As sea levels around the world continue to rise, countries continue to explore new and innovative techniques to protect infrastructure and coastal communities.
In the Netherlands, a team of engineers is currently exploring the possibility of what life might be like if people lived and worked at sea.
Researchers from Maritime Research Institute Netherlands (Marin) recently tested out a floating mega island which is made of 87 large floating triangles and can reach as large as 5 km (3 miles). The island was put through a simulation where it withstood waves with a height of 50 feet (15 meters).
The floating islands could be a future housing solution in locations such as the Netherlands and parts of the southeastern United States coast, which are at risk from rising seas.
As sea level rises, cities become overcrowded and more activities are carried out at sea, raising the dikes and reclaiming land from the seas are perhaps no longer an effective solution,” said Olaf Waals, project manager and the concept developer for Marin. An innovative alternative that fits with the Dutch maritime tradition is floating ports and cities.
A recent study from University of Florida researchers said that sea-level rise is accelerating in parts of the southeastern U.S.
The study, published in Geophysical Research Letters, said sea levels rose dramatically between Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and Miami from 2011 to 2015, and during that time, the rise was six times more than the global average sea rise attributed to climate change.
The reason for the accelerated rise, or “hot spot,” is being attributed to a “one-two punch from naturally occurring climate variations,” specifically El Nio and the North Atlantic Oscillation.
In a statement, Arnoldo Valle-Levinson, lead author of the study and professor of civil and coastal engineering sciences, described the future for some southeastern U.S. cities as Venice-like.
We need to understand that the ocean is coming, Valle-Levinson said.
In a recent interview with Nola.com, Waals said cities such as New Orleans may need space where they could develop or put homes as sea levels rise.
Waals said their first test was to see how the 26-foot-wide model behaves in wind, waves and currents, and it “did well because the island flexes with the waves.”
“The first row of triangles bend with the waves but also reflect the energy of the waves,” Waals said. “It would be feasible to actually absorb a lot of the wave energy.”
Testing was conducted in Marin’s offshore model basin, a large pool where ocean waves, winds and currents can be simulated.
The project has been underway for about a year, and in that time, the research team developed the triangular shaped islands and planned how they wanted to connect them, Erik-Jan De Ridder a senior project manager for Marin told AccuWeather in an email.
Possible uses include providing working space for cultivating food, such as fish; loading and transporting cargo in areas where there is little infrastructure; and storing, generating and maintaining sustainable energy, like solar power.
Some of the benefits of the islands include the ability to be easily extended by connecting additional islands, as well as easily remove islands.
Drawbacks include potential ecological problems like how the islands could block sunlight from reaching aquatic plants. There will also be considerable economical and technical challenges as well as government regulations to overcome before these islands could become a reality, according to De Ridder.
Many questions remain including how strong the islands need to be to withstand winds and currents, how traffic and transportation would be organized and what effect the motion of the island could have on the people who would live and work there.
Marin will next look to conduct testing in intermediate-sized bodies of water where there is some type of shelter, like a bay. Eventually, the group will aim to move large structures offshore.
De Ridder said it’s difficult to say how soon it will be before housing is possible since they are in the early stages of development, but in 10 years it might be possible to have several houses in a sheltered area.
People will have to get used to the idea that you can live on a floating island, De Ridder said.
Read more from the original source:
- Floating island will battle algae in Davenport park - Quad-Cities Online - August 25th, 2017
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - August 25th, 2017
- Spill of farmed Atlantic salmon near San Juan Islands much bigger ... - The Seattle Times - August 25th, 2017
- Tony de Brum, Voice of Pacific Islands on Climate Change, Dies at 72 - New York Times - August 25th, 2017
- The Lakshadweep islands: a sublime coral jewel - Reuters - August 25th, 2017
- Red Raiders' Gray competing for Team Virgin Islands at FIBA AmeriCup Championships - LubbockOnline.com - August 25th, 2017
- The best beach islands are in the Caribbean - Cleveland Jewish News - August 25th, 2017
- Magdalen Islands, where kitesurfers go to fly - CBC.ca - August 25th, 2017
- Island - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2017
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - August 22nd, 2017
- Food - Islands Menu | Islands Restaurants - August 22nd, 2017
- Best Islands in the World - 2016 Travelers Choice Awards ... - August 22nd, 2017
- Islands (band) - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2017
- Tony de Brum, Voice of Pacific Islands on Climate Change, Dies at 72 - New York Times - August 22nd, 2017
- River Action plans to install floating islands in local lagoons - KWQC-TV6 - August 22nd, 2017
- Commemorating WWII History in the Solomon Islands - Smithsonian - August 22nd, 2017
- At Least 1 Dead After Earthquake Hits Italian Resort Island - TIME - August 22nd, 2017
- Trump Pick to Oversee Worker Protections Promoted Sweatshops - Mother Jones - August 22nd, 2017
- Westmoreland's most wanted man to be extradited from Cayman Islands - Jamaica Gleaner - August 22nd, 2017
- Davis Islands Estate Boasts Gourmet Style - Patch.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Resorts in Georgia | Lanier Islands - Official Website ... - August 21st, 2017
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - August 21st, 2017
- Island - Wikipedia - August 21st, 2017
- Golden Isles GA. - St. Simons, Little St. Simons, Jekyll ... - August 21st, 2017
- Love Island champ Amber Davies says she's only bought one thing with her 50k prize - Metro - August 21st, 2017
- Join the search for surf deep in the Canaries - Red Bull - August 21st, 2017
- 16000 Indonesian islands registered at UN - Jakarta Post - August 21st, 2017
- The Islands of Ireland: Knight to remember on Clare Island - Irish Examiner - August 21st, 2017
- Four new faces at OISD - Islands' Sounder - August 21st, 2017
- Chinese data buoy found in Andaman and Nicobar Islands - The New Indian Express - August 21st, 2017
- Last day for lake trout: Season closes in Apostle Islands area as ... - WDAZ - August 20th, 2017
- Historical society lecture to cover Cuttyhunk and the Elizabeth Islands - SouthCoastToday.com - August 20th, 2017
- Small earthquake strikes off Hawaii island's east coast - Fox News - August 20th, 2017
- HIGH SCHOOL ROUNDUP: Islands softball team shuts out Claxton 15-0 - Savannah Morning News - August 20th, 2017
- Calvary shuts out Islands in Stroud's return - Savannah Morning News - August 19th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey slams Caribbean islands, heads for Central America - USA TODAY - August 19th, 2017
- Anambas Islands to finish airport expansion in September - Jakarta Post - August 19th, 2017
- Love Island's Georgia Harrison announces she's SPLIT from Sam Gowland as she says one girl wasn't enough for him - Mirror.co.uk - August 19th, 2017
- DNR Ending Lake Trout Season Early In Apostle Islands Region - Wisconsin Public Radio News - August 19th, 2017
- Solomon Islands undersea cable red-flagged by Australia's spy agencies dogged by donation allegations - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 19th, 2017
- Pacu Jalur Festival to enliven Riau Islands - Jakarta Post - August 19th, 2017
- Weymouth neighbors transform traffic islands into memorials - The Patriot Ledger - August 18th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey Begins to Drench the Windward Islands; Tropical Storm Conditions Expected to Arrive Early Friday - The Weather Channel - August 18th, 2017
- Bids for low-number Cape and Islands license plates reach almost $13000 - The Boston Globe - August 18th, 2017
- The Untimely Death Of A Marshall Islands Visionary - Honolulu Civil Beat - August 18th, 2017
- Nearly 100 percent chance of cyclone east of Windward Islands: NHC - Reuters - August 18th, 2017
- George Smith: Life on Maine islands is inspiring - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - August 16th, 2017
- Trust's solution to Orkney islands abandoned houses - BBC News - August 16th, 2017
- Loved wife and mother dies in Cook Islands - Stuff.co.nz - August 16th, 2017
- The Boom Piers: How Berlin, NH's Islands in the Stream Came To Be - New Hampshire Public Radio - August 16th, 2017
- Tree 'islands' nixed in latest Water Street plan - Port Townsend Leader - August 16th, 2017
- Report: Migrants Trapped in Bad Conditions on Greek Islands | Time ... - TIME - August 15th, 2017
- Like a prison Asylum-seekers confined to the Greek Islands - ReliefWeb - August 15th, 2017
- Falling tree kills 13 on Portuguese island of Madeira - BBC News - August 15th, 2017
- Fitch Lowers US Virgin Islands All the Way to Triple-C - Barron's - August 15th, 2017
- Paon Eatery in Bay Harbor Islands Is Simply Great - Miami New Times - August 15th, 2017
- Another loss on Virgin Islands exhibition tour - Nashville Post (subscription) (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- Paradise Island in Perry Hall, Maryland with Reviews - YP.com - August 14th, 2017
- Solomon Islands signs security deal with Australia to protect against unrest - The Guardian - August 14th, 2017
- How Island Nations Are Bound Together by More Than Water - Cond Nast Traveler - August 14th, 2017
- Japan, Russia mull cruises around disputed islands as part of joint economic activities - The Japan Times - August 14th, 2017
- 4 Outdoor Adventures in California's Channel Islands National Park - HuffPost - August 14th, 2017
- Why I'll Keep Returning To My People's Haven, The Twin Islands - Huffington Post Canada - August 14th, 2017
- Completion Date of Staten Island's Giant Wheel Still Up in the Air - New York Times - August 14th, 2017
- NHC sees 20 percent chance of cyclone near Cape Verde Islands - Reuters - August 14th, 2017
- The Islands of Ireland: When you come to a Fork in the sea - Irish Examiner - August 14th, 2017
- The English dialect Brits won't understand - BBC News - August 14th, 2017
- The 10 Best Hotels in Virginia Beach, VA (with Prices from ... - August 13th, 2017
- Defending men's long-course champions win Casco Bay Islands SwimRun - Press Herald - August 13th, 2017
- City in Iowa to use man-made islands to clean creek - San Francisco Chronicle - August 13th, 2017
- Auction for Lower-Number Cape & Islands Plates Starts Today - Cape Cod Today - August 13th, 2017
- Solomon Islands celebrates Coastwatchers and 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Guadalcanal - HuffPost - August 13th, 2017
- Neighbor Islands should not pay for rail in Honolulu - Maui News - August 13th, 2017
- Once in a lifetime experience: partial eclipse on Aug. 21 - Islands' Sounder - August 13th, 2017
- Secaucus, NJ Treasure Island - Yellow Pages - August 12th, 2017
- When the US Military Came to Guam - The Atlantic - August 12th, 2017
- Minefields set up by Argentine forces on the Falkland Islands are costing British taxpayers 2million a year to ... - The Sun - August 12th, 2017
- Water Bank -- Island homes swell in value as acquirers relish barrier retreats, secluded properties wrapped by marsh ... - Charleston Post Courier - August 12th, 2017
- Opinion: Why there's more to the Blasket Islands then Peig Sayers - Independent.ie - August 12th, 2017
- China protests US ship sailing by island in South China Sea - ABC News - August 11th, 2017