After weeks of debate over whether the Prevention and Public Health Fund, created by President Obamas health care law, affects womens health, Republicans are airing additional complaints about the pool of money and how states and communities have used the fund to support a string of questionable initiatives.
The future of the fund, which got $1 billion this year and is slated to get $1.25 billion in 2013, has been a hot topic on Capitol Hill, where congressional Republicans want to kill it and use the money to pay for an extension of student-loan interest-rate subsidies, while Democrats have vowed to defend it as a key part of Mr. Obamas health care legacy.
In fact, Mr. Obama has vowed to veto House Republicans student-loan bill because it eliminates the prevention fund, claiming that Republicans are trying to force Democrats to choose between backing students and supporting womens health.
Last week, he told high school students in Northern Virginia that Republicans are only going to prevent the student loans from doubling if they can cut things like preventative health care for women instead.
The argument that slashing the prevention fund would hurt womens health has been widely debunked over the past week, but Republicans are honing in on the money stream for other reasons as well.
Sen. Susan Collins of Maine and Rep. Darrell E. Issa of California, the top Republicans on the Senate and House oversight committees, are questioning whether the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is using some of the funds properly. They said the healthy living money is being used to pay for campaigns to change state laws, which could violate federal rules against using taxpayer dollars for lobbying.
While I strongly support the wellness and prevention mission of the CDC, Miss Collins said last week, I also support the safeguards Congress has put in place on the use of federal funds to protect against the misuse of tax dollars. Every dollar spent on inappropriate or illegal activities is a dollar that didnt go toward saving lives and improving health.
Rep. Cliff Stearns, Florida Republican, who chairs the House Energy and Commerce oversight subcommittee, during a hearing Wednesday questioned the funds spending to promote recreational destinations, intergenerational urban gardening and community bike-sharing programs around the country.
Money from one of the funds anti-obesity campaigns, Mr. Stearns said, was provided to Kauai, Hawaii, to develop remote school drop-off sites to encourage students and staff to walk farther distances to school entrances.
Perhaps [the Health and Human Services Department] is telling Congress that we should eliminate mass transit as part of our war against obesity, he said. Incredibly, this same program also funded free pet spaying and neutering. While a laudable goal, the Department of Health and Human Services should focus its limited resources on human health.
Read more:(1) Health care law's prevention money called 'slush fund'
- Singapore's Affordable Health Care System Excellence - Video - June 17th, 2013
- Branstad to sign new health care law Thursday in Mason City - June 17th, 2013
- Mobile Health Devices Can Improve Health Care Access in Developing Countries - June 17th, 2013
- Hamilton advocates say cuts to refugee health care are unethical - June 17th, 2013
- Branstad to sign health care deal - June 17th, 2013
- Yaron Answers: Health Care In Emergencies Under Capitalism - Video - June 16th, 2013
- IRS - Search - June 16th, 2013
- Citi: Money2 for Health On The Scene: Citi Health Care Investor Conference - Video - June 16th, 2013
- The Affordable Health Care Act (Obama Care) - Video - June 16th, 2013
- OBAMACARE TROUBLE:IRS Scandals Threaten Health Care Funding - June 16th, 2013
- 2014 Senate Democrats firm up health care support - Boston.com - June 16th, 2013
- IRS Scandals Threaten Funding For Health Care Law - June 16th, 2013
- Health care law remains deeply divisive - June 16th, 2013
- Health care providers vent frustrations about Medicaid system, patients - June 16th, 2013
- Is Health Care for Small Business in Critical Condition? by OPEN Forum - Video - June 15th, 2013
- Sportsmen rest in child's pose in gym during workout. Conscious health care. Stock Footage. - Video - June 15th, 2013
- Affordable Health Care Still A Dream For Rural Kenya - Video - June 15th, 2013
- health care project SEMHS 003 - Video - June 15th, 2013
- health care project SEMHS 001 - Video - June 15th, 2013
- health care project SEMHS(Marisol) - Video - June 15th, 2013
- health care project SEMHS (abraham) #1 - Video - June 15th, 2013
- health care project SEMHS (abraham) #3 - Video - June 15th, 2013
- health care project SEMHS (abraham) #5 - Video - June 15th, 2013
- Tennessee Health Care The Daily Show 6 5 13 - Video - June 15th, 2013
- Rep. Fredette and his "man's brain" oppose health care funding - Video - June 15th, 2013
- Congress Members - June 15th, 2013
- Castlight Health CEO to Testify in Senate Finance Committee Hearing on Health Care Transparency - June 15th, 2013
- Health care law may still leave insurance unaffordable for low-wage workers - June 15th, 2013
- You're already paying for some undocumented immigrants' health care - June 15th, 2013
- Ex-metro home health care exec blames her thefts on shopping addiction - June 13th, 2013
- Health care explained - June 13th, 2013
- Massachusetts Health Quality Partners Helps Physicians and Patients Talk About Health Care Decisions - June 13th, 2013
- Health Care Price Growth Plummets to 1.1 Percent - June 13th, 2013
- 2013 Health Care Trends: The Care Crunch - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Obama Suggests Employers To Blame For Rising Health Care Costs; Not Obamacare - Wake Up America - Video - June 12th, 2013
- 2013 Small Business Summit Health Care Reform Panel Discussion - Video - June 12th, 2013
- The United States Should Ration Health Care - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Con: Health care rationing - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Barack Obama Speech on the Affordable Health Care Act in California - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Young Turks Dream Decade Episode 64 Part 3 - Forus Health Care - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Adult Day Health Care Tulsa - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Medicare Home Care Nurse in Broward - Home Health Care - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Broward Medicare Home Care - Medical Home Health Care - Video - June 12th, 2013
- Area residents, officials to discuss health care policies - June 12th, 2013
- Health Barrier: From insurance coverage to simply finding a doctor, health care presents challenges for the ... - June 12th, 2013
- Altarum Institute to Create Analytical Structure Linking Prevention to Health Care Costs - June 12th, 2013
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Selects Jiva, ZeOmega’s Care Management Software, for Utilization Management - June 12th, 2013
- Health Care Stocks: Performance Plus Value - June 12th, 2013
- Health care in Monsoon,Ayurveda way with Dr. Swapnil Bhanushali-TV9/part1 - Video - June 11th, 2013
- OPERS Health Care Series: Connector - Video - June 11th, 2013
- Restoring the City's Health and Health Care Systems After Sandy: Lessons for the Next Emergency - Video - June 11th, 2013
- 2/3 of Americans will likely pay ObamaCare fine because health care cost too expensive (Limbaugh) - Video - June 11th, 2013
- Obama Speaks About Veteran Mental Health Care - Around the Air Force - 6 June 2013 - Video - June 11th, 2013
- Health Care Law and You (Tongan) - Video - June 11th, 2013
- TIP 22 - Estimating Health Care Cost - Video - June 11th, 2013
- Animated Web Video for Health Care Management Company | HMA - Video - June 11th, 2013
- Autumn Health Care to fight local closure - June 11th, 2013
- Advocate Health Care President and CEO Honored by B'nai B'rith - June 11th, 2013
- Health care package set for 20,000 public pupils in Koronadal - June 11th, 2013
- Health Care for Men LifeStages TV - Video - June 9th, 2013
- Ethical Considerations - June 9th, 2013
- Remote Monitoring: Advancing the Science of Health Care Delivery - Mayo Clinic CV Grand Rounds - Video - June 9th, 2013
- Client Perspectives: Why Central Bancompany, Inc. Chose ADP to Help Them Navigate Health Care Reform - Video - June 9th, 2013
- the aging population and health care - Video - June 9th, 2013
- goal of primary health care - Video - June 9th, 2013
- Tennessee Health Care Alternatives The Daily Show 6 5 13 - Video - June 9th, 2013
- Marin leaders press for implementation of health care, immigration reforms - June 9th, 2013
- Comparison shopping for health care no easy feat - June 9th, 2013
- Baby Digestion - June 8th, 2013
- Health Care Costs Explained - Video - June 8th, 2013
- Neuman introduces legislation to combat health care fraud - June 8th, 2013
- 7 States With the Highest Health Care Costs - June 8th, 2013
- Priority Health Expands Access to Quality Health Care for Medicaid - June 8th, 2013
- Poll: Deep divide between parties on health care reform - June 8th, 2013
- Health care thorny issue in immigration debate - June 8th, 2013
- Faster analytics gives health care and life sciences The Power to Know® - Video - June 7th, 2013
- Mandating Health Care to Citizens is Unconstitutional - Video - June 7th, 2013
- Are The Uninsured Buying Into Health Care Law? - Video - June 7th, 2013
- Bankole Thompson talks with Detroit Area Health Care Executives - Video - June 7th, 2013
- North Shore Chamber Health Care Task Force Chairman, Bill Tinti - Video - June 7th, 2013