From Eric Dondero:
Ron Paul appeared on Larry King Live on Monday night, along with Co-guests humorist Ben Stein and ironically Rep. Sheila Jackon-Lee of Houston. The subject: The Muslim Christmas Bomber.
Stein has been a longtime favorite of cultural libertarians ever since the iconic 1980s hit movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, where he played the monotonous high school teacher, droning “Bueller… Bueller…”
Stein is a loyal and outspoken Republican. He’s been a contributing editor to libertarian/conservative American Spectator, and a regular free enterprise advocate guest on cable business shows. He now hosts a game show on MTV.
So, it’s especially ironic that libertarian-leaning Republican Stein would be chosen to go up against another individual often identified as “libertarian” Ron Paul. (Praise for Stein from )
The segment quickly turned into a shouting match. Paul called the United States “occupiers,” and blamed the US for Muslim attacks. Stein responded by calling Paul an “anti-Semite.”
Here’s the partial transcript courtesy of PoliticsUSA:
STEIN: Well, that’s — I have never heard anything quite like that in my whole life. What he’s saying, basically, is we are doing something wrong by defending ourselves. Look, if these terrorists are trying to kill the government of Yemen, we’ve got to help defend them. They’re our friends. We can’t just let al Qaeda run wild. If we try to stop them —
STEIN: Why should we stop them? Because they are terrorists and murderers and they’re very anti-American.
PAUL: Why are they terrorists?
STEIN: Surely congressman —
PAUL: Why are they terrorists?
STEIN: They’re terrorists and murders because they are psychos.
Paul also asserted that terrorist AbdulMutallab was motivated by American bombings of terrorist sites in Yemen two weeks ago. However, it’s now being learned that AbdulMutallab and his handlers had planned the terrorist act, at least one month ago. Robert Spencer over at pens this devestating rebuke of Paul’s comments on CNN:
Obama believes essentially the same thing: that the jihad is a response to various actions of the West, which if we stop doing, all will be well. In line with this assumption, Paul apparently thinks that the Flight 253 jihad attack was a response to U.S. airstrikes in Yemen. However, according to an unnamed source in the White House quoted by Jake Tapper at ABC News, the Flight 253 jihadist had set his plot in motion before the airstrike. And it certainly seems that Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab had his mind on jihad for years.
Additionally, yet another terrorist attack with a virtually identical circumstance – syringe and explosive PETN in the passenger’s underwear – has just been discovered by the media. It occured 3 weeks ago at the airport in Mogadishu, clearly indicating that both attacks were coordinated by Yemeni Al Qaeda.
Since the spat with Stein, Paul has been receiving a great deal of praise and support from mostly 9/11 Truther blogs, Alex Jones sites, and of course, Lew Rockwell and AntiWar.com.
One site in defending Paul, said that Stein was “playing the anti-Semite card,” and noted that Stein:
“is Jewish [and] under psychiatric care.”
Another popular site among Truthers and Anti-Warists, , said the following:
Ron Paul… gets hit with the usual Jew crap… neither of them will say the Jew out loud because they can’t and still get any exposure… The Jew knows the real history and the Jew Question…Phony Al Qaeda CIA/MOSSAD people may have picked-up on this particular idiot Negro [AbdulMutallab]…
why don’t we just pull all our troops back home from the Mideast? Let’s do exactly what Ron Paul says we should. And give Israel the finger while we’re at it. How does that sound, America?
To be clear, Ron Paul is not an Anti-Semite and would abhor such statements. In fact, Stein has since offered a bit of an olive branch, retracting the “Anti-Semite” accusation in a brief editorial at. However, it’s quite alarming that individuals such as the fringe bloggers mentioned above, gain inspiration from Paul’s anti-intervenionist talk to use for their own racist means.
Meanwhile, other more mainstream political sites have come to Stein’s defense. comments:
At least Ben Stein had enough sense to take it to Congressman Paul.
I once was mildly enthused by Congressman Paul now I think he’s gone over the deep end. He does not understand that Islam is the motivation for the attacks on the United States. And anyone who does not realize that puts our lives in danger by seeking to appease these radicals.
The Nation’s #1 Right site hosted by Michelle Malkin and Ed Morrissey, is more succinct:
Ron Paul is a “useful idiot.”
You can see the entire segment of Larry King Live at .
IMPORTANT EDITOR’S NOTE: The views expressed in this article are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of all LR contributors and writers.
DISCLOSURE: I worked for Ron Paul on and off for 15 years, first as his Personal Travel Aide in his 1987/88 Libertarian Presidential campaign, then again briefly in 1992, and then as his Campaign Coordinator in 1995/96 for Congress, and finally as his Senior Congressional Aide, and District Policy Advisor, from 1997 – 2003.
(2) Libertarian Leanings blog
(4) Jihad Watch
(8) American Spectator
(9) Blue Collar Blog
- Virginia Libertarian Candidates' Forum, part 4 - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Crazy Hacker/Libertarian gets overly excited about BitCoin - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Libertarian Prepper Truther Patriot Christian Meetup - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Vision-Black Libertarian (Jay-z ft. Nas- Black Republican Freestyle) - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Libertarian Blues - Video - May 21st, 2013
- The Dr. Mark Foster Show: Contrasting Critical Realist and Libertarian Approaches to Freedom - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Virginia Libertarian Candidates Forum - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Libertarian Party: Don't waste time investigating IRS, abolish it NOW along with income tax - May 20th, 2013
- Virginia Libertarian Candidates Forum, part 3 - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Libertarian Caller Attacks Liberals for Benghazi Cover-Up - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Notus Podcast #6 w/ Libertarian Ann Archist AKA RonPaulGirl - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Chomsky laughs "A Libertarian who believes in community" - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Not Agreeing on Much with Libertarian Executive Director - Video - May 18th, 2013
- FTL Slavery A Libertarian Cliche - May 18th, 2013
- 369. Does the Internet Have a Libertarian Future? | Paul Rosenberg - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Give Up - May 18th, 2013
- Libertarian V2 - Video - May 18th, 2013
- 2013 Betfred Dante Stakes - Libertarian - Video - May 18th, 2013
- RE: (Thom Hartmann Explodes at Libertarian over Life-Saving Healthcare) - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Libertarian frees up Derby odds with Yorkshire win - May 18th, 2013
- Dawn Approach hardens as Derby favourite after Libertarian Dante shock - May 18th, 2013
- Dante Delight for Leyburn trainer Elaine Burke as Libertarian springs York Racecourse shock - May 16th, 2013
- Libertarian stays on best to claim shock win in Dante Stakes - May 16th, 2013
- Joy for Yorkshire and Bolger as Libertarian storms to brilliant Dante victory - May 16th, 2013
- Libertarian produces Dante upset - May 16th, 2013
- Dante Stakes, prep for Epsom Derby, goes to Libertarian in an upset - May 16th, 2013
- Libertarian upstages Dante rivals - May 16th, 2013
- Libertarian wins Dante Stakes - May 16th, 2013
- Nipples The Libertarian - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Fair weather Libertarian? - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Libertarian Activist With History of PTSD Calls for Armed D.C. March - May 15th, 2013
- Is This the Libertarian Moment? - May 15th, 2013
- Michael Gerson: IRS abuses bring out the libertarian in each of us - May 15th, 2013
- Jason Sorens Presentation at the 2013 NY Libertarian Party Convention - Video - May 13th, 2013
- Ian Hosein Organizational Leadership in the Libertarian Party - Video - May 13th, 2013
- Libertarian party's senate candidate smokes marijuana in Hamilton park - May 13th, 2013
- Are the new Texas laws "Nullification" of federal law? Libertarian V. Socialist debate - Video - May 12th, 2013
- Libertarian Calls On Gun-Toting Protesters to March on Washington - Video - May 12th, 2013
- Fey's View from the Right: Libertarians might serve Norwich better - May 11th, 2013
- Delusional Libertarian Doesn't Know Why Corporations Exist - Video - May 10th, 2013
- Wyandotte County Libertarian Party to host meeting - May 10th, 2013
- Is Rand Paul a Libertarian? SPOONER - Video - May 8th, 2013
- Angst-Ridden Libertarian Can't Give Me a Reason for His Criticism - Video - May 8th, 2013
- CANDIDATES UP CLOSE: Libertarian - May 8th, 2013
- Judge Andrew P Napolitano discusses the Libertarian Party w_ Glenn Beck - May 6th, 2013
- MSNBC Calls Alex Jones "Right-Wing Extremist", Even Though Alex Is a Libertarian (media is retarded) - Video - May 6th, 2013
- The Libertarian Movement in a nutshell - Video - May 6th, 2013
- Karen Straughan (GirlWritesWhat) Presentation at the 2013 NY Libertarian Convention - Video - May 6th, 2013
- Libertarian Bans Me After Refusing to Answer Question - Video - May 6th, 2013
- Libertarian Rap (U.S Gov. Class) - Video - May 6th, 2013
- GWW at 2013 NY Libertarian Convention - Video - May 6th, 2013
- My address to the NY Libertarian Party - Video - May 6th, 2013
- Libertarian Double-Douche: Rand Paul LIES, Rewrites Himself - May 4th, 2013
- Excalibur, Libertarian Parties vying for your vote - May 4th, 2013
- Libertarian candidate claims county is trying to block him from ballot - May 4th, 2013
- Ken Braun: Evolution of Libertarian Republicans is a one-way street - May 4th, 2013
- SC’s libertarian Republicans take aim at chairman, Graham - May 4th, 2013
- Cruise Ships As a Libertarian Thought Experiment (Voluntary Society, Jurisdiction) - Video - May 3rd, 2013
- After Boston, Division in the Libertarian Ranks: My Response to Jim Harper - May 3rd, 2013
- Libertarian Party opposes Lake income tax - May 1st, 2013
- Robert Sarvis Speaks to Libertarian Party of Virginia - April 21, 2013 - Video - April 29th, 2013
- Swedish Libertarian has a question about the roads - Video - April 29th, 2013
- Rand Paul Believes in Amazingly Broad Police Powers for a Libertarian - April 29th, 2013
- Speech at Anarchy in NYC (Libertarian Ann Archist) - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Fertilizer Plant Explosion: The New Libertarian Paradise? - Video - April 27th, 2013
- The Flaw in Libertarian Theology - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Here's What Your Libertarian Paradise Looks Like - Video - April 27th, 2013
- Libertarians meet - April 26th, 2013
- For a Libertarian, Rand Paul Supports Awfully Broad Police Powers - April 24th, 2013
- Libertarian response to Peter Joseph - April 20th, 2013
- Berger switches to Libertarian Party - April 20th, 2013
- The Libertarian Angle: April 15, 2013 - Video - April 19th, 2013
- KOL 040 | Discussion with a Pro-Intellectual Property Libertarian - Video - April 19th, 2013
- Genesee County Libertarian Committee holds first meet-and-greet fundraiser - April 17th, 2013
- Freedom In The United States: Is There A Conservative/Libertarian Divide? - April 17th, 2013
- John Stossel ~ Libertarian Evolution - Video - April 16th, 2013
- Genesee County Libertarian Committee Holds First Meet and Greet, Fundraiser Event - April 16th, 2013
- Legalizing Marijuana - Libertarian Perspective - Video - April 14th, 2013
- Libertarian Anarchy: Tom Woods Talks to Gerard Casey - Video - April 14th, 2013
- Dear liberals - April 13th, 2013