Leading up to and immediately following the Obamacare Supreme Court decision, most health care stocks and funds were in focus. Companies and ETFs in this space saw outsized trading volumes as a result, while many slumped as soon as the final decision was revealed.
Most of the health care firms have since rebounded with many segments of the important industry seeing their stocks rise by a few percentage points over the past week. However, one corner of the industry has stuck out as a big loser, unable to recoup its losses after the announcement; health care plans/HMOs (read Health Care ETFs in Focus On Obamacare Supreme Court Decision).
Overall, this has easily been the worst performing segment over the past week in the broad health care space as all of the biggest companies in the industry are in the red. This is in sharp contrast to the pharma, biotech, and medical device/instrument firms, which have all managed to start July on a strong note.
This trend is especially puzzling because of what the Obamacare ruling could do for the HMO space. Many analysts believe that the controversial individual mandate would be a boon for HMO providers as it would add millions to their rolls, with many being very healthy and younger individuals.
Seemingly, investors have instead focused in on the fact that children will get to stay on the parents plans and the new stipulations regarding a lack of lifetime care caps and rules regarding pre-existing conditions. These changes could potentially cancel out any benefits from the millions of fresh new clients and could possibly be the reason for health care plan companies slump after the Supreme Court decision.
Thanks to this negative sentiment, all six of the health care plan providers in the S&P 500 are down significantly over the past week. This includes a near 11.6% loss for WellPoint (WLP), 7.6% slump for Aetna (AET), a 7.1% slide in Coventry Health Care (CVH), and a nearly 6% loss for the biggest of the bunch, UnitedHealth Care (UNH).
To me, this seems a bit overdone, particularly considering the solid performances that investors have seen in the rest of the health care space. After all, over the past week, the Health Care Select Sector SPDR (XLV) is actually up about 1%, demonstrating that the sickness in health care stocks is pretty much only afflicting health care plans/HMOs at this time (see The Five Best ETFs over the Past Five Years).
Another factor to consider for the HMO space is the current Zacks Industry Rank. At time of writing, the HMO segment was currently rankedadmittedly in a rather large tiefor 106 out of 265 from this metric. This includes a few firms that are Ranked 2 or Buy while it should also be noted that the segment has surged by about 50 places in the past week, suggesting that the underlying fundamentals for the space arent as bad as investors have experienced over the past few days.
While it should be noted that all this could change as we approach the summer earnings season, the space could still be an intriguing choice for investors looking for a beaten down sector in todays market environment.
What do you think? Is now the time to get in on health plan providers/HMOs? Or should investors continue to hold out and put their cash to work in other corners of the health care market?
See the rest here:(1) What Happened to Health Care Provider Stocks?
- On the front lines of health care in Mali - Video - May 24th, 2013
- Computers, health care, and the future By Richard P Holm MD - Video - May 24th, 2013
- Clearwater Home Health Care - Easy Living Home Health Care for Seniors (727-448-0900) - Video - May 24th, 2013
- UCLA Health Care Strike part I, Stella Patchouli reporting! - Video - May 24th, 2013
- Dr Ben Carson Responds To IRS Scandal - May 24th, 2013
- Iowa House takes final action on health care for 150,000 low-income Iowans - May 24th, 2013
- Health care: Expansion includes state-paid premiums - May 24th, 2013
- Health care reforms not keeping pace with needs of Canadians, says report - May 24th, 2013
- Health care resolution - Video - May 22nd, 2013
- IRS Official in Charge During Tea Party Targeting Now Runs Health Care Office - Video - May 22nd, 2013
- Health care segment - Video - May 22nd, 2013
- Summer Skin - May 22nd, 2013
- Obama Health Care Questions - Video - May 22nd, 2013
- TRIFECTA: ObamaCare Will Disrupt Your Health Care and Your Life - Video - May 22nd, 2013
- Health Care and Medical Information Smartphone App for Alzheimer's Caregivers - Video - May 22nd, 2013
- HHS-CCSC Awards Honor Efforts to Eliminate Health Care-Associated Infections - May 22nd, 2013
- American Workers' Health Care Costs Increase Again - May 22nd, 2013
- Health Care: In the IRS we trust? - May 22nd, 2013
- Health care execs: No surprise Henry Ford-Beaumont merger was called off - May 22nd, 2013
- Tentative accord on health care for low-income Iowans - May 22nd, 2013
- Quality Improvement and Health Care Delivery Reform -- 2013 - Video - May 21st, 2013
- Ministry Health Care cutting 200+ jobs - May 21st, 2013
- Health care reform and $48 milk - May 21st, 2013
- SF Restaurants Could Be Involved in Health Care Fight - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Martin Bashir - Conservatives push grand Obama 'conspiracy' on IRS, AP, health care - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Daily English News - Bachmann: IRS Targets Groups, Then Health Care? - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Chonburi Health Care School Nursing1 - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Progress on Immigration Reform, Another Vote to Repeal Health Care, and Obama's Cabinet - Video - May 20th, 2013
- Health care costs push off baby boomers' retirement plans - May 20th, 2013
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Upgrades Teradata Integrated Data Warehouse to Power Analytics for Healthcare Reform - May 20th, 2013
- Health Care Act | Nancy Pelosi | Oxford Union - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Why Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy reaffirms the importance of the Affordable Health Care Act - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Health care reform employer mandate - Video - May 19th, 2013
- MSNBC Clinics: Bringing Free Health Care To New Orleans - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Fox's Dobbs Revives False Claim That Health Care Costs Have Doubled - Video - May 19th, 2013
- New health care model centers on the patient - May 19th, 2013
- Health care costs decline for retired couples - Sun, 19 May 2013 PST - May 19th, 2013
- Health care workers sickened by SARS-like virus - May 19th, 2013
- Health care reform law will enable subsidies, may slash COBRA usage - May 19th, 2013
- Health Care Law Under Scrutiny Amid Widening IRS Probe - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Universal Health Care aa'eku Furihama Sihhatheh Gaimu - Eyrun tharahQeegaimu - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Bachmann: IRS Targets Groups, Then Health Care? - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Technology to Trim America's Health Care Fat - May 18th, 2013
- Wisconsin surgeon indicted on health care fraud counts - May 18th, 2013
- Surgeon indicted on health care fraud counts - May 18th, 2013
- GOP hopes IRS scandal will snag health care law - May 18th, 2013
- EQuiP Equity Conference: Christos Lionis - The crisis and the equity of health care (Greece) - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Volunteer Abroad Guatemala Health Care Program Adams State College with Abroaderview.org - Video - May 16th, 2013
- U.S., Ugandan One Health Program Educates Health Care Workers - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Sabra Health Care REIT, Inc. to Present at the California Association of Health Facilities CEO Conference - May 16th, 2013
- Novel Coronavirus Infects Two Health Care Workers - May 16th, 2013
- Health care workers sickened by new virus - May 16th, 2013
- Lung Cancer Second Opinion - Aurora Health Care - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Breast Cancer Second Opinion - Aurora Health Care - Video - May 15th, 2013
- This Week In Health Care May 10th_ - Video - May 15th, 2013
- EQuiP Spring Conference Paris 9 Piet van den Busche - Teaching Equity in Health Care - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Obama Pushes Health Care To Moms - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Christopher Hitchens on Mother Teresa, Health Care, Conspiracies, Homosexuality (1994) - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Mental health care - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Obama Don't _Jam_ Through Health Care Until Brown Seated - Video - May 15th, 2013
- City seniors worry about their future health care - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Sicko Review: Why is Health Care Not a Basic Human Right? - Video - May 15th, 2013
- Saracene: Health care changes are coming in '14 - May 15th, 2013
- Health care breach victims plummet - May 15th, 2013
- Nancy-Ann DeParle: Health care reforms proving critics wrong - May 15th, 2013
- Obama: Obamacare Is Enhancing Health Care - Video - May 13th, 2013
- New Jersey Health Care Talent Network "Industry Week" - Video - May 13th, 2013
- Telemedicine: A bridge to better health care for Native Hawaiians - Video - May 13th, 2013
- Health Care Reform Brings Michigan A New, Consumer-Owned Insurer - May 13th, 2013
- Health care providers talking more to each other - May 13th, 2013
- Health care worker indicted; accused of breaking arm - May 13th, 2013
- Small businesses mull health care overhaul's impact - May 13th, 2013
- Health Care Costs Exposed - Video - May 12th, 2013
- No Sheila, Health Care And Education Are NOT Constitutional Rights - Video - May 12th, 2013
- White House launches health care offensive - Video - May 12th, 2013
- Obama Wades Back Into the Health Care Debate - Video - May 12th, 2013
- Health care exhibition attracts global players - May 12th, 2013
- Nurses pivotal to health care system: President - May 12th, 2013
- Health care heroes sought - May 12th, 2013
- Ed is back, and fired up on health care! - May 12th, 2013