“ I don’t even know if that was a hammer that got dropped on their heads. More like a piano.”
-Anon Quote re: DTCG and Congressional hearings….
. She got an answer alright, more like a diatribe and then and answer.
In case you didn’t know, Mary is a writer for Newsweek and is thinking about doing a DTC genetic test kit. In fact, she bought the kit and it is staring her in the face. FYI, she’s not in New York, where such activity is illegal, she is in Boston, where it is encouraged……
She is taking opinions from just about everyone in the biz. And, yes, she has a comments section for all those Yahoos who feel left out…….
My recap here is what Newsweek wouldn’t put in their print, but as you know…..I am more than happy to put here for my readers enjoyment……
I want to know, have you thought about it? What can you and what can’t you learn? Since I have seen probably more patients with these types of tests than just about any clinician out there, I can tell you what the patients ask and what I tell them.
As an aside, You will die from something. Everyone dies. Even those . No amount of knock off stem cell clinics will help with that one. Even the G-Damn . In fact someone off’d him with rotten food….
Second aside, Isn’t funny how the in 2006 and they are still out there . Goes to show how much force the FDA or any other organization has to control commerce……I wonder what happens to the first batch who refuse to buy health insurance…..You can buy things that give you cancer or an erection, why not DTC tests? Properly regulated of course……
Ok, my buddy, who shall remain nameless as he is at Camp in PA for his kids right now had a patient come to him adamant she was of the royal lineage of the Czar (Russia). She paid a bundle to have her mito DNA checked…..Guess what? She wasn’t……..
P.T. Barnum once said
“You can fool some of the people all of the time; you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all of the people all of the time.” But what he forgot to say is, some people are fools all of the time……
Good Question Mary.
Mary, this is a medical test. And should be held to the same standards as other medical tests.
Mary, this is a medical tests and I advise you to have some clinician back up when reviewing these results. Even if they are negative, that doesn’t rule out a BRCA mutation. This test is confusing and should be regulated as a medical test.
The whole thing about Pharmacogenomovigilence is that ideally everyone would have a panel of these useful genotypes before dosing medications. But based on the soon to be available rapid turn around time here, we could do these in some labs overnight. The big question here is, is the DTCG test enough of a test to trust clinically?
I am not so certain as they miss certain SNPs and rare mutations that are important.
The Sherpa Says: Ok, Mary. You want it, you got. If you buy a test, you’ve got a guy just a few Acela Stops away who can help sort out the madness for you…….Clinically of course…..That is, if I haven’t convinced you otherwise…..
(2) When Ms. Carmichael approached me to answer a burning question for her
(3) Some say nothing
(4) hold the secrets that the government is trying to keep from you
(5) Google’s overlords are plotting to steal your children’s DNA
(6) transhumanist singularity punks die
(7) Buddha dies
(9) no matter what Proctor and Gamble tell you
(10) GAO bashed these nutrigenomics companies
(11) slinging there proton pills
(12) you are a carrier of a medically relevant condition.
- Genetic medicine unit now seeing 800 new cases a year in bid to prevent inherited cancers - May 16th, 2013
- Simple and inexpensive method to cut DNA could transform genetic medicine - January 10th, 2013
- Concepts In Genetic Medicine - Video - December 28th, 2012
- Immune System Changes May Drive Aggressiveness of Recurrent Tumors - December 28th, 2012
- Genetic Variations Cause Diabetes - December 26th, 2012
- Autism Cures Promised by DNA Testers Belied by Regulators - December 25th, 2012
- Concepts in Genetic - Video - December 24th, 2012
- Hundreds Of Genetic Mutations Linked To Autism - December 24th, 2012
- New Findings in the Search for Genetic Clues to Insulin Production - December 24th, 2012
- Three new genetic links to colorectal cancer - December 24th, 2012
- 3 new genetic links to colorectal cancer - December 24th, 2012
- Genetic clues to insulin production: Genomic analysis method helps track genetic contributors relevant to diabetes - December 24th, 2012
- Canadians answer call to share genetic data - December 22nd, 2012
- Major source of evolutionary differences among species uncovered - December 22nd, 2012
- Rogers Textbook of - Video - December 21st, 2012
- DNA Disruptors: Our Genetic Future (Pt. 3) - December 21st, 2012
- DNA Disruptors: Our Genetic Future (Pt. 2) - December 21st, 2012
- Genetic Mutations Lead To Autism And Other Disorders - December 21st, 2012
- DNA Disruptors: Our Genetic Future (Pt. 1) - December 21st, 2012
- Researchers reveal genetic basis for fundamental differences between humans and other vertebrates - December 21st, 2012
- Genetic action shows results on childhood brain disease Canavan - December 21st, 2012
- Genetic defect causing fragile X-related disorders more common than thought - December 21st, 2012
- Researchers Track The Origins Of HIV Through Genetic Variants - December 20th, 2012
- Study Finds Genetic Variation That Could Help Predict Mortality in Patients Suffering Sepsis - December 20th, 2012
- Genetic variation that could help predict mortality in patients suffering sepsis identified - December 20th, 2012
- The Promise -- and Perils -- of Personalized Medicine - December 20th, 2012
- Genetic manipulation of urate alters neurodegeneration in mouse model of Parkinson's disease - December 18th, 2012
- Move to protect traditional knowledge, genetic resources - December 18th, 2012
- Univ. of MD School of Medicine to study drug-resistant malaria in Myanmar - December 18th, 2012
- Report from the front lines of personalized reproductive medicine revolution - December 16th, 2012
- Two new genetic mutations associated with Cowden syndrome identified - December 14th, 2012
- Cleveland Clinic researcher identifies 2 new genetic mutations associated with Cowden syndrome - December 14th, 2012
- Home genetic test to dip to $99 - December 13th, 2012
- World's First "Hearts and Minds" Clinic for Adults with Genetic Syndrome - December 12th, 2012
- The £100 genetic map means everybody's DNA make-up could be available in 'very near future' - December 12th, 2012
- Genetic knowledge helps tailor treatment - December 12th, 2012
- Everybody's DNA could be on genetic map in 'very near future' - December 10th, 2012
- Genetic Fingerprint in Your Belly? - December 10th, 2012
- Hershey Medical Center's personalized medicine 'will do people in the community a lot of good,' expert says - December 9th, 2012
- Dispatch Special Report | Unlocking genetic secrets - December 9th, 2012
- Nobody Is Perfect: Study Shows People Have 400 Genetic Flaws In DNA - December 8th, 2012
- New Genetic Testing Reveals More Prenatal Abnormalities - December 8th, 2012
- Unlocking the genetic mysteries behind stillbirth - December 6th, 2012
- New prenatal genetic test gives parents more answers - December 6th, 2012
- A New Genetic Fingerprint Lives in Your Gut - December 6th, 2012
- Advanced Genetic Tests Spot More Defects Before Birth - December 6th, 2012
- Cancer, Genetic Risks and Precision Medicine Highlighted at Showcase - December 6th, 2012
- Genetic Test Reveals More About Potential Birth Defects Than Conventional Methods - December 6th, 2012
- Inflammation may be a cause of plaque buildup in heart vessels - December 5th, 2012
- International study points to inflammation as a cause of plaque buildup in heart vessels - December 5th, 2012
- Genetic variation recent, varies among populations - December 5th, 2012
- New Book on Genome and Personalized Medicine Preps Doctors for Changing Reality - December 5th, 2012
- Scientists identify 15 new genetic regions associated with coronary artery disease - December 5th, 2012
- Personalized Molecular Medicine Firm Genection Launched - December 5th, 2012
- Partners going personal - December 5th, 2012
- Weill Cornell researchers elected Fellows of AAAS - November 30th, 2012
- My Beautiful Genome: exposing our genetic future, one quirk at a time – review - November 26th, 2012
- New genetic test for fetus can give parents more questions than answers - November 16th, 2012
- 1092 human genomes sequenced to determine standard range of human genetic variation - November 2nd, 2012
- 03: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: why choose this course? - Video - October 30th, 2012
- 05: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: Manchester population genetics - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: Career prospects - Video - October 30th, 2012
- The Health Quarter - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Hope for Duchenne sufferers - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Dr. David Valle Speaks About Evolutionary Medicine - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Advancing Health Care: Personalized Genetic Medicine - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Implementing of Genetic Medicine Programs: Laboratories - Debra Leonard - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Deadly Medicine Panel Discussion: Meanings and Implications of Nazism and Eugenics - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Cancer Trends Plenary Session (part II) -- Bio-IT World Expo 2012 - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Targeting genetic medicine - Video - October 30th, 2012
- LA Society for the Arts in Healthcare Event - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Yolantha Harrison-Pace: Author, Poet, Playwright - Video - October 30th, 2012
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Show - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Dolan Lecture Series 2000 - Ronald G. Crystal, MD - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Implementation of Genetic Medicine Programs: Laboratories - Stephen Chanok - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Shane McKee: Showreel 1 - Video - October 30th, 2012
- 3D Printing: The Future of Manufacturing - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Richard Morimoto, 2nd International Conference «Genetics of Aging and Longevity» - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Update on Down Syndrome Research: A Collaboration Between DSRTF and NDSS - Video - October 30th, 2012
- Casey Analyst Forecasts Explosive Biotech Growth - October 18th, 2012