Nietzsche's Posthuman, Nietzsche's Transhuman: Transhumanism ... - March 2nd, 2013
- A TRANSHUMAN SOCIETY THE ULTIMATE NWO ALIEN AGENDA - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Transhuman Superman Hybrid Car Conspiracy - Video - February 25th, 2013
- Expanding Mind – Transhuman Fictions – 02/24/13 - The ANOMALY ... - February 25th, 2013
- On Bostrom, “Transhumanist Values” | English 516: Computers and ... - February 21st, 2013
- Embracing Our Transhuman Future - February 15th, 2013
- Transhuman guitar jam - Video - February 13th, 2013
- Transhuman pre-production - Video - February 13th, 2013
- Waking the Dreamer Transhuman, Book 1 (Unabridged) Audiobook Review - Video - February 10th, 2013
- Jungle Fiction - Transhuman (FOOL Remix) - Video - February 6th, 2013
- Transhuman Wtf (Instrumental Mix) - Video - February 5th, 2013
- Transhuman Transhuman Theme (Original Mix) - Video - February 5th, 2013
- Transhuman Wtf (Original Mix) - Video - February 5th, 2013
- Transhumanism and Disability by Elizabeth Synclair - FurCon 2013 - Video - January 31st, 2013
- Insomnia Sleep Video Cure - Transhuman Trance Singularity (subtle noise ambiance) - Video - January 30th, 2013
- Musing Transhuman - Video - January 24th, 2013
- To The Religious Adherents of Transhuman Techno-Psychopathy - Video - January 24th, 2013
- VR: Cyberpunk vs Shadowrun vs ... Transhuman! - Video - January 18th, 2013
- Info Spread, Destiny Genes, Spying TransHumanism, RFID, Sandy Lies, Gun Plans, Another DHS Insider - Video - January 12th, 2013
- Transhuman V2 - Video - January 11th, 2013
- FRACTAL ARTIFACT - Transhuman - Video - January 5th, 2013
- The Terence Mckenna OmniBus 2012 - 10/12 - "The Transhuman Agenda" - Video - December 28th, 2012
- Kurt Bachman Responds to Facebook Comments - 20121223 - Video - December 28th, 2012
- Compilation of Space Marine mayhem for 40K fans - December 28th, 2012
- Transhuman Perfection: The Eradication of Disability by Transhuman Technologies - Video - December 25th, 2012
- Waking the Dreamer Transhuman, Book 1 (Unabridged) Audiobook - Video - December 25th, 2012
- Transhumanism : Hidden History and Agenda - Video - December 25th, 2012
- Will the Willy Wonka of technology will help Google usher in a sci-fi future? - December 21st, 2012
- HALF-LIFE 2 Episode 2 - [ part 10 ] - Epic Fail! - Video - December 20th, 2012
- Nexus imagines a world that is posthuman, not transhuman - December 17th, 2012
- Waking the Dreamer Transhuman, Book 1 (Unabridged) Audio Book - Video - December 16th, 2012
- [Metal/Vocal] Transhuman Cendrillon - The Last To Fall - Video - December 9th, 2012
- Half-Life_2_Episode_One_trailer - Video - December 5th, 2012
- Electronic brain hacks are turning insects into robotic helpers - December 5th, 2012
- Gustav Metzger: 'Destroy, and you create' - December 4th, 2012
- Underrated Melodic Death Metal - Part 49 [HD] - Video - November 30th, 2012
- The Terence Mckenna OmniBus 2012 - 10_12 - _The Transhuman Agenda - Video - November 30th, 2012
- |/ Gulf war III - Born transhuman - Video - November 28th, 2012
- VJ Soham Sarkar @ Hennessy artistry City Bar, Bangalore - Video - November 26th, 2012
- HALF-LIFE 2 Episode 1 - [ part 9 ] - Screenshot Buddy! - Video - November 20th, 2012
- Half-Life 2 RolePlay Trailer | Purified Gaming - Video - November 20th, 2012
- Delicious Demon - Are You a Transhuman? (Thursty Moore Remix) - Video - November 16th, 2012
- The Pandoran Age Chronicles. Agent Sulla: Walking after midnight. HD - Video - November 16th, 2012
- Teddy Implanting an RFID Chip into his Hand. - Video - November 16th, 2012
- King Arthur's Gold: The Indie Game Connoisseur - Video - November 16th, 2012
- My mix for: The Last To Fall by Transhuman Cendrillon - [Lyrics Video]-Melodic Power/Death Metal - Video - November 16th, 2012
- "The Last To Fall" By Transhuman Cendrillon - [Lyrics Video] - Melodic Power_Death Metal. - Video - November 12th, 2012
- Transhuman Cendrillon - "The Last to Fall" Official Lyric Video - Video - November 12th, 2012
- The Last To Fall - [Lyrics Video] [HD] - Video - November 12th, 2012