I tend to have a love/hate relationship with . The hate part, I’d say, stems from their often outlandish, sensationalistic and highly inappropriate campaigns.Their tactics often hint at a rather underdeveloped and unsophisticated approach to animal welfare. Can it truly be said that PETA has made a difference to animals?
Regardless, every once in a while PETA does something that makes me realize that I can’t stay mad at them for long, and this is one of those times: —and they’re using the 13th Amendment of the US Constitution to enforce their claim. According to the PETA website:
In the first case of its kind, PETA, three marine-mammal experts, and two former orca trainers are filing a lawsuit asking a federal court to declare that five wild-caught orcas forced to perform at SeaWorld are being held as slaves in violation of the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The filing—the first ever seeking to apply the 13th Amendment to nonhuman animals—names the five orcas as plaintiffs and also seeks their release to their natural habitats or seaside sanctuaries.
The suit is based on the plain text of the 13th Amendment, which prohibits the condition of slavery without reference to “person” or any particular class of victim. “Slavery is slavery, and it does not depend on the species of the slave any more than it depends on gender, race, or religion,” says general counsel to PETA, Jeffrey Kerr.
The five wild-captured orca plaintiffs are Tilikum and Katina (both confined at SeaWorld Orlando) and Kasatka, Corky, and Ulises (all three confined at SeaWorld San Diego).
“All five of these orcas were violently seized from the ocean and taken from their families as babies. They are denied freedom and everything else that is natural and important to them while kept in small concrete tanks and reduced to performing stupid tricks,” says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk. “The 13th Amendment prohibits slavery, and these orcas are, by definition, slaves.”
This is all sorts of awesome, particularly the language being used—namely the language of . I am absolutely on board with this suit. The orca whale, along with other cetaceans, are most certainly persons (see ). Furthermore, I’d say the same consideration should be given to other nonhuman persons, including elephants and all the great apes (which would have implications for zoos and circuses).
I’m also excited to see that the US Constitution is being interpreted and applied in this way. Because the 13th Amendment makes no mention of human persons per se, it can be assumed that all persons, regardless of species, should be included. Personally, I don’t think this is a trick of language or omission; I believe it’s within the spirit of the law.
And at the heart of the matter, of course, is the issue of animal exploitation—the suggestion that highly sapient and emotional creatures are being used as slaves. As I’ve written before (see ), these nonhuman animals are capable of exhibiting their discontent and dissatisfaction with their conditions—whether it be through their body language, disobedience, or the expression of sheer emotional defeat. That an animal rights group is working to protect their interests with an existing body of law is exciting. It’s exactly what we’re trying to do at the , which is to give these nonhuman persons the same legal protections that humans have.
Now all this said, PETA and company have their work cut out for them. Just because I agree with their interpretation of the Constitution doesn’t mean that the courts will. In fact, the courts will likely err on the side of prejudice and ignorance, and proclaim that PETA’s claim is not within the “spirit” of the Constitution, or some other unimaginative drivel like that.
Indeed, a quick scan of the media’s coverage of PETA’s lawsuit is discouraging. Most outlets are using disparaging language to describe PETA’s efforts and are lumping it in with their other “outrageous stunts” (see ).
It’s also obvious that the lucrative aquatic theme park industry will not go down without a fight. As highlighted in the documentary, , this is big business with global reach.
And regrettably, there is already a segment of the population that is taking great offence to this issue. Take the response of David Steinberg, a professor at the Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, who called the suit “patently, absolutely frivolous”:
The 13th Amendment abolished the abhorrent, despicable practice of the slavery of human beings. PETA is demeaning the integrity and humanity of people who were owned as slaves. That is outrageous.
Steinberg’s , that we shouldn’t recognize nonhuman persons as slaves because it would demean those whose ancestors were once held as slaves, is deeply problematic. It is this exact sentiment that must be addressed, combated, and ultimately destroyed if the supporters of this issue wish to succeed. Nothing is preventing the furthering of animal rights more than this idea—and it’s the same idea that has prevented the broadening of rights throughout human history. It’s the seemingly endless reprise of the situation in which the “in” group, for whatever reason, is reluctant to expand the circle of rights and include the “out” group because it would somehow lessen or threaten what it means to be in the “in” group. What it is is patent nonsense.
Steinberg’s comment is particularly pernicious for three reasons.
First, it’s the seductive and easy response—the one that appeals to most people’s conservative nature and their reluctance to think too deeply about instigating change. Most people don’t like to upset the apple cart.
Second, it represents the exact opposite of what would actually happen. Protecting and broadening the rights of minority groups can only increase the dignity and integrity of both those who grant them and those who would benefit from them. It’s what makes an enlightened and progressive society exactly that—it’s what endows our species with the integrity and humanity that Steinberg claims is under threat.
Third, the claim that some people might feel lessened or demeaned by the suggestion that some nonhuman persons are slaves still doesn’t make it right or invalid. People get offended all the time. We can’t let that stop the correct course of action. Taking offence to something, or feeling “demeaned” by a piece of legislation, is not the fault of the legislation. Rather, it’s the fault of the person allowing themselves to feel that way. It’s a kind of ““, which is not really ethics at all. Furthermore, granting rights to nonhuman persons would in no real or tangible way lessen what it means to be human. We’ll retain our humanity and our rights regardless of whether or not we grant them outside the species.
My suspicion is that the fear driving this sentiment is that . Well, to that I say: Too bad. Rights and protections need to be granted to those who both deserve and need them.
Best of luck to PETA as they move to push this law suit forward.
(3) PETA is accusing SeaWorld of enslaving orca whales
(4) nonhuman personhood
(5) What is a person?
(6) Putting an end to dolphin exploitation at aquatic theme parks
(7) Rights of Non-Human Persons Program
(8) TIME’s coverage
(9) The Cove
(11) yuck factor ethics
(12) we’d lose our exalted human place on top of the food chain
- Postgenderism - The Genetic Singularity - posthuman/transhuman 1 - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Postgenderism - The Genetic Singularity - posthuman/transhuman 2 - Video - May 20th, 2013
- We Are Transhuman - H+ Magazine - May 11th, 2013
- Transhuman Album cover artwork - DOSE-productions - May 4th, 2013
- The Victories: Transhuman #1: Review (Comic) | Front Towards Gamer - May 4th, 2013
- Comic Review: The Victories: Transhuman #1 | Geeks of Doom - May 4th, 2013
- Transhuman Kickstarter Breaks Fourth Stretch Goal | Cardboard ... - May 3rd, 2013
- Transhuman Reveals New Album Art - Metal Underground.com - May 3rd, 2013
- Eclipse Phase – “Transhuman: The Eclipse Phase Player's Guide ... - April 29th, 2013
- Transhuman Shoots New Music Video - Metal Underground.com - April 29th, 2013
- Roleplayers Chronicle » Transhuman Eclipse Phase Player's Guide ... - April 27th, 2013
- The Transhuman Kickstarter has Started | Cardboard Castle - April 27th, 2013
- Grinders wanted for Transhuman Religion Study - Grinding - April 27th, 2013
- Capitalism is Dead. Long Live Transhumanism. - H+ Magazine - April 24th, 2013
- The Terence Mckenna OmniBus 2012 - 10_12 - The Transhuman Agenda - Video - April 21st, 2013
- "A Better Apocalypse: Ancient Eschatology for a Transhuman World ... - April 17th, 2013
- amor mundi: More on Transhuman Eugenics, Morphological ... - March 18th, 2013
- Transhuman Streaming New Single - Metal Underground.com - March 17th, 2013
- The Hidden Redcoat - [Warframe] Look at the Amphis and Transhuman Tenno - Video - March 3rd, 2013
- Fudge Transhuman Space - Loic Prot - Free SF Reader - March 2nd, 2013
- Nietzsche's Posthuman, Nietzsche's Transhuman: Transhumanism ... - March 2nd, 2013
- A TRANSHUMAN SOCIETY THE ULTIMATE NWO ALIEN AGENDA - Video - February 28th, 2013
- Transhuman Superman Hybrid Car Conspiracy - Video - February 25th, 2013
- Expanding Mind – Transhuman Fictions – 02/24/13 - The ANOMALY ... - February 25th, 2013
- On Bostrom, “Transhumanist Values” | English 516: Computers and ... - February 21st, 2013
- Embracing Our Transhuman Future - February 15th, 2013
- Transhuman guitar jam - Video - February 13th, 2013
- Transhuman pre-production - Video - February 13th, 2013
- Waking the Dreamer Transhuman, Book 1 (Unabridged) Audiobook Review - Video - February 10th, 2013
- Jungle Fiction - Transhuman (FOOL Remix) - Video - February 6th, 2013
- Transhuman Wtf (Instrumental Mix) - Video - February 5th, 2013
- Transhuman Transhuman Theme (Original Mix) - Video - February 5th, 2013
- Transhuman Wtf (Original Mix) - Video - February 5th, 2013
- Transhumanism and Disability by Elizabeth Synclair - FurCon 2013 - Video - January 31st, 2013
- Insomnia Sleep Video Cure - Transhuman Trance Singularity (subtle noise ambiance) - Video - January 30th, 2013
- Musing Transhuman - Video - January 24th, 2013
- To The Religious Adherents of Transhuman Techno-Psychopathy - Video - January 24th, 2013
- VR: Cyberpunk vs Shadowrun vs ... Transhuman! - Video - January 18th, 2013
- Info Spread, Destiny Genes, Spying TransHumanism, RFID, Sandy Lies, Gun Plans, Another DHS Insider - Video - January 12th, 2013
- Transhuman V2 - Video - January 11th, 2013
- FRACTAL ARTIFACT - Transhuman - Video - January 5th, 2013
- The Terence Mckenna OmniBus 2012 - 10/12 - "The Transhuman Agenda" - Video - December 28th, 2012
- Kurt Bachman Responds to Facebook Comments - 20121223 - Video - December 28th, 2012
- Compilation of Space Marine mayhem for 40K fans - December 28th, 2012
- Transhuman Perfection: The Eradication of Disability by Transhuman Technologies - Video - December 25th, 2012
- Waking the Dreamer Transhuman, Book 1 (Unabridged) Audiobook - Video - December 25th, 2012
- Transhumanism : Hidden History and Agenda - Video - December 25th, 2012
- Will the Willy Wonka of technology will help Google usher in a sci-fi future? - December 21st, 2012
- HALF-LIFE 2 Episode 2 - [ part 10 ] - Epic Fail! - Video - December 20th, 2012
- Nexus imagines a world that is posthuman, not transhuman - December 17th, 2012
- Waking the Dreamer Transhuman, Book 1 (Unabridged) Audio Book - Video - December 16th, 2012
- [Metal/Vocal] Transhuman Cendrillon - The Last To Fall - Video - December 9th, 2012
- Half-Life_2_Episode_One_trailer - Video - December 5th, 2012
- Electronic brain hacks are turning insects into robotic helpers - December 5th, 2012
- Gustav Metzger: 'Destroy, and you create' - December 4th, 2012
- Underrated Melodic Death Metal - Part 49 [HD] - Video - November 30th, 2012
- The Terence Mckenna OmniBus 2012 - 10_12 - _The Transhuman Agenda - Video - November 30th, 2012
- |/ Gulf war III - Born transhuman - Video - November 28th, 2012
- VJ Soham Sarkar @ Hennessy artistry City Bar, Bangalore - Video - November 26th, 2012
- HALF-LIFE 2 Episode 1 - [ part 9 ] - Screenshot Buddy! - Video - November 20th, 2012
- Half-Life 2 RolePlay Trailer | Purified Gaming - Video - November 20th, 2012
- Delicious Demon - Are You a Transhuman? (Thursty Moore Remix) - Video - November 16th, 2012
- The Pandoran Age Chronicles. Agent Sulla: Walking after midnight. HD - Video - November 16th, 2012
- Teddy Implanting an RFID Chip into his Hand. - Video - November 16th, 2012
- King Arthur's Gold: The Indie Game Connoisseur - Video - November 16th, 2012
- My mix for: The Last To Fall by Transhuman Cendrillon - [Lyrics Video]-Melodic Power/Death Metal - Video - November 16th, 2012
- "The Last To Fall" By Transhuman Cendrillon - [Lyrics Video] - Melodic Power_Death Metal. - Video - November 12th, 2012
- Transhuman Cendrillon - "The Last to Fall" Official Lyric Video - Video - November 12th, 2012
- The Last To Fall - [Lyrics Video] [HD] - Video - November 12th, 2012
- The Last To Fall by Transhuman Cendrillon - Lyrics Video - Video - November 12th, 2012
- Transhuman Cendrillon - The Last To Fall - Video - November 12th, 2012
- king Arthur's gold quick play commentary part 2 - Video - November 10th, 2012
- TransHuman Chauvinists - Video - November 10th, 2012
- TRANSHUMAN - Video - November 10th, 2012
- Aaron Franz interviews Rebecca and Roman of Spectral Intelligence Solutions - January 11, 2012 - Video - November 10th, 2012
- The Last To Fall - [Lyrics Video] - Melodic Power/Death Metal. - Video - November 10th, 2012
- technocalyps pt 1 - transhuman - Video - November 10th, 2012
- HALF-LIFE 2 Episode 1 - [ part 8 ] - WE'RE DEAD! - Video - November 10th, 2012
- The weird world of the hair weave - November 10th, 2012
- Believer - Ego Machine - Lyrics - Video - November 3rd, 2012